Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The reasons don’t matter. Whether he’s a lazy slob or an Adonis is irrelevant. What Becton is without a doubt this far is unreliable. Unreliable at RB, DT, LB, S…. That works. But being unreliable when you’re the guy that’s supposed to be keeping the QB upright and healthy is completely unacceptable. Period. It’s why he lost his starting LT job to Fant and has to at the very least win it back this camp. Personally I’m whatever when it comes to Becton but I think he should be a RT where his absence won’t be ao detrimental.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Serious shit... ;)

Mogriffjr, WilsonJetsFan and azhar80 like this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think the original timeline was for dislocation without surgery, once it goes to surgery that gets upped quite a bit and even if Becton may have had some fault for not controlling the weight, the team was lax in updating the press.

Then there was the issue of not getting full movement back right away. There is no way to say who was to blame there, was it due to Becton not working hard enough on rehab or was it just something that can happen.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

How 'bout dem Giants?

5. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Obviously nothing matters until we see what he does on the field and how long he can stay there for, but as several people have pointed out he looks to be in good shape in that picture. Much more slender and toned than he has been since he joined the team.

6. bicketybam

I wish we could stop with the notion that the injury last year was nothing more than a freak accident. And given the fact that the Jets defense was historically tragic and Wilson was pretty awful, there was no reason for him to come back before the end of the year. If anything it helped the staff see what they had in Fant who up until that point was universally hated here.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  7. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Well, the reasons kinda matter ...

Becton missed last year because GVR got pancaked into Becton's leg. It was a big deal, and it had nothing to do with Becton's reliability. Any player who got their knee rolled like that because of GVR's bad play would be missing a lot of time. If most players would have missed the whole season due to that same kind of fluke injury, then I don't see the argument that Becton is unreliable just because he had the misfortune of standing next to GVR while GVR was sucking. If most players would not have missed the whole season due to that fluke injury, then I see the argument that Becton is unreliable, but we're back to the reasons mattering.

8. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I remember Peyton Manning had to wait 2 years or more to play again because of a neck injury that led to many surgeries. Sometimes we think an injury will heal after X amount of months, but each injury and recovery is unique, just like the player who is suffering from those injuries.

Its easy to say Becton is lazy and injury prone, but to make it to the NFL, and have success shows that he obviously had or has the talent and the drive. There is no way you can be that big, strong, fast, and coordinated without putting in work. So I dont believe all this Becton is lazy, and doesnt what to play theories.

Look at Andrew Luck who had to retire early because of Injuries. Some ppl doubted his injuries also. But only the person suffering from those injuries truly knows what it's like to play or try to play with those injuries. Good thing is Becton is young and has the desire to quiet all the haters.
    I'm glad hes on our team and looking to take back his job.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

There was one motherfucker I expected to "like" that.....

10. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Well I meant from the horses mouth directly, but that counts. Unfortunately it got drowned out by being greatly outnumbered by numerous reports and Saleh/Douglas not backing that up.

Add in his weight issues (also reported by his own guy), and it from a far doesn’t look like he’s doing all he can to return in a timely fashion. Maybe I’m wrong, and would very much like to be, but I have my reservations.

The beauty of it is though, it’s not just about showing up for TC, it’s about playing all 17 games. And not just playing all 17 games, but playing well, remember the last time we saw him, he was struggling greatly in training camp. I VERY much hope he’s ready to roll and play well thkihh

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's amazing that you know that because neither Schefter nor Rapoport told us where they got their information.

And, for the record, Schefter never said it would be 4 - 6 weeks as he was quoted in the link posted here; his actual Tweet, posted the day after the injury said it was "expected" Becton would be out that amount of time. Since that was a week before the doctors even looked inside, taking that as some kind of guarantee was ridiculous.

12. Stevied

Somethings are obvious though, no? You really think there’s just as good if not a better chance that they made it up/googled it/etc than they got it from the Jets physicians?

