Backup QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 20, 2024.

?

Backup QB options

1. Jimmy Garoppolo

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Jameis Winston

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Joe Flacco

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Trevor Siemian

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Ryan Tannehill

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. Jacoby Brissett

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  7. Tyrod Taylor

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Marcus Mariota

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. QB not listed

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Because our coaching staff/FO have no "stones" between their legs. They forgot that THEY are the head "swinging dicks" in charge over at Jets Plaza. They relinquished their power and control to a megalomaniac who is is either on his last leg or has no legs at all and is fleecing the Jets for a cool $50 million or so. This upcoming season WILL crash and burn. Let's face it, all the stars are aligned for this to happen. Rodgers is coming off the first MAJOR injury in his career, he's on the wrong side of the age discussion, he has fostered and sewn the seeds of malcontent within the locker room. Typically teams realize division by seasons end and steps are taken to correct that. In this team's case, not only are they NOT doing anything to calm those issues but they are doubling down on the entire regime that caused these divisions and people who continue to do so. It's a mess and nothing is going to cure this until Wood-rough is relieved of his ownership.

NCJetsfan and The_Darksider like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You are making a really good argument for taking a QB depending how the draft falls.
    We need a backup plus there’s an excellent chance our starter for 2025 is not currently on the roster.

That’s how good forward thinking orgs manage the draft, as a tool for the future rather than present.
    We are not a good org tho, JD is far from a good GM, and he’s desperate which means more bad decisions ahead.

Maybe the 2026 season we will draft a QB instead, after a terrible 2025, and that QB will need a couple years to grow, so maybe we competitive again in 2028?
    The more I think about it, the more I like your plan way more.

Rockinz likes this.
  3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

There's NO WAY the Jets draft a QB this year. What's going to happen instead, and you can pin this to either praise me for being right or ridicule me for being wrong, is that with a GM and coach that are clearly on the hotseat, a QB who's by all accounts at the very least being given a lot of latitude with what moves are being made, and a lack of draft capital this year to help him win, the Jets will almost certainly (I'd bet on it) start to destroy the future to try and win in 2024 and MAYBE 2025. No one with any power in the organization (not counting the dickhead owner who's an imbecile) cares what happens in 2026, and possibly not even 2025. They may try to save a little bit for 2025 in case 2024 is successful enough to run it back yet again, but 2026 and beyond doesn't exist right now.

They're going to restructure a lot of guys with highly paid contracts to create cap room, thereby pushing them back a few years. They're going to trade future draft picks for either big name players, more draft capital this year, or both. More likely both. The NY Jetropolitans are truly all in right now and that doesn't leave any room for a QB of the future. By 2026, we're going to have very few high draft picks, a bunch of older players playing out restructured contracts with high cap hits, and no cap room to make moves. We'll be starting over completely from scratch in 2026 for sure. By the time we crawl out from under all that, we'll be into the 2030s. If we don't make the playoffs in 2024, it's almost a certainty that we'll hit 20 years without a postseason berth.

And let's not even get into what happens "IF" and "WHEN" they clean house in 2025/26. Unless Woody gets lucky, we're just going to start the same cycle all over again with a new regime that'll suck because we'll be the NFL version of Chernobyl by that point with likely no playoff appearances in 16 years and nothing attractive about the position. It'll be first time GM, first time coach, and Woody making the choice all over again. Who else would want to come here? What qualified, experienced coach/GM/management candidate is going to even listen to an offer?

We better hope for a wildcard betth in 2024 - forget the Super Bowl. No shot. But a wildcard berth at the very least or it's going to get exceedingly likely that some of us won't make it to the next time the Jets play in the postseason.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I just read an article the Sean Payton was going to draft Mahomes at #11 when he had Brees but then KC traded up and the rest is history. Payton told Brees if he’s there at 11 we are taking him. JD needs to have the same stones with ARod who is in my opinion in the same league as Brees.

