Barlow out of the running as rotation cut to 2 backs. - Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Nov 30, 2006.

1. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

whenver houston was in it just looked like he would get 4 or 5 yards...i think give them 2 (leon and ced) the carries for the next few games and then evaluate from there...i think we'll improve...

2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Barlow is not terrible, he definitely doesn't deserve the Blaylock treatment. But it would be nice to see Houston and Washington split carries for a couple games and see how they do. I don't think Barlow should be completely out of the picture though.

3. Don G

Don G New Member

excellent move by the Jets. Barlow is not the back of the future. At least with extended playing time we can see if Cedric and Leon are. I think Washington is to small to be an every down back but I could see Houston as an every down guy. At least if he underperforms they're certain about going into the draft and picking up a running back. Good move by the Jets all around.

4. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

You think? I'm mad we wasted a pick on him for nothing. That alone makes me want to keep him.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm with you on the pick. I never wanted to spend the pick in the first place because we had Houston (he wasn't injured at the time).

I'm not sure we should ever want to keep a guy based on what we invested in him though. I think it kind of has to be looked at like the stock market. You first loss is your best loss. You pick a loser and it's going down, unload it, get out of it, take your loss and move on.

Maybe with Barlow, we could possibly get something, but I doubt it.

6. baamf

baamf Active Member

Another good thread that will waste away in the newswire forum. Shame....

7. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

It was a misunderstanding. Carry on :)

8. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Posters post in here more than the Newswire forum so wouldn't it waste away here to the second page faster?

9. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, but at least it has a "life" here, even if briefly and even if it gets relegated to the 2nd page in short oder. At least somebody notices it here and responds. On the other page, if it sits there for decades and no one reads it, what's that all about?

If it's here it's alive.

"It's alive... IT'S ALIVE!"

10. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

All people have to do is click the other Sub forum and it's there. With the new forums people are going to have to get used to the change.

11. Section 227. Row 5

I understand what you're saying from a mod perspective but I do see Baamf's point from poster's perspective. It's 5PM EST right now and the last post over on the Newswire was at 3:14. The one before that was at 12:55... not exactly a heavily visited area.

All I think he's saying is give a post a good amount of consideration before sending it over there, because doing so just about eliminates it from circulation.

12. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

The O-line couldnt open a hole to save our life last week. No one could run the ball.
    Cedric has shown us alot of potential this year and last year. Barlow this season minus one game, has not looked good.

13. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

A small stone may first make a ripple but it can become a wave.

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Barlow is a not long term solution. Also I don't remember it ever officially being said that the Jets were giving the 49ers a 4th round pick. What if that pick is conditional to Barlow not sucking? Barlow is way to slow to be an every down back and as shown on that play he is not a great blocker. One thing that Mangini will not put up with this is his backs not pass blocking.

Of course if we had a better offensive line we would get a better idea of the talent level of the running backs.

Brick and Mangold have been solid for rookies but aren't knocking people on their backsides on the run blocks. Kendall and Moore are both undersized and don't get any sort of psuh against the average nfl defensive tackle. Anthony Clement is horrible...

15. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I guess might as well play the young guys.

I don't think Barlow has been any worse than the other 2. They have all had their moments, but I don't think any of them have been really consistent.

16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Barlow is easily our most consistent back, by far.

He consistently runs for no gain or losses yards, consistently never hits the whole hard, consistently runs very slow, consistently rushes for less than 3ypc every game, consistently never able to make any cuts, and consistently shows no power for a power back.

17. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Barlow was great on the goal line and on short-yardage situations, rarely got stopped. Hopefully Houston can also do good in that role now, I have confidence he can.

18. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Well, he did get us 36 points. :)

Maybe the pick's round was conditional on Barlow's performance so by benching him now they don't have to give up a higher pick?

19. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Find in my post where I said Barlow was our most consistent back. I said he wasn't any worse than the other 2.

They have all had some good moments, they've all had some bad. There is no way we would have beaten New England without Barlow. And he has been far and away our best goaline back.

Houston has had 2 good games, and 1 absolutely horrible game. The 4th game he played in he only got 2 carries. His ypc is only slightly better than Barlow's, and he's had a lot less carries which inflates it.

Washington had a nice 3 game stretch, but after that he hasn't been anything special, and he is limited in what he can do. He's good in draw plays and when you get him out in space, but that's about it.

Again, it's a good move because Houston is younger than Barlow, and they are both very similar, so I don't see a reason to give them both carries. But let's not act like the other 2 are world beaters and Barlow was holding them back

20. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I know. I was (sarcastically) arguing with you, saying that barlow is consistent in response to you saying all of our backs aren't.