Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Can we see more than 1 photo? I remember these same posts after the hype videos.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

My only issue is that he comes off as immature and extremely thin skinned. I'm rooting like hell for him to be dominant. I think Some vet needs to get in his ear and tell him the criticism from the Twitter trolls will only worsen with his "told ya so" comments and attitude.

Leicester Jet and Noam like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think it's a fine analogy. Being too heavy is a negative for every position, it's not a free lunch where you get heavier and stronger and maintain quickness and agility. It's a give and take. There's a balance that is best for each position.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, offensive tackle Mekhi Becton will be sidelined for four to eight weeks and will undergo knee surgery next Wednesday.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...undergo-surgery-for-knee-injury-out-4-8-weeks

When Mekhi Becton injured his knee in Week 1 against the Panthers, the consensus was that the starting left tackle would return in four-to-six weeks.

So, what exactly happened with Becton and his injury this past season?

Allow Mike Garafolo of NFL Network to explain:

Here's my understanding in speaking to sources familiar with what happened here. He was having issues. Obviously the knee did not come along as quickly as they had hoped. And then what happened was, because he wasn't able to do the kind of things that he needed to do to get into rehab and get back in shape, he put on weight. Weight has been an issue with Becton. We knew that coming into the draft, we knew that coming into his NFL career.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/nf...-happened-jets-mekhi-becton-mysterious-injury

Becton had arthroscopic surgery to repair the damaged knee on Sept. 21, and Jets coach Robert Saleh set the recovery timetable at a minimum 4-8 weeks. But 11 weeks later, Becton still isn't ready to return to practice.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/s...-becton-return-knee-injury-season/6432237001/

Jets starting left tackle Mekhi Becton will miss four to five weeks after suffering a knee cap dislocation in Sunday's loss to the Carolina Panthers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-lt-mekhi-becton-suffered-knee-cap-dislocation-in-loss-to-panthers

Great take chief.

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We have some professional Twitter trolls posting here daily. Get them on the job

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If BigBoi Becton comes into camp ripped & raring to go it will
    be the greatest comeback since Ross got back with Rachel!

cval likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yep is he any good?

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So, Doctor Schefter called it for 4 - 6 weeks and we should go all in on that? That's a hell of a take, even while running with Doctor Rapoport's conclusion it would only be 4 - 5 weeks. I've got a bit of a shoulder problem and the one thing that's certain in however I end up having it treated is that I will not be availing myself of the services of the Schefter Rapoport Group of Orthopedic Surgeons. Would you?

Thanks for including the Garofalo information where he said "Here's my understanding in speaking to sources familiar with what happened here. He was having issues. Obviously the knee did not come along as quickly as they had hoped." Looks like Doctor Schefter wasn't making allowances for things not going according to plan, right? The rest of the quote is immaterial to the initial time frame for recovery. Even Saleh, in your quote called it a "minimum 4 - 8 weeks." The bolded word bears much importance here. "Just everyone is different in terms of how they heal and all that stuff," Saleh said. Not a single one of your links supports the claim that Becton had a 4 - 6 week injury; neither does the calendar.

But hang onto your claim that Becton had an injury that would be fine in two months. That is a real bad take. Chief!

Mogriffjr likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He's a child in a man's body. Brain still is juvenile as evidenced by all the nonsense from his PR people and his twit account. Just like how everyone else is judged who works for a living, he will be judged by how well he does his job. Can't do that from the IRL.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Becton will never see a second contract from the Jets. He will either be cut, traded or leave as a free agent (my guess is free agent.) There is no way he signs here again.

JETFUEL1580 and Lon Chaney like this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I ran into him last night at the open-air kale and flavored water market.

[​IMG]

Pepsiguy5, Acad23 and Lon Chaney like this.
  11. REVISion

Yeah clearly Schefter and Rapoport made the diagnosis, they definitely weren't passing along what the doctors said.

12. Ralebird

Did they even claim doctors made those time frames? Did you ever meet a doctor who was so eager to be pinned down to such timelines?

Looks like Becton may soon be ready to play again; do you really want to continue to carry the torch for self-sabotage?

KingRoach and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't know. Most likely not. But he's not an "undrafted" guy. That was my point.

14. REVISion

Are you trolling? Do you think Schefter and Rapoport just watched the injury tape and took a guess? These things always get passed down from the surgeons to the coaches to the media. These timelines are given after every single injury that's going to cause someone to miss time.

Honestly, do you even watch football? This is like asking what the yellow flags on the field mean.

cval likes this.
  15. Ralebird

No one is trolling simply because they don't share the opinions of the great Revision. Of course irrelevancies such as watching football and yellow flags are definitely trolling.

PT Barnum was very happy with guys like you, and so are guys like Schefter and Rapoport. You'd rather take their words as gospel and tune in again tomorrow and disregard words like "minimum" rather than put your own experience with the medical field in front of a couple of sportswriters. I'll ask again - when have you ever had experience with a doctor or therapist who has given a recovery timeline set in stone? If a doctor won't give such a hard timeline why should a reporter? Disclaimers are everywhere and, I guess, so is the ability to ignore them if it serves your purpose; you may want to find the language Schefter used in his Tweet the day after the injury where he first mentioned 4 - 6 weeks.

#35 Ralebird, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

This sounds correct to me. But I do wonder why the original prediction was so far off. One possibility is that this really was the kind of injury that people recovery fully from in 4-6 weeks, but Becton was so lazy in his rehab that it took a year. Another possibility is that the doctors' prediction was way off. (Sometimes doctors get it wrong.) Another possibility is that people misunderstood what the doctors were saying.

I don't know which it is, but if I had to guess, I suspect the prognosis was a mistake.

What is clear is that a guy like Carl Lawson missed a season due to injury, but that dude showed up for every OTA we know of and he came in looking like a monster. Even though he couldn't be there last season, he did everything he possibly could. That's what you want to see in an injured guy. Becton missed all of OTAs, and presumably he didn't overly impress with his conditioning and fitness or you would have heard about it from some of the coaches and players. I predict he'll do well this season anyway, but it would be nice to see a high draft pick setting the example.

17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

There’s a slightly different scenario I think could be right. Correct me if I’m wrong but Becton’s surgeon never gave a time frame.

I believe the reporters found out what kind of surgery and googled recovery time. Simple as that. It’s not like they had a lot of other examples of players having that injury. So it’s less the Drs. getting it wrong and more the reporters. (If the Dr. did go public lmk).

Imagine being a 400 lb giant if a man and not being able to walk for a couple months. Do we really think he was sitting there bored out of his mind not eating…. I know I’d be stress eating. I wouldn’t call Becton lazy, as much as I’d call him human.

I assume we’re going to pick up a swing OT so I’m not overly concerned, but I won’t be surprised if Becton has an all-pro year.

18. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Interesting thought about the reporters just googling. That could be. If so, it's terrible that so many people have given Becton such a hard time over a misunderstanding that was the product of well-intentioned but mis-informed reporters.

KingRoach likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No Saleh said 4-6 weeks back in September at a press conference. That is where that timeline came from

REVISion likes this.
  20. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

He looks to be in good shape but like most have said already, I want to see it out on the field. I just want him to stay healthy. Sadly IMHO, I don't see Becton making it out on the other side. He's just to damn big, and is gonna be suspectable to injury with that size. Plus, I highly doubt he can stay in this kind of shape, or the shape needed to be a premium LT for the next decade. I don't trust fat guys like him. I hope I'm wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.