Bad O Line play - Poor Talent and poor scheme

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyFtLaud, Sep 21, 2019.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He definitely has to assume some of the blame as far as the O line play . The line has 5 vets, 36 plus years experience,7 pro bowls 4 all pro years between them yet they can't recognize a defensive front, can't communicate any adjustments? There is too much talent on the line to be playing this poorly. It's a combination of poor coaching, poor play design and poor execution.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5, Acad23 and 7 others like this.
  2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We need a center BAAAAD. Re-watching the games specifically in the trenches and this line is struggling on passing off and anything regarding coordination.
    Now that said, They have played 3 games together as a unit but the one thing that was sold to us was veteran leadership ...there has been ZERO on the line. It's been cheese turnstile play

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If Douglas doesn’t quit, hopefully he gets to build a decent OL for the next GM.

Expecting several more years of 4-12 football.

4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Completely agreed. And two of those three things fall on one person: The supposed "offensive genius".

Royal Tee and TonyFtLaud like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah it has for sure. Just not sure when it'll be fixed. hell even the jags offense is putting up some points with a 6th round rookie at QB and a subpar WR group.

Royal Tee and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

CBG likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

off the top of my head without even looking , we would have to say that The Bengals and Texans are horrific but who are the others ? Now I have to click on it to find out

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

So help me out , as IF our line is not bad / pathetic enough can any of you guys tell me if this guy was any good as I know very little about him and the Broncos claimed him off of our practice squad , IF this guy was not any good or never going to make it then why on earth is he wasting a spot on our practice squad ? =
    Broncos signed OT Calvin Anderson off the Jets' practice squad.
    An UDFA out of Texas, Anderson was invited to the Combine but tested as a borderline NFLer. His stay on the Broncos' 53-man roster figures to be short.

9. TonyFtLaud

He's a developmental player. That's what the practice squad is for. Guys you keep around hoping they develop and can make the roster . We have 11 more just like him .

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Tony I get what the practice squad is for but I like to think that it is for more than just pot luck or hoping. I would like to think that some of those 11 others have a real reason for being there and not just wishful thinking or projects.

11. TonyFtLaud

If they were, they would all be signed by other teams. The reality is, they are young players who show some potential, and you hope over the course of the season they show enough to warrant a future reserve contract. A handful of them across the league will get signed, play a few games and be released. They are a step below fringe players. Some lack experience, size, etc. You hope they learn, grow, but at the end of the day, all you have is 11 guys who showed a little more potential than the other 1000 plus who are out of the league post cutdown day.

12. Swe-Jet

Swe-Jet Member

The OL is by far the Jets biggest area of concern right now. IMO we don't have one single player that is good enough to be a starter on a championship caliber team, except for maybe Osemele.
    Kalil looks like he is done in the NFL, Beachum has never been an elite LT and never will be. Winters has always been avergae at best.
    I really like Osemele but when the Jets traded for him there was a concern about how his play deteriorated when Raiders swicthed from a power blocking scheme to a zone blocking scheme.
    It's seems like he brought the same struggles over here.

The way I look at it is that we basically needs to bring in five new starters.
    Maybe not right at once, but def over time.
    Is this something that has ever been done before?
    It seems like good offensive lines gel together over time. They keep their core players and throw one new starter one at time, in order for him to mold in with the others.

All the years that Maccagnan neclected the OL may have caught up with us big time....

#92 Swe-Jet, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ryan Khalil puts it in him and the rest of the line

14. TonyFtLaud

We already have 2 really BAAAAD centers...LOL

jetstopgun and Royal Tee like this.
  15. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, the way Beechum got flung around during that Browns game and the way D have just been walking up to the Quarterback tells me lack of talent/ability is the biggest factor. The communication or lack there of just compounds the talent/ability problem.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

They're getting out-smarted and manhandled on every snap.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This is pretty damning on the OL coach. And everyone above him. Kalil makes it sound like the whole line is freelancing, including him.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I was very very concerned about our OL coming into the season but so far things have been orders of magnitude worse than even a (relatively) negative Nancy like me envisioned.

To me the two pieces of hope to try to grab onto and cling to in the wreckage here are

1) Taking just last postseason the only real ways I saw to have done any better than we did (Osemele, Kalil, and I guess Edoga) would have been to either pay beyond a Kings ransom like the Raiders did, or to over-draft a guy with the Jets 3rd pick. I actually wanted to overdraft a guy at #3 because I thought it was really that important to get this fiasco stabilized ASAP even if we had to resort to drastic measures but I can't kill the Jets for not doing it. So in other words its not like we fumbled around and blew golden opportunities.

2) I think when things cycle out and we've got 20/20 hindsight we may well see that the Jets, in addition to all their other misfortune at the start of this season have by happenstance blundered into 3 of the nastier defenses possible to start the season. So while that's not "that" reassuring at least its something. There is at least hope for a little regression to the mean as the season goes on..... maybe.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I really wanted to trade down if we weren't taking an Edge prospect at 3. Then either go OL or skill position with our new 1st rounder. And then OL with the additional pick we would've acquired.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's mindboggling - and almost criminal - that Macc took a BPA-DL AGAIN! I'm beginning to wonder if he suffered brain damage somewhere along the line, to be that stupid.