Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/mekhi-bectons-season-for-redemption-starts-on-jets-pup-list/

P.U.P. - For the uninformed, means Physically Unable to Perform. Yet another milestone missed by Mr. Big. I think the organization's concern and frustration is expressed by Saleh:

"“Mekhi’s been really good over the past 40 days,” Saleh said in an interview with CBS Sports HQ. “He’s been in the building every day. He’s been putting in the work. He’s got no restrictions from my understanding with regards to the knee. His weight’s getting down. He looks really good, and we’re really excited about the direction he’s heading.’’ "

So, for the past 40 days Becton's "been putting in the work". Nice of him to finally start doing that. It's hard to know which is larger - his weight or his his self importance. As a former supporter of Becton -I was thrilled when he was drafted - I'd now be thrilled if he returns and plays capably enough so they can trade him for something worthwhile.

Stevied, blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Again, the claim that Wirfs has not been injured does not mean he won't be injured, the "freak injury," such as that incurred by Becton will not be prevented by any training program.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Who told you he was going to be back in 8 weeks?

I didn’t hear from anyone on the Jets who said he’d be back in 8 weeks.

If you have a clip, I’d love to see it. If you have a quote, I’d love to read it. If you didn’t actually hear it or read it form someone in the Jets, I’d love to make you feel gullible.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Completely the opposite of what I'm saying! I don't know, you don't know and we won't know when his knee is improved enough to play until he gets on the field. I will go out on a limb here though and say he did not have an injury that was rehabbed by the eight week factor a handful of people here have memorialized. Neither one of us knows how the team decided to put him on the PUP list and what benefit he or they may gain by doing so.

5. KingRoach

An important detail you left out of your summary. The 40 day quote was regarding Jets activities specifically. We know for many posts and videos that Becton has been putting in work for more than 40 days. #sad

#225 KingRoach, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying that he hasn't put in ANY work for 40 more than days, but it seems to be a pretty pointed remark by Saleh by saying “Mekhi’s been really good over the past 40 days,”. How was he doing before the past 40 days? IOW: Saleh didn't say: "Mekhi's been really good since he was injured. He's been putting in the work". And my interpretation of Saleh's comment is that Mekhi really hadn't been working hard up until about a month or so ago. Sure it's my opinion and I could be wrong, but as a rule coaches are very careful about the comments they make, and almost always try to avoid coming right out and calling a player out in public. You're entitled to your opinion, but in the end, Becton is STILL unable to get on the field after almost a year for an injury that was predicted to sideline him for 6-8 weeks. If you're not concerned about what's prolonging his return - and keeping in mind we've heard nothing to indicate that it's a medical issue - IDK what to tell you.

Sorry I've lost you as a supporter. Please return all promotional gear you've received from my fan club, including the secret decoder ring.;)

Will-I-Am-Not and REVISion like this.
  7. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's what the acronym stands for, but in the NFL, that's not really what it means.

In the NFL, when player is coming off an injury, it's pretty typical to list the player as PUP coming into training camp regardless of whether they are able to perform. In fact, it would be dumb not to put him on PUP in training camp no matter how physically ready he is.

If a player is listed on PUP, the team can bring in another player onto the roster for training camp. However, that is only true if you designate the player on PUP at the beginning of training camp -- if you don't have him on the list for the start of training camp, you can't put him on the list later even if it turns out that he can't play (or even if he gets injured the first day). So, if a guy finished last season on IR, the only prudent move is to put him on PUP and then, on the first day of training camp, have your doctors (not his doctors) and trainers thoroughly check him out. Once they verify he's 100% ready to go, you can always take him off PUP and get him out there practicing. But if the doctors find anything at all that would make you want to rehab him another day/week/whatever, or even if you just want to hold him out as a precaution because he's valuable and you don't want to take a chance on a fluke injury during training camp, then keep him on PUP and use that slot to bring in an extra player that you can evaluate and get reps.

Carl Lawson is also listed on PUP. All reports indicate he's 100% ready to go, but it would be foolish not to take advantage of the fact that you can use that slot for someone else if you decide you want to hold off having him take reps in camp. It doesn't cost you anything, and it opens the door to us keeping Carl in the proverbial bubble wrap during training camp while we use that roster spot to evaluate some other player.

8. KingRoach

Is seems that Saleh, like most professionals, chooses his words carefully. People in certain positions only say things they know for certain and rely on 1st hand information.

For example: “a minimum of 6-8 weeks” is far different than “6-8 weeks”. Saleh said the former, you decided his words didn’t matter and interpreted the latter.

Saleh commented on what he knew 1st hand. He’s been watching Becton with his eyes for the last 40 days so he felt comfortable commenting on the last 40 days.

Believe it or not, words still matter to some people. Some people choose their words more carefully than others. It seems problems occur when people try and guess what someone really meant, instead of just taking what someone says at face value.