13. Stevied

I’m not assuming he’s still recovering, forgive me if I painted that pic. I believe per Saleh his knee isn’t the reason he’s out, he’s recovered. So what does that leave? I’m more of the mindset your last paragraph seems to allude to, and correct me if I’m wrong, that he’s lazy and didn’t do what was required to be ready to roll.

So if that’s your (our) thesis, lazy/unprofessional/whatever you wanna call it, would one not be right to say that betrays your statement of not meriting concern?

#73 Stevied, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    KingRoach likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Don't come at me with googling the injury, it's nothing I said and nothing I have supported.

What is blatantly obvious is that Schefter used the word "expected" and Saleh used the word "minimum" but a handful of people here have found it quite convenient to totally disregard those words which have important meanings because they belie the agenda they have chosen.

15. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I don't think they made anything up. But we know that the story from the trainers/physicians kept changing. Originally it was a dislocated kneecap, then he needs surgery to address damaged cartilage. Originally it was 4-6 weeks minimum, then very quickly it became 4-8 weeks minimum, then we hear his trainer saying it was never that short. Things kept changing. Fans today want to look back at the original 4-6 week projection and assume anything beyond that was Becton being lazy, but I think there's a lot more to this injury than the initial stories suggested.
    Another part of the problem is that it's now been a year since Becton got injured, but that doesn't mean it took a year for him to heal/recover. Reports are that his knee no longer has any residual issues from the injury/surgery, and for all we know, that has been true since February or March. Given that training camp doesn't start until late July, it may be prudent to ensure the big guy takes as much time as he has available to bring the surrounding ligaments and muscles back gradually. Maybe not, but none of us know.
    We know that Saleh has not been enthused about Becton missing OTAs and that Becton has not been on target for the weight the coaches wanted. But with respect to the knee in particular, can anyone point to a statement from a coach or trainer that says or implies that Becton has not put in as much effort as they would have liked rehabbing the knee?

KingRoach likes this.
  16. Stevied

I didn’t solely, “come at you” with googling. If you look back, I listed another option as well as, “etc.” Leaving it open for you to fill me in on what you thought might be happening buddy boy.

On that note, I am curious as to what constitutes a believable report(er) to you, as it seems like you and I are diametrically opposed to what we do/don’t buy.

Once again, I ain’t mocking you, I’m legitimately curious. I don’t think I’m looking at how I view what I read overall incorrectly, but maybe your way is better.

#76 Stevied, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  17. bicketybam

.[​IMG]

18. Stevied

Per your last statement, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Something flat out ripping him isn’t something we’re likely to find from this staff, on the record. I’d argue that his own nutritionist saying he was at or above 400lbs would be something that betrays adequate effort being applied. Add that with what’s been reported, which I seem to be in the minority of believing, and I’d argue we’ve seen enough to arrive at my conclusion.

Lastly, I know there’s been some chatter from Bectons trainer saying that the original diagnosis was short of what it really was at that time. Does. Anyone else find it weird he didn’t provide a “correct” diagnosis? Presumably he’s going off of what a (or the) physician told him, and would share it if for nothing else than to change some of the villagers minds?

REVISion likes this.
  19. Ralebird

If I'm going to take anything a reporter states seriously, the more facts attached, names named and the specific language they used is of the highest importance in gauging how much credibility the report gets. Whether the casual reader understands the English language is questionable but I'm pretty confident that a professional writer is very careful in choosing his words to convey his message even if subtleties are lost on some readers. I presume nothing without questioning everything.

How is "buddy boy" consistent with not "mocking" someone?

20. Stevied

“Buddy boy,” at least in how I use it, is akin to, “my man”, “brotha” etc. Hope that clarifies things.

I wouldn’t have asked my question and prefaced it with “I’m not mocking you” if I wasn’t legitimate in what I was seeking. You’ve mentioned being involved in the political section on this message board I believe, so here’s a quote I live by when I want to mock or, or as you would say, “come at” someone that you may be familiar with. “I’m more of a, front-stabbing person.”

Your takes baffle me at times but I do enjoy our exchanges, I’m of the belief that mocking, insulting, etc is a good/quick way to end that. Consequently, I try and refrain from doing as much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.