Bad O Line play - Poor Talent and poor scheme

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyFtLaud, Sep 21, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Where is that rule in the rulebook? If you know the guy sucks - and he's sucked now with two teams - why would you allow him to continue fucking up your team? The ONLY reason is if you don't have anyone who could replace him immediately. But since anyone who can fog a mirror would be better, I don't see that as an impediment.

In all seriousness, the only reason I wouldn't fire him now is if:

1. Williams either says he won't be acting HC, or he demands a guarantee to be hired as HC. OR
    2. McCarthy says no way he's coming here. OR
    3. McCarthy would consider coming here, but Douglas believes there is someone better he can get at the end of the season.

IOW, if they can get a competent HC in here now, they should fire Gase immediately.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's not in the rules because there is no rule how to manage your team. it's mismanagement. You don't draft a QB then put him in 3 different offensive systems in 3 years. If he was a defensive playcaller i'd be a little more willing. with that said you can't accurately judge a coach on 4 games. especially 4 games with an awful o-line and the top 2 QBs being injured. Lets wait and see what happens when sam comes back and JD has an offseason to fix the o-line. I don't want sam dealing with the recurring turnstyle of OCs and systems. The only way i'd fire gase this season is if andy ried or bill bellichick came avilable

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Why not... Wash just can their loser coach... we should too: here is why, The Jets had an extra week to prepare to play against one of the worst defenses in the league and they were non-competitive. Quote from the HC: "We should [be more competitive]l" Jets coach Adam Gase said of the offense. "We haven't been. We haven't been doing anything right, right now. We're playing bad." Really, Mr. G, how nice for you to recognize that you and the coaching staff you selected seems clueless.

The Jets have produced 233 yards of offense in the past two games, which is 32 yards fewer than what the Eagles produced Sunday. Not enough how about these stats:

Last 36 games this HC is 13-23, Last 7 gams he is 0-7 and average losses were by 17 pts, O production is 2.5 yrs per play in consecutive games

4. GasedAndConfused

wash canned their loser coach after more then 5 years. not 4 weeks. Also their 1st round rookie QB is still learning a system. he wouldn't be going on system 3 in 3 years.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

just had a look - we are on average allowing 5.8 sacks per game which is by some margin the worst in the NFL

(in 2018 we were allowing 2.3 sacks per game which was about middle of the pack)

just for fun here are some other stats to cheer you:

- we are the 32nd ranked team for scoring in the first quarter
    - we are the 32nd ranked team for scoring in the second quarter - the next worst team (Arizona) is scoring 4 times as many point on average as the Jets, who are at 0.8 points
    - lowest yards per game by quite a comfortable margin
    - lowest number of first downs per game
    - highest punting rate of any team
    - most punts per offensive score - the average across the NFL is around 1 punt per offensive score - the second worst (Miami) is at 3.3 - we are at 5.3
    - second worst yards per rushing attempt
    - lowest number of field goals made per game - average is between 1.5 - 2 - we are at 0.2

it goes on and on - the stats for the defensive mostly are not that bad

K'OB and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If I was going to make list of incorrect conventional wisdom, this would be in it. There are tons of QBs who excel right away in new systems. And then I hear the next year how things will be even better because more experience in the system. Doesn't happen though. Because it doesn't matter how new the system is, it matters how good it is.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Yes, IMHO it was three years to late... based on your ignoring the facts stated above you must think that the above stats are meaningless or that all of a sudden AG will have an epitome... Well guess what, he stated today that he wouldn't change a thing (decisions, etc.). Really, I guess 13-23 is a reason to stick with the program right? I mean the he has continued the LOSING Culture that has permeated this team for the last 6-7 years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Which would still make it after 2 years, not 4 games, right?

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

No offense SOJAZ, but why is it that many times people who want to fire Gase after 4 games mention the Jets past ineptitude? For me he isn't responsible for the past mess so I fail to see why it has to be brought up so often in relation to Gaze.

You take a small 5 sec snippet from a 10 minute conference call but Gaze also said "we all took our turns being part of that sack number." Coaches (just like many people who talk a lot in public) contradict themselves all the time.

Nobody has been praising Gaze, most just want to see him coach the team with his QB - that's all. If people are afraid of what he will do to Darnold why not look at the limited play with Darnold?

The admittedly limited sample set is actually not as bad as one would think. Darnold looked good in preseason (I know preaseason) and he performed better than most against the Bills. Why not let Gaze coach with Darnold and Herndon?

No coach in the annuls of the NFL has ever been fired after only 4 games. I don't want the Jets to start making history now. If the Jets continue to suck for the rest of the season - sure get Gaze out of here if he can't do anything with the offense and a modicum of health.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No one before Copernicus thought the earth wasn't the center of the universe.

11. GasedAndConfused

I agree it needs to be a good system but no way can you judge gase's system 4 games in with a 3rd string QB and no o-line.

12. GasedAndConfused

3 years too late? sure. but that's still 2+ years in. At least give gase a full season or 2. lets see what JD can do with the o-line in the off season and what darnold can do when he comes back

13. Ive been with ya for most of this of waiting for competent bodies to return to judge, but if the product is not drastically different theres no way in HELL Gase should get a second year.

Im convinced when this shitshow actually turns, it will be immediately apparent..not this perpetual waiting game of lights finally going off & the team actually being competitive (Including road games!). We’re all getting old & after at least 2 yrs wasted w Dumb & Dumber..im no longer crossing years off the calendar before they even arrive.

14. GasedAndConfused

what if it takes a while but the last 6 games we look good and go say 5-1 after starting off 1-9 to finish 6-10 wouldn't you say he deserves year 2? and if so then isn't it way too early to judge? Plus i thik we can all agree firing a coach during the season in their 1st year is ridiculous

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

if Sam lights the league up and looks way better than last year who gives a shit what the record is. The only thing that matters is how 14 looks.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Cool, the Jets could be seen as trendsetters. Well, they were the first team to have a guy in pantyhose (at least on TV). :)

17. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Certain stats can be deceiving. I look at 3 and outs alot. Sam was obviously sick in the first game. I really think we are going to be quite competitive and may even outright win the game this week against the Cowboys....

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

They are an embarrassment to the NFL.
    Absolutely horrendous play.
    Can't block, Line up...penalties absolute embarrassment in EVERY SINGLE FACET OF FOOTBALL!!!