Mahomes ended up sitting behind Smith as well. It’s just the best way to run an organization. Taking a back up QB is the play if Alt, Nabers and Harrison are off the board. If Bo Nix is there at 10 you take him and now you have given the team a legitimate insurance policy if ARod gets hurt and if he doesn’t Nix can learn behind on of the greats like Love did, like ARod did etc etc

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Sure, taking a potential future franchise QB is the long term move, but you just have to realize that this regime is no longer in the “building a long term winner” mindset…this regime is 100% in the “we need to win in 2024” mindset. It is what it is.

There is NO WAY they are selling a backup QB to Rodgers or to the fanbase…I just don’t see it.

Especially when the OL is such a disaster.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The back up QB position is the reason our season went into the toilet that’s what everyone needs to realize. Winning in 2024 is not an option if we don’t take care of that immediately. It blows my mind thinking that Rodgers coming off a torn Achilles is magically going to play 17+ games. With our D if we had a capable back up we could have easily made the playoffs. You’re not going to get one free agency and the best option for a genuine good player is that 10th overall pick. Unless Alt, Nabers or Harrison falls in our lap then you take that all day.

WarriorRB28 and dawinner127 like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yah…I’m not saying QB is not a need…I’m just saying that I don’t think JD is going to do that with the 10th overall as I think they see OL as a more immediate and pressing need than a backup QB today and potential for future. I think they are in win now mode and will likely get a backup QB in free agency and use the 10th pick to address OL early.

I don’t know anything about Nix so no idea how good he is or isn’t expected to be in the NFL, but the one comment I saw about the senior bowl wasn’t a glowing take…not to put too much stake in it, but if you’re worried about backup QB, I would think there are likely better options in free agency to come in and play decently than a rookie, as most rookie QBs aren’t exactly lighting up the NFL…Stroud and Herbert are two examples recently, and if Nix is in that mold, I would love to have him.

But I just don’t think JD will do that. We’ll see in a few months!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You have no mention of addressing the OL if Alt is off the board, so it's a certainly that the offense would struggle again, and more than likely Rodgers would get hurt, and if Nix was the backup, then he could wind up injured as well or maybe as beat up as David Carr was in Houston. The OL absolutely has to be the #1 priority over a future QB or an aging WR. Evans isn't the right WR, either. He will cost a bloody fortune and is older, and his production has already started declining.

9. NCJetsfan

I agree that drafting a QB this year is a reach, and I would add a waste.

I would be absolutely shocked if Zach is still here. Saleh made it clear that he doesn't want Zach, and I'm absolutely certain that Zach wouldn't want to come back even if Saleh begged him to come back. Saleh has completely mishandled Zach and quite possibly ruined whatever chances he had at being a quality NFL QB. With the OL likely not being appreciably better, I think Zach would sit out and demand a trade rather than come back.

10. NCJetsfan

No, the backup QB position isn't why the season went into the toilet. The reason the season went into the toilet is that the Jets hired a totally incompetent OC and JD failed to do what was necessary to fix the OL. Now in JD's possible defense, if Woody was the one who insisted on hiring Hackett and trading for Rodgers, then that's on Woody, but if not, then JD takes the full hit. With a competent OC who would have tailored the offense to what the backup could do well, who would have watched film and made the players get it right in TC, who would have been able to call plays in not such a predictable and conservative fashion, and was capable of making adjustments and did so, the OL almost certainly could have played better, Zach could have played better, and the offense could have avoided being perhaps the worst in NFL history. Would things have gone better with a better backup? Certainly, but with the OL the way it was and an incompetent OC who failed to do his job, that better backup would have struggled, perhaps badly, as well.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Come on. You're telling me the Jets don't beat the Pats, Falcons, Raiders or Chargers with someone like Brissett? The season went down the tubes the moment Zach had to play more than 1 game followed by Tim Boyle playing a handful of games.

Pepsiguy5, Ralebird and jets_fan like this.
  12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

For good measure let's add one more log to the fire...

