Backup QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 20, 2024.

?

Backup QB options

1. Jimmy Garoppolo

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Jameis Winston

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Joe Flacco

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Trevor Siemian

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Ryan Tannehill

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. Jacoby Brissett

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  7. Tyrod Taylor

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Marcus Mariota

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. QB not listed

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk about all that. C.J. Stroud looked awesome as a rookie. Houston had NEVER developed a good young QB before him as well

Pepsiguy5 and stinkyB like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

And has a "defensive guy" as head coach.... that supposedly spells disaster around here...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Except that time Deshaun Watson made the pro bowl 3 years in a row before being traded for 3 firsts and a third.

Borat, mezzavo and Ralebird like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

of course but with that dumpster fire of an organization Deshaun Watson was like 6 regimes ago haha. ancient history like Chad Pennington here

5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'm wacko for flacco

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You...some...may or may not know this but Bo Jackson did the VERY thing I just described. He was told he was going to be drafted by the Buccaneers (back during those B-E-A-utiful Sherbet colored uniform days) and he was having NONE of it! Turned down the NFL, went to play for the Royals for a year then was drafted by Los Angels the following year. Don't be too certain that players won't do this. These kids are making some coin with the NIL and, trust me, NONE of them, from the offensive side of the ball, want anything to do with this shit hole of an organization if they can help it. Outside of running out of eligibility, these kids have options these days. Oh and NO ONE would look down on them for doing it. To me it would be a SMART career move.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Thanks for proving my point - what Jackson did was not at all what you described. Bo Jackson was drafted by the KC Royals in 1986. He was then drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. As part of the recruitment efforts of the Buccaneers, Jackson's ability to remain as an amateur for baseball was compromised and he told them he would not play for them because of that. If you honestly believe such an oddball twist of drafting history for a true two sport individual almost forty years ago is representative enough to declare it "VERY possible" a single sport player would decline to sign a contract today with his drafting team in the NFL, I'll just say you have jumped the shark so drastically it would be futile to continue the conversation.

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

It was just an example...that is not TODAY. TODAY these kids have OPTIONS. At the end of the day, no matter what ANY of them say, it's all about the $$ and glory...clicks...likes...their BRAND.

WINNING = MORE MONEY! WINNING=Great BRAND recognition. More clicks...more likes... The NY Jets haven't won anything in so long... 13 years is a LIFETIME to these kids. They can't comprehend 13 years. The NY Jets are a BAD BRAND move. The REAL money, at least on the offensive side of the ball, simply isn't there. The ability to further their BRAND doesn't exist with the NY Jets. Garrett Wilson is a PERFECT example. Do you not think, knowing what he knows now, he wouldn't consider not signing, going back to school on a lucrative NIL contract? Or, going to Canada? Great, drafted in the 1st round. Got that 1st round $$$. 1st round $$ isn't SHIT compared to the $$ a guy like that makes, on a different team, in his second contract? So the Jets franchise him...that's a PITTANCE compared to that second contract. One hit ends his career. Why take the chance on a shit hole team? Completely different discussion when talking about the defense. The Jets are a preeminent defensive team. Always have been. A GREAT thing to be in the 80's and 90's. Not today. Defense doesn't win shit. OFFENSE gets you to the dance and OFFENSE wins games. Our defense got us to 7 wins last year. However, by year's end you could visibly SEE the toll the lack of offense took on the defense. That is only going to carry over this year. The animosity is growing and EVERYONE in football sees it.

Nope, I double down. If I'm a top offensive talent, the LAST place I want to go is to the Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You have done absolutely nothing to support your claim that it is "VERY possible" that a draftee will decline to sign a contract. it has never been that way and is not today. Your claim was about today's NFL and you tried to use a unique situation from 38 years ago to prove it. Nothing you say here is relevant to your claim regardless of how many words you emphasize in all caps. Come down to earth man! The draft means everything to these guys.

#109 Ralebird, Feb 11, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

yeah sometimes this stuff really isn't that complicated. You just have to find the right guy.

THAT part might be hard and complicated though. It certainly has been a struggle for the last 15 years.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

The counter argument to that is that Sam Darnold looked really good in his first year as well. The Jets didn't surround him with talent, had no idea how to further conduct development, and the mistakes he made in college became the mistakes that were exacerbated in the pros. Obviously he wasn't anywhere near as good as CJ Stroud, so it may be moot, but the Jets have had a couple of guys that have fooled us initially as well.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Ancient history? They traded him less than 2 years ago. Say what you will about the Texans, maybe it is luck, but they hit on two All Pro level young QBs in two tries (in 1st and 2nd round) in last 7 drafts. That is just absolutely remarkable. You can just simply sweep it under the rug as "ancient history".

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Trubisky is available. He's kinda crappy but I think worth bringing into camp to compete for the backup job

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

15. The_Darksider

I don't know, Trubisky is pretty bad and he doesn't give me the feels as a guy who would have made us a playoff contender if he was here this year.

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes because they are desperate and ARod is running the team they probably won’t take a QB at 10 unfortunately for the jets. Even though it would be the best thing for the team.

If Alt, Nabers and Harrison are off the board and Bo Nix is there I believe he would be a good fit and in my opinion was the best college Quarterback last season by a large margin.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If for once we could just draft a QB and let him develop behind a star vet. It’s how most of the good ones pan out. Like Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady etc. we have this opportunity we should take advantage of it.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Connor Hughes speculated Sam Howell for a Day 3 pick if he was made available. I thought that was interesting idea. Wasn't great last year, but not terrible either and still young. I think I would take Howell for a 5th at his lower salary with upside rather than, say, Tannehill for like $8mil/year

Pepsiguy5, Ptflea2, NCJetsfan and 6 others like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

I like it! Howell is an interesting guy. He plays very confident, often too confident. But as a backup QB, if the starter gets hurt there's something about a backup that walks in with some confidence.

Especially after last year when the team & coaching staff slit their wrists over Rodgers' injury

Jets79, ouchy and JetFanInPA like this.
  20. The_Darksider

I love the idea, and he was very highly regarded a couple of years back before he was drafted, but who the hell is going to develop him in this organization? And please don't say he can learn behind Aaron Rodgers. But at his salary it's probably worth a shot for a late pick.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.