Bart Scott gives Ravens a chance to match

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Steve032, Feb 27, 2009.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that if Lewis is out of the picture then the Ravens will try and up their offer to keep Scott.

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I say we just outbid the Ravens for him, within reason. Not everyone, but most everyone thinks this guy is worth it, we don't have a better option, and he'd be a good fit here. So the guy is playing his options, whoopdy shit. I don't blame him, he's just trying to get the most money he can, not a new concept in free agency. Understandable he has loyalty to his possible former team, his only loyalty in regards to the Jets is to Rex Ryan. HE didn't agree to sign with the Jets yet, his agent agreed, awaiting his approval. I can't imagine that if the Ravens match our bid that we don't increase it to get him here. I think we have the power to outbid the Ravens if we want to (within reason). We need him more than he needs us. I'm sure if we backed out altogether, someone else would meet or exceed our offer. Pay the guy.

3. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Easily one of the BEST judges ever on the Gong Show. Second only to the great Nipsy Russell...

4. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

F Scott, let him go back.

You are either with us or against us.

5. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Breaking News: Scott heading to Jets
    February 27, 2:37 PM
    by Steve DeClue, Baltimore Sports Examiner

Bart Scott and the Baltimore Ravens couldn't close a relatively small gap in contract negotiations, so the linebacker signed up to play for a familiar coach with the New York Jets.

Scott has agreed to a five-year contract worth $40 million, officially ending his career in Baltimore.

The Ravens were considered Scott's first choice, but the Jets made it clear they weren't letting him leave their training complex without signing a deal.

It didn't take much convincing given the fact that Rex Ryan, who Scott loved as his defensive coordinator in Baltimore, is now the Jets new head coach.

The chance to work again with Ryan as well as emerge from Ray Lewis' shadow and become the leader of the New York defense was more than enough to reel in Scott.

Several teams had made it clear to Scott's agent that they would make his client the highest paid linebacker in the NFL, and the Ravens simply weren't willing to pay him that much money.

The loss of Scott puts the Ravens in a tough position as far as the linebacking corps is concerned and gives Lewis additional leverage in contract talks.

However, that doesn't mean Lewis can take the Ravens for a ride. There has been very little interest in Lewis out on the free agent market, which turns the tables on the linebacker and gives the Ravens leverage as well.

It also doesn't help Lewis that the Jets were the team most interested in signing him but have been essentially taken out of the equation after signing Scott. The only other team I see becoming seriously involved with Lewis could be the Denver Broncos.

A report on Adam Schefter's blog from earlier intimated that Lewis is so irritated with the Ravens over the long, drawn-out negotiations and the discipline changes under John Harbaugh that would retire before re-signing with the team.

I respect Schefter's opinion and the sources he used to back it up, but I simply don't think it's true. This is just more posturing on the part of Lewis, and you really have to wonder how close these "sources" are to the linebacker.

I still believe that Lewis will have no choice but to re-sign with the Ravens in the end simply because they will offer the most money.

6. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Pull the offer. This is a complete lack of respect for the Jets...

7. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

haha all that for nothing..

8. Scottso

Scottso Member

Who knows whats really going on, but I was just looking at a Ravens forum and they're all talking about a rumor that Bart Scott is headed back to Baltimore right now.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I just B'd my L...

Nice find bojangles.

10. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

Might want to read the post right above you.

WOOOOO!

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Lets hope the latest story is true.

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

A player is always loyal to their first team, unless there are disputes. Scott wanted to stay in Balt., but they didn't offer him enough. He still wants to stay there. I don't blame him. But if we sign him up, he will be as loyal to the Jets as he is to the Ravens right now.

Im hoping the Ravens let him free.

13. agrich

agrich New Member

Er, do people actually believe the Ravens giving big money to a cornerback means they're no longer hoping to bring back either Scott or Lewis? Wow.

14. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

it all works out in the end ...now on to the next !!

15. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

It is a BUSINESS 1st

16. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Is he or is he not a Jet?

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He IS a New York Jet. ...next.

18. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Thank god...now onto the Guard position....

By the way, who is that player in your Avatar MrE?

19. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

When i hear it on Espn ill believe it.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, really.