Backup QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 20, 2024.

?

Backup QB options

1. Jimmy Garoppolo

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Jameis Winston

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Joe Flacco

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Trevor Siemian

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Ryan Tannehill

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. Jacoby Brissett

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  7. Tyrod Taylor

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Marcus Mariota

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. QB not listed

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fair enough- I think best player in the draft will be a stretch, just because I think if he stays healthy Marvin Harrison Jr. is going to end up in the Hall of Fame like his dad. Ohio State is cranking out polished receivers every year. He has received that polish on top of being just as talented and bigger than his father.

If I was the Bears I'd draft Harrison Jr. no.1 and pair him with Fields but I digress...

I am interested to see how Nix does. 61 college starts is the most all time so he is ready for the NFL

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m a huge Harrison fan. Also love Nabers and Joe Alt a lot in this draft. For quarterback it’s going to come down to the situation. If Drake Maye or JD are forced to start they could easily bust. Williams too. To me Nix is the only quarterback that can start day 1 but if gets in the situation of being a back up could be even better for him. Honestly, if the jets took him it’s probably the best draft pick they could do (if Harrison, Alt, Nabers off the board ). Sounds crazy I know but first off you immediately solidify your back up position and you get a kid to learn from ARod for at least 1 year possibly 2. If ARod gets hurt you have a player who is pro ready. It’s a win win.

If I’m JD and Harrison, Alt and Nabers are off the board I’m trading back 3-10 spots picking up an extra pick or two. Taking Nix in the first and then using the rest of the draft class on weapons for ARod/the D. Plus pick up a wide out in free agency for ARod (Evans). Be up front with him and Tell him we need to fill the backup position so he doesn’t cry about it like he did when GB took Love.

BacktoQueens and BrowningNagle like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I haven’t watched Nix, but if he’s all that I’d love to have him…the problem is how do we pass on OT at that spot? There will likely be one of the top three tackles at 10, and if they’re not, then it likely means a good receiver will be there for us. Hard to pass on either of those spots to take a QB, even though I do think we need one

4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I read somewhere very recently that the Jets only get hit for 5M or so if they are able to trade him. So look for the obligatory "6th and Wilson for a 5th" type of deal.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We pretty much have to take an OT or WR (or Bowers) with our first pick. Our GM and coach are trying to save their jobs next season, there's no way they blow their most premium draft pick on a backup QB who does nothing for the team in the near term.

It's a shitty situation but this is what happens when you retain a GM and coach too long like we're doing by not moving on from JD and Saleh before next season.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hear ya, but even $5m is a lot to swallow. That's almost half of our current cap space, and we haven't signed anyone yet. Heck, GMs cut kickers to save a 1/2 million. I'm feeling unless we find another team to take him (and his 4th year salary), we might be stuck with him. Even if we find a team to take him, I think we're still stuck with that $5m cap hit from his $22m signing bonus.

Plus I'm not 100% convinced Joe Douglas slash Woody Johnson are done with him.

The_Darksider likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I still think Zach and a 6th to the Rams for a 3rd.

8. The_Darksider

I can't imagine (well I could) they would go down that road again. It's scary to think that they would just to save $5M but unfortunately I can't not imagine it either.

9. Footballgod214

Nah, I'm sure they bring in some kind of vet to sit behind Rodgers. But that don't automatically mean they cut/trade ZW. I guess if we draft a young QB, there'd be no room for him and they'd have to take the hit.

10. The_Darksider

I can't imagine any scenario where they draft a QB unless it's late. Without a 2nd round pick and with the corner they've unfortunately painted themselves into that forces them to go all in to try and win this year with a hangover for next year possible, they aren't looking at the future. The circumstances dictate as much and the really really hot seat the management team is sitting upon does as well.

So in my eyes the options are keep Zach and pray Rodgers stays healthy because if not you've got a repeat of 2023, or get what you can for him and sign a backup.

