Battle in Seattle Game Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Cakes, Jan 6, 2007.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I absolutely agree with your point, although the Pisarcik example isn't really relevant, since it had nothing to do with Parcells.

People seem to have forgotten that Romo did not collapse in any way in what matters - being a quarterback. In the fourth quarter he led the team on a 46 yard drive for a FG, and (in the last 4 1/2 minutes of the game) a 54 yard drive for what should have been the go-ahead field goal. I'm quite sure he won't be the holder next year, but nothing he did on the field in any way suggests that he won't be the quarterback.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Joking, but I'll answer anyway. No, he did not. He only fumbled two times the whole year.

Romo has some issues now. However, I don't think they are severe enough that Dallas is going to kick him to the curb.
    Sure, they may bring in a veteran QB to compete with him in training camp.

Surely, they cannot bring back Bledsoe. They gotta cut him loose.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I referenced it only because it was a case of a QB being involved in a boneheaded/embarrassing/truly awful moment and he still kept his job.

Often times a kicker will not be brought back after a putrid game (Mike Michel, Doug Brien, Mike Vanderjagt), but that isn't always the case with a QB (Pisarcik, Stewart after '97 AFC title game, Doug Williams in TB etc.)

Williams had some awful games with the Buccaneers where he looked lost and yet he kept his job through the 1982 season. After a couple years in the USFL, he resurfaced in Washington and won a Super Bowl.

1979 vs Eagles: 7 of 15 for 132 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
    1979 vs Rams: 2 of 13 for 12 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
    1981 vs Cowboys: 10 of 29 for 187 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs
    1982 vs Cowboys: 8 of 28 for 113 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs

4. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

They surely won't kick him to the curb. But don't be surprised if they draft a quarterback. Bledsoe will of course be cut, as you say.

Thing about all this is that, long before he was the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, he was the holder. Game after game, he held the ball, and then when it finally matters, in the biggest moment of his career - kerplunk.

Again, I'd say it's survivable if Romo hadn't fallen to complete pieces afterwards.

Unfortunately for him, he's got talent, but he doesn't have enough talent to overcome butterfingers, bad nerves, and terrifyingly bad receivers. Watching the last four games of the Cowboys' season, he might not even have all that much talent.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, I can definitely see them drafting a QB. Maybe even as early as the 3rd round.

I'll bet Romo never holds for a kick again!

I was thinking that the comparison to Junkin, Yepremian, Pisarcik, Jim Marshall (ran wrong way with fumble recovery to score a safety for opponent), and Smith are not the best ones to make.

Junkin and Smith were playing their final games. (Smith is in the Hall of Fame, but is most remembered for dropping what should have been an easy touchdown in the end zone in Super Bowl 13; his team lost 35-31.) Sadly, both of those players had come out of retirement. Junkin just for the Giants-49ers playoff game. Smith had been talked out of retirement by Tom Landry prior to the 1978 season.

Yepremian made an embarrassing play in Super Bowl 7, but his team still won.

Pisarcik was bad and was going to be replaced no matter what. (The Giants drafted Simms in the 1st round a few months after the Pisarcik play.)

I think the best comparison is Chris Webber. Webber called a timeout when his team didn't have one in the national championship game. He went on to have a very good career in the NBA.
    Like Webber, I think Romo has too much talent to have a terrible moment ruin his career.

6. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Nothing warms the cockles of my heart quite like Tony Romo getting abused on the blog for Eastern Illinois University, the poor sucker's own school.

http://www.eiuhalloffame.com/blog/