Barlow out of the running as rotation cut to 2 backs. - Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Nov 30, 2006.

1. lightning

lightning Active Member

He'll be available. Because anyone looking for an offensive playmaker before the jets will jump on dwayne jarrett who also should be available in the early to mid teens.

2. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I hope so- I think the only team that we need to worry about grabbing Lynch is the Packers. However, with Green's mild resurgence this year and the plethora of other problems they have, they may not go RB. Morency and Green are averaging > 4.0 YPC.

I agree though- I think the sexiness of a Ted Ginn or Dwayne Jarrett may draw the attention of a team like the Packers.

Funny thing- so many teams are set at RB nowadays. I just glanced through the NFL teams: the only ones that would conceivably spend a 1st round pick on RB.

Raiders- not going to with the money they have for Jordan and they'll take CJ
    Texans- they'll take AD
    Browns- ehhh maybe, but Droughns is solid and they need to shore up their personnel in the trenches
    Packers- they're a legit possibility
    Jaguars- who knows, I think Jones-Drew is a 3rd down back and Taylor is getting old
    Broncos- they wanted Maroney last year, perhaps they'd go for a RB
    Ravens- maybe, Lewis is aight now but not nearly as good as he used to be

We'll be in good shape IMHO and hopefully to get Marshawn

#102 Gubernaculum, Dec 2, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  3. lightning

lightning Active Member

Definately.

BTW, I don't even think Ted Ginn deserves to go in the top 15 as of now. Lets see what he does in the NC. But if it were up to me and Jarrett were available for us, I would find it hard not to take him.

4. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

if Jarrett falls to us we have to take him..Running backs are a dime a dozen

5. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Take a gander at this- this guy is flat-out talented. I loved Maroney coming out of Minnesota (its like the Leonard man-love this year) but I think Lynch might actually be better. He's got great speed, he's strong, and is a better receiver than Maroney ever showed at Minnesota.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/marshawn/

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Terrific rundown of our possibilities vs. other teams, Spectre. Please keep a handle on this and post your thoughts as we approach the spring. I and many others will be interested in your apprisal of the situation.

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Had a discussion with a guy who knew a lot about Lynch today at another site. There were some others who also thought Lynch was better than Maroney. I asked a very pointed question, but it was taken in the proper vane and I didn't get flamed for it.

Lynch looks like a gangsta type. The gold teeth, the dreads hanging over his eyes. I wondered if Lynch would fit the "smart character" profile this FO has proven to be looking for in draft picks.

Turns out, he's a apparently a pretty good kid, although he is from the hood in one of Oakland's worst nieghborhoods. He returned to his HS last year to attend thier graduation ceremony, and was shot at by a gang banger who mistook him for someone else. Just missed him, too.

He is a self proclaimed momma's boy, and speaks with her at least 3 times a week. He's more than just camera shy, and this is my bigger concern... he sounds like he's almost "Ricky Williams" camera shy. His college HC kept asking him to grant interviews for some Hiesman hyping, but he refused.

He was quite poplular with his team mates, and his coaches say that he's a great kid, but they will of course say that. He played through 2 pretty bad ankle injuries this year, so he's tough, but might also be a bit brittle.

If he has a good interview with the Jets FO and scouts, I can see the Jets taking him. I hope someone tells the kid to interview in a suit.... a buisness suit.

8. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Good info bro- long time no see (people miss your Graham reviews ;) )

It's sad that some people cast judgement on him because of his appearance. From all accounts, he's a damn good kid who fought adversity throughout life. Also, its woth noting that Berkeley is no pushover when it comes to academics. I don't care that athletes may get an easier time, its still a tremendous academic institution.

Perhaps his shyness is a sign of humility? As far as durability, yeah he's had some recurring injuries but he's still IMHO a safer option injury-wise than AD. Don't get me wrong, I think AD is going to be a tremendous back but he seems to have a knack for getting freak injuries.

As an aside, I was a pseudo-Minnesota football fan in college (my roommate was from Minneapolis). I watched Barber and Maroney extensively and I knew those two would be excellent RBs in the league. I was just concerned with Barber's pass catching but he's proven me (and a lot of others) wrong. I have the same concern about Maroney. They're both good guys too. I really wanted the Jets to draft Barber, who lasted until Day 2 for some odd reason. Hell, we could have used that Sione Pouha pick on him!

#108 Gubernaculum, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006