I edited my original post bc I do enjoy you as a poster, I was just surprised and disappointed that you decided to become one of the people I referenced above.

If there’s any doubt at all, that you’re on the wrong side of this “debate” @REVISion liked your post. Personally, if I ever received that scarlet letter id do some re-evaluations.

TL;DR : there’s no need for IOW and there’s no need to “interpret”. Words have meaning. It’s not that complicated.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  9. KingRoach

Sorry to beat a dead horse (feel free to choose your own words or meaning, maybe I really mean hope you’re having a nice summer) but I I think to the question:

“What’s the latest on Mekhi Becton”

a very very odd response would be:

“Mekhi's been really good since he was injured. He's been putting in the work“

If BS gave that response to that question, he would be rightfully criticized viscously.

But I’m guessing you interpreted the interviewer’s question differently than Bob and me. Maybe, as a society, we should all agree on definitions and words and diction and we could put it all in a book so there’s no more misinterpretations. We could call it a dictionary.

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am not the only one stating 8 weeks. Does anyone have the original comments after his injury on what the time-line for his return was? I will look to see if I can find it so everyone with the opposite opinion can look like .....fill in the blank

11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

The other thing that I haven't seen talked about is has he played actual game snaps in this system. We don't know if he can succeed in this system injury or not

Stevied likes this.
  12. KingRoach

I know you’re not the only one stating 8 weeks, I have just a low an opinion of those people too.
    I kinda assume if you knew how to use the internet you would have double checked before posting.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/13/jets-mekhi-becton-to-miss-long-stretch-with-knee-injury/amp/

This rag quotes Saleh as saying “a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks” the day after the game.

Here’s a quote 5 weeks after the injury.

"He's chomping at the bit to get back, but as far as a concrete evaluation, I wouldn't have one right now"

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/10/19/robert-saleh-update-mekhi-becton/amp/

I’m a bit nervous with the last link bc Saleh does say “he’s a few weeks away” before clarifying that he doesn’t have a timeline.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. KingRoach

I believe another poster on here once mentioned Becton played a zone blocking scheme his last year in college.

Since I know google isn’t your friend…. https://www.cardchronicle.com/platf...stic-view-at-louisville-footballs-new-schemes

Kinda funny how the things you think you know, are incorrect and the things you think are unknown, are actually known. Were you at the stop the steal rally?

#233 KingRoach, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

6-8 weeks minimum is because that is general recovery time for a dislocated kneecap without surgery from what I read, once you add surgery that will of course increase it quite a bit. They said the reason he was having a slower recovery was he could not get the full extension on his knee and that was one of the things that added to the recovery time. Even if he was overweight I don't think that has much bearing on getting full extension, I'm sure being heavier did have some effect on recovery but it looks like there were a few reasons affecting recovery time, not just his weight.

Noam and KingRoach like this.
  15. KingRoach

Preaching to the choir buddy.

https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/orthopaedic-surgery/patient-care-services/sports-medicine/patella-kneecap-dislocation

Crutches and a brace (or splint) are needed for about one month after surgery. Range of motion is restricted for 4-6 weeks to protect the repair. Physical therapy is necessary for 3-6 months to regain full motion and strength. Full recovery with return to sports at about 6 months after surgery.

Noam likes this.
  16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

They believe in Becton. They know more then the fans. I’ll trust them over anyone else. Time will tell. I like my chances. Haters hate

WilsonJetsFan, Ralebird and KingRoach like this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With the way Lawson was beating him like a red headed stepchild throughout training camp, perhaps Becton injuring his knee game #1 was a blessing in disguise. It may have saved Saleh from having to bench him part way thru the season. Plus it opened the door for Fant to develop into a fine LT, and perhaps facilitated Becton's move to RT w/o embarrassment of having been benched.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Again, you've ignored the evidence I have given to the contrary and just stuck to your original opinion no matter the facts. In spite of all you still believe that injury prone players are just as likely to get injured in the future as these that don't miss any games for years. It's rather remarkable take especially given the link I provided explaining the risks, but hey, if that what makes you feel better, so be it.

19. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I hestitate to rejoin conversations considering the immense crap being tossed around. but must give thanks to you for a sensible and probably accurate post. becton's injury could be the key to the jets future. maybe he learned a lesson about staying in shape. Maybe it unlocked fant. Maybe it improved draft position . Of course maybe it did none of these. We will all know in a few weeks and by then maybe it is safe to go back in the water.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Again, you missed the point. Accidental injuries happen regardless of past injury history. That doesn't mean your citation is wrong but it also doesn't mean it is applicable in every situation. No one, to my knowledge, has ever claimed that Becton's current injury is in any way related to any injury he has ever suffered in the past. The concept of "injury prone players" is an idea of fate and chance rather than medicine without a causative organic condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.