Bart Scott Signs-Merged 48 million times

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

I'll give you my opinion with no bull included.

Bart was an above average/very good linebacker in Baltimore. He meshed well with Suggs/Lewis because although Scott himself is not a pass rusher, he learned to adapt and cover the pass well.

If you're looking for Scott to get double digit sacks, then you'll be sorely disappointed unless Rex creates a system where two linemen are used to iso Bart.

Although I would've preferred to have kept him, we have three guys who can most definitely take his place, and Ozzie knew that, which is why you even got a chance in the first place.

I'm not sure you're getting a leader in Scott, but he isn't exactly a quiet guy.

Overall, I think it's a good signing as he'll be an above average linebacker if all things go well. You probably over payed, but with Favre gone, I guess you have some extra cash.

2. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Great signing. I think you always overpay when you sign a guy a few hours into FA, but if his own team was giving him 7.5 and we only bumped that to 8, then you figure we got a real player.

I do hope he becomes the leader that this D has been sorely lacking for a long time. Lets just hope he learned enough from Lewis Reed and Suggs that now that he is out of their shadow he can become the franchise LB that he is getting paid as.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

well, the Jets needed a cover LB, and as you said that's what he is.... ILBs aren't known for 10+ sacks, and Harris is more of he blitzing ILB on our team, so we are set there.

Ozzie is one of the best GMs - who are the guys to replace him? I'm not familiar with the Ravens depth chart.

8 mil a year isn't much with due to the rise in cap ever year... its like getting 6.5 last year... no biggie.

thanks for the info.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

It doesn't matter if we overpay, and Woody has plenty of extra cash, so don't concern yourself about that.

All the signings this year are PSL bait, just like they were last year, Favre included. In fact, I expect a lot more money to be thrown around.

We've got PSLs to sell, afterall.

5. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

that's one key to the puzzle found

6. kaloshiJETS

kaloshiJETS New Member

awesommmmme signing....

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Hey if it gets us the talent we need to win a championship, I could careless what Woody's motivation is.

8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Yeah a whole 500K/year more than the Ravens.:)

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Me too!!!!!

10. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

It's not about money per year.

11. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

Scott, unlike Suggs and Lewis, was a walk-on who studied hard and thrived under his two talented coworkers.

At least one of Jameel McClain, Antwan Barnes, and Tavares Gooden can quite easily replace Bart in my opinion.

I'm not saying that Bart isn't a good signing, but he is definitely replaceable.

12. jetsforlife

jetsforlife New Member

New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens bidding for Bart Scott
    by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
    Friday February 27, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Ronald Martinez/GettyThe Jets and Ravens are bidding for linebacker Bart Scott on the first day of free agency.

Just heard from my guy in Baltimore and he tells me that Scott and his agent, Harold Lewis, have called Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome with the Jets' offer -- reportedly five-years, $37 million -- and Newsome told them that the Ravens can top that.

So hold off on buying those No. 57 Jets jerseys with the name "Scott'' on the back. It's not a done deal until it's a done deal, to quote Yogi.

I've been told that Scott is looking for an average of $8 million a year and the Jets offer obviously falls short of that. The Jets have reportedly upped the ante to five years, $40 million.

Enter the Jets' war chest. The Jets are $29 million under the league's $127 million salary cap and I have that from an impeccable source. The Ravens, I'm told, are only $19 million under the cap. Hmmm ...

My feeling is that the Jets won't let Scott leave the building and are willing to overpay for him in a big way. The Jets apparently believe that Scott is the better fit than the aging Ray Lewis, who would be the consolation prize in this showdown.

Ravens cornerback Corey Ivy is expected to visit the Jets.

13. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Could be bad news
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/jets_and_ravens_bidding_for_sc.html

14. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

You beat me by like 3 seconds

He just posted this after that Bidding War Article

#194 Steve032, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Just got an e-mail from Jets insider saying JETS SIGN SCOTT

16. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

Edit - forget it.

17. kaloshiJETS

kaloshiJETS New Member

scott is hugeee addition wow

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not that I guess this matters one way or the other but this guy is not close to an $8 million dollar a year linebacker. He had one really really good season and a couple of other good ones. Eric Barton is a similar quality linebacker, he's just had worse teammates around him.

Don't be surprised when Scott turns out to be just another linebacker in this system.

#198 Br4d, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  19. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member