Becton Looks Great

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I cannot make any kind of decision based on only the information we have - which is basically what you just outlined here. Maybe he's ready and maybe he's not; I see no reason to get worked up over it. A few posts above someone else speculated that placing him, and others, on the PUP list is a procedural move. Maybe the team will release a statement but the chances are that such a statement would be virtually meaningless anyway.

KY Jets Fan, JetFanInPA and KingRoach like this.
  2. Ralebird

Wings melt and halos burst into flames when an angel approaches the New York Jets. Something to do with Joe Namath, we're told.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The official Jets roster page has Becton listed at 363 lbs.

That would seem a good target weight to play at...

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He should be forced to wear a PUP t-shirt for every day he is on that list at camp

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I would totally rock a NYJ Physically Unable to Perform tee. What a chick magnet.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Lawson? His achilles injury was in pre-season, Becton was 1st game of season.
    https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-place-five-players-on-pup-list-sign-cb-craig-james
    The Jets made several roster moves Thursday including placing five players on the physically unable to perform list: Ts Mekhi Becton and George Fant, DE Carl Lawson, TE C.J. Uzomah and G Dru Samia.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

They also changed the PUP list threshold. It was 6 now it’s down to 4 games if you start on the list at the beginning of the season.

i think this is for guys who were hurt and working back from injuries. The team can fully assess and see where they are at in terms of their health. Once they off the list they are ready to go. So basically next week we will see where all 5 guys are at.

Noam, Ralebird and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yup. Not really anything to see here. All the big guys coming off injuries are in the same boat. I'll see what happens next week before passing judgement. They could all pass a physical and be good to go by the time camp really gets going.

Also saw that Saleh was quite complimentary about Becton's weight and condition in an interview recently.

9. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Nope, Sherwood is who I meant.

10. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

You have a link or something? I’m looking to believe that everything will be ok!

11. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Mogriffjr, Noam, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well we should know soon enough…once activities get going he’ll either participate or he won’t. Personally I’m concerned but he’ll have the chance to prove it on the field soon enough. I just don’t think he can stay on the field for 17 games at this point…

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This PUP stuff IMO is merely a formality for all these guys who ended last season injured/on IR. I imagine that all these guys will come off the PUP list relatively soon once TC gets going next week but we shall see.

It's ironic that Fant is also on PUP and yet no one is concerned about him coming back even though he could also be considered "injury prone".

I'm just glad that we've basically made it through the dead period for football. Starting next week, we'll have some football news or games all the way through February.

FJF, Brook!, JetFanInPA and 3 others like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That is exactly right. Players with significant injuries start in the PUP till they can evaluate them once camp starts. Is a smart precaution some here are prematurely making a big deal about. No one seems to give two shits about the rest of the names but gag all over Becton because of last year. I hope he regains his rookie form and shuts the fuck down all those early concerns.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Finally! There is some real progress for a change. PUP list is a formality, I wasn't worried about that, but this is a real news that Becton finally listened to coaches and actually came to the facility and lost some weight. Granted, Saleh didn't say he is on weight, he said the "weight is getting down", which basically means he has ways to go, but I do think this means he is no longer at the 400 territory and is improving. This is definitely a good news, though he is not there yet.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Luckily there's still what, 6 weeks, until the season starts. Man of that size can quite easily drop 4 pounds/week without needing any drastic diets. If he's now somewhere around 380, he could and really should be about 360 for Week 1.

Fingers crossed that will be the case.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I don't want to become overly concerned about Becton, since it is only July. But if I want to look at the worst case scenario, and he never ends up playing up to the potential he showed in his rookie season, maybe we should have gone tackle at fourth overall, making the Sauce pick look like a luxury we may not be able to afford?

Jets79 and blackssmagic like this.
  18. Ralebird

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

So you already are preparing to complain 2 years from now? I respect your dedication.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is just false, it does not make sense logically, and does not pass the eye test either. When we were looking at the draft prospects, like Jamison Williams, I cited a study where someone who had ACL before is at least 6 times more likely to have it again. There are also risk factors indicating where someone could be 12 times the risk of injury vs another player. While we don't know all that drives the risk, one thing is apparent: someone who has been injured multiple times is at a higher risk for reinjury.

blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.