I don't see them keeping Zach as the 3rd stringer at his salary. They'd be far better off eating the 5M than paying him to not dress.

11. Rockinz

Yes, not to mention that ARod is running the show. It’s clear as day he’s pulling the strings because there is no chance Hack would still have a job without ARod. I just wish we could make the right decision for once…..

If I’m JD I need a good backup and sell ARod on free agent moves at OL and WR. Be clear that if Harrison, Nabers or Alt are on the board we will take them but if not we need a back up if there is an injury again. Bo Nix is the perfect pick because he ran a similar offence to Hackett, he is a Sr coming off a great season and if he sits that can only help his development and most likely in that situation the Jets should be winning games with ARod at the helm.

#71 Rockinz, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  12. Rockinz

The problem is that after Alt it’s a huge drop off in talent and after Harrison/Nabers it’s an even bigger drop off in talent….

13. Footballgod214

Ya, drafting a QB in this draft seems like a reach.

I just remember how the 9ers were SO DONE with Gurappalo they didn't even allow him in the building for Training Camp. He was DONE DONE. Then...ut oh....Jimmy G is back under center. Similar to ZW this year. He is DONE DONE but still hanging around by a thread due to cap complications.

Zack won't start the season as QB1 or QB2, but he may still be on the team for one reason or another. Hanging on by a thread. IF that's the case, they may even play him in the 4thQ of a few pre-season games, hoping he plays his ass off and some team takes a flyer on him. Plus, since he's already bought and paid for, he'd be a QB3 with 3 years of starting experience (a fact that almost never happens) and cost us nothing in terms of 'new cap space'.

Jets79 and The_Darksider like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

No I get it…I agree backup QB and next starting QB are a huge need for us. No question.

However, looking at the spot JD and Saleh are in, needing not only to win, but really to make the playoffs this year, there is no way they draft a backup QB in my mind. They need players who will help TODAY, and the only way the backup QB helps today is if AR gets hurt again and misses significant time again, and if that happens, the record will likely be the same or worse than this year and they know they are out.

So I just don’t see it

They will go top OT or WR or maybe trade down if they don’t like who’s left. I guess a trade up is also always a possibility if they really want whomever they see as the top OT, can’t ignore that possibility with JD, but honestly, I think they will be drafting to save their jobs, not to plan for a future which they won’t see if next season tanks.

ouchy likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Plus Aaron Rodgers is dictating our offseason. There is no way in hell we draft a QB with a high pick. It would be like throwing a stick of dynamite into the locker room.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. Rockinz

I agree but as I said it’s unfortunate because what’s best for the jets if Harrison, Alt or Nabers is gone and we reach for a OT or WR that might help this year or bust. Desperation drafting causes mediocrity. If the big 3 are off the board and Bo Nix is sitting there for us JD has to pull the trigger. If ARod gets hurt he can step in. If ARod plays then he learns under one of the best. It’s win win. Where JD might want to take a different approach that GB took when the drafted Love is that they didn’t tell ARod. Instead tell him we need to solidify the back up role and we will use free agency and the rest of our picks on win now players.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. Rockinz

He is dictating it for sure. Let him dictate free agency and a bunch of other picks. Just not the one that can help us now if he gets hurt or in the future when he retires in 1-2 years.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why do so many here care about what Rodgers thinks? He is not part of even the midrange future of the Jets. To allow his presence today to dictate putting the team in a futile long range position for success is ridiculous.

Tebow? Fail - move on! Favre? Fail - move on! Rodgers? Fail - move on!

(That is not to say that each event did not result in selling seats - it just had nothing to do with changing the direction of the team.)

mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I'd take about any QB in the NFL other than Darnold. I'm sure that he's still throwing the ball up for grabs into triple and quadruple coverage.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I agree with Alt. And I agree to an extent with Harrison and Nabers but I think you can still find top end receivers even if they’re not MHJ. It’s harder to do that with tackles.