It is VERY possible that any quality offensive weapon this team drafts will choose NOT to sign and re-enter the draft the following year. Let's lay it out there. The New York Jets are where offensive weapons go to die. Across the board. It's great for that first "cheap" 1st round draft pick contract but a second contract, where the real money is made, is almost assuredly in jeopardy with the lack of offensive production. Both B. Hall and G. Wilson are WORSE than when they entered the league. It's pretty rare that guys go BACKWARDS but that's the case when it comes to the Jets. I know if this team drafted me I'd go play in Canada before suiting up for the Jets.

13. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

No question. This falls squarely into the not having any cap room discussion, but we can certainly separated out as just another reason that we are Chernobyl.

14. NCJetsfan

I said that things certainly would have gone better with a better backup, but a better backup wasn't going to fix Hackett's issues or the OL's issues. Brissett may or may not have been enough in those games to over come Hackett and the OL, but by the same token, with more attention to detail, better play calling, tailoring the offense more to Zach, and holding players accountable, the offense would have been better, and it's quite possible that Zach would have been able to play better and do enough to win those games as well. He was under constant pressure most of the season.

The bottom line is that the JD did a horrible job with the OL. Had he fixed the OL Rodgers may never have gone down with injury and Zach may never have seen the field, although on the play where Rodgers was hurt, the defense dictated a short, quick throw, and Rodgers wanted something deep, so he contributed to his own injury.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's taken you much longer than anyone else here to finally come around to understanding the incompetence that is the New York Jets, but until you let go of your unrealized and unrealistic vision of exactly what Zach Wilson actually is you'll never be freed. Zach Wilson never was qualified to be a first round draftee and a starting quarterback in the NFL - it's just that simple. Also quite simple is seeing that he was not equipped to play regularly in the NFL, even in his third season.

A competent backup quarterback could very well have kept the Jets in the hunt for a playoff berth but, inexplicably. the Jets never made a move to get the best guy available before midnight on September eleventh. Instead, they waited weeks before bringing in a third tier backup and still did not get him on the field soon enough while incompetence ruled. It's not the player's fault if he doesn't have the tools to do the job, it's the fault of the guy who hired him and threw him into a situation where he was incapable of consistently keeping his head above water. I note that you are generous in building in a possible Johnson alibi for Douglas in staffing the OC and OL positions, even in the Rodgers fiasco, but still won't address the failure of the entire organization to properly staff the most important position on the team.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"VERY possible"? Actually, it is only microscopically possible that anyone drafted by any NFL team would decline to sign his contract in favor of sitting out for a year and entering the draft again a year later, especially a first round pick. Even then, the possibility exists that they could be drafted again by the same team or one in even worse condition. I suppose playing in Canada for a year could keep a guy in football shape but at what expense? A career ending injury? It's just not done.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The problem is that first, almost no rookie - even Mahomes - can play at a good NFL level right out of the gate. Second - and most importantly - the Jets have NEVER developed a good young QB (Namath, O'Brien, and Pennington were all from a far different era and don't really count). Using the #10 on a QB (or anything other than a OT) would be so Jets like, and would be laughable if it weren't so maddening. Finally, there is no "long term" right now for Douglas & Co. - either they make the playoffs or they're done.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you if there's a QB at #10 they have rated higher than any other position they should take the QB. Allow him to learn behind Rodgers for a year.

Who did you have in mind? Everything I've heard and seen (admittedly not much) has 3 QBs going in the top 5.

It'll never happen. For it to happen it would require a regime with job security going forward. There is 0% chance the current regime uses that top pick on a player that will not start in 2024/help THEM keep their jobs in 2024.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Man that's apocalyptic.

The_Darksider likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The logic of taking a QB in 2024:

Maybe picking a QB at 10 with no o-line will work out better than picking one at 2nd or 3rd with no o-line.

Maybe 10 was just the sweet spot all along?