Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If Fant ends up at RT, I'd say there is a great chance he will roll up on the LT's knee, no matter who that is.

Acad23 likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

On Hughes' latest podcast he said that Jets coaches think that Becton's weight was partially to blame for him suffering the knee injury in the first place.

I'm not really sure how that could be the case and I don't think we've ever heard anyone say that before now.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That's suck a stupid take. Wow.

Mogriffjr and Ralebird like this.
  4. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

When he injured his knee last year. We were told he would be back in 8 weeks and we waited and waited and did some more waiting. Now, starting TC this slap dick still isn't ready. Man, for my favorite teams sake he better be ready but more importantly play every freaking game from start to finish

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Look, I truly hope this guy is all in and is all healthy. We are a better team with him playing and truly are dicked if he gets hurt again. I am done watching Edoga, he has toothpick legs and the upper body of Sponge Bob. I just personally have concerns about Becton and his fortitude

tomdeb likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's not false, you're citing a specific injury which may be important to you. We're not talking about reinjury but about any injury. I don't care what particular injury causes a guy to miss games or be less than 100% effective - the result is the same.

The topic here is Becton; the injury he's recovering from was a freak occurrence unrelated to any previous injury and could have happened to any guy on the field regardless of his past history.

#206 Ralebird, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  7. Ralebird

Ten months later the guy has not completely recovered which makes it about a 43 week injury, and counting. I really don't understand why anyone would think that a timeline a reporter "expected" should be taken as something etched in stone without even the claim of his source.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

9. REVISion

I'm like the 5th person to tell you that Saleh said the knee is 100% weeks ago yet Dr. Ralebird keeps rejecting that claim, while simultaneously claiming that none of us can speculate about the status of the knee unless we have a PhD from John's Hopkins and were practicing orthopedic surgeons for 40 years. Incredible.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. Ralebird

If the guy is 100% why is everybody so worked up? That would mean it was only about a forty week injury; what difference does it make? He'll play when he's deemed ready; then we'll all know exactly how long his injury really was.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

lololol

again Hughes is a hack, and he’s leaving the beat. Not sure why you posted this…but then again I do know why you did..

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He wasn’t in professional shape. Human beings who aren’t in NFL level professional shape are likely to get injured. He’s lucky as it coulda been a lot worse

blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just cited the article explaining how some people are much more likely to get injured than others in general because of various factors. Because of the fact Becton is injured a lot, he seems to fall into that category. Doesn't mean he will be injury prone for the rest of his career, I hope not, just risk is higher vs someone who has not been injured a lot. That was the whole point of the study in the article.

Now, I hope his being significantly overweight was a big factor in previous injuries, and when he loses the weight, which he seems to be finally doing now, it will help.

blackssmagic likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They could have meant that had he been in good shape, maybe the injury wouldn't take that long to recover, hence weight is "partially" to blame. Even Saleh kept saying how it takes longer to recover than original timeline, since he is a "large human". One thing that is an observation is that Becton wasn't overweight in College, and he seemed to be injury free. When he became overweight post College, he seems to have a lot of injuries. There appears to be a correlation between his weight and injuries/their duration in general.

azhar80 and blackssmagic like this.
  15. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Let’s cut the malarkey. Benton does not look great and will not look great until he pancakes somebody in an actual game.

16. REVISion

So now you're pretending to know the exact week the knee became 100%? Just because Saleh said the knee is 100% weeks ago doesn't mean it wasn't 100% prior to him saying that.

Regardless, that's still not the point. The point is he's not practicing despite it being 100%. I wonder why?

blackssmagic and Stevied like this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL...toothpick legs! You're right, of course. I would not keep Edoga even as a reserve. Another Mike MacCagnan wasted pick.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Becton really reminds me of Kris Jenkins, a DT the jets traded for in 2008. He could never stay on the field. He was about 360 pounds, was hurt all the time, probably because he was so overweight. And, yes, he and Becton wore/wear the same number for the jets (77).

19. REVISion

I guess it depends on the definition of overweight right? Becton was one of the 10 heaviest guys in combine history.

I view his combine weight as more of a "this is the absolute maximum this guy can be and play well" rather than "this is his optimal playing weight". It's part of the reason I think there's so much cause for concern with him. He's not just overweight right now, he's overweight after he was already pushing the upper limit.

Orlando Pace is the same height as Becton and weighed 325. Trent Williams was 315 at the combine. Ogden is taller than Becton and weighed 320 at the combine. Becton had 40-50 lbs on all of those guys before he gained any further weight.

If you're in the 300s you're not getting overpowered often unless your strength and conditioning or technique are poor. You can't just make up for those things with added lbs because you'll be hurting your agility and quickness in the process, which doesn't happen if you keep the weight lower and work on strength+technique.

Becton should be like 330-340 lbs ideally. That'd still make him heavier than pretty much all the best OTs ever were, but at least he'd be in the ballpark.

azhar80, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

When I saw "malarkey" I knew it had to be one of our senior members, no offense intended.

Let's be clear though, the same can be said of any player returning from a major injury. Until they show it on the field we just don't know.

KingRoach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.