Backbreaker

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by ukilledkenny, May 21, 2010.

1. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Madden has a franchise mode because you have rookies and young players and because of that it makes sense.

Having a Franchise mode in APF doesn't make sense. You have all these different players who are different ages from different eras. They could have done it but decided against it because it would be impossible to do correctly. So instead of half assing it they went in a different direction. Don't act as if EA has a stranglehold on some new technology that 2k programmers just can't seem to grasp.

The main focus of the game was the online aspect which they nailed right on the head (online leagues which Madden 08 didn't have at all, and Madden 09 had a bare bones version of) which is why people are still playing the game competitively today nearly 3 years later.

Have you ever even played APF?

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

yeah i hate madden so much that i am still playing it. i played two games online this afternoon and i'll probably do the same tomorrow. 2010 took large steps in the right direction on the field but trying to defend that franchise mode is laughable.

3. steves850

steves850 Active Member

.... back to Backbreaker, I'm thinking about buying it can anyone give me their professional opinions? I'd rather hear from uncompromised fans than a website that make be getting a kickback to give better reviews.

4. ukilledkenny

it's fun for the first few minutes then you realize that the cpu is totally incompetent and the game loses all of it's fun. it might be a fun game online but i can't justify buying it based on the demo.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

You say enough of this shit then ask me to break it down...lol...
    no need to sound so inslulted..

If you don't know by now then
    Either you don't wanna know or just don't care to.

Look it up online or read some comments here. It's well documented.

But again, It's people opinion..enjoy Madden if you like...but ..
    Beutiful looking game, Incredible animations but then,
    Thats it my friend.

Looks more like Cyberball 5000.
    Do not expect a serious X's & O's game , it doesn't exist in backbreaker.

Try the demo on XBL b4 making the purchase.

#25 Royal Tee, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  6. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Or read the review about some of the funniest glitches ever. 109 yard extra points, guys who run in circles, touchbacks going for safeties. They delayed it once, looked like they should of done it again for a year to fix all the stuff that's wrong with it.

BTW - Still no PS3 demo.

Just browsed thru most of the reviews on metacritic and here are some of the complaints & glitches:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/06/01/ps3-review-backbreaker/

"Ranging from a football flying way up in the air for no apparent reason, to a player recovering a fumble on the ground, who then suddenly appears running along the pitch with no animation of him getting up."

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-reviews/374.html

"Regardless of whether you play on Arcade or Pro mode, the offensive lines for both teams are way too porous. Any given game will see literally dozens of sacks, and a horde of interceptions and fumbles. Scrambling as the QB is essentially out of the question and you almost never have more than a few seconds to get rid of the ball, regardless of the talent of your offensive line. I built up an All-Star team just to test this, and my QB was almost as susceptible as when I chose a random team and played an Exhibition match. Same goes for the running back; he almost never has holes because the o-line is mostly useless, and to top it all off, it’s far too easy to lose your balance. I’ve been tripped up by a random arm, I've tripped over my own players, and in general, if you even touch another player, you’re going down."

http://www.cheatcc.com/ps3/rev/backbreakerreview.html

"All of that isn't enough to save the game from itself, however. Disappointingly, Backbreaker gets a lot more wrong than it does right. For instance, the game is absolutely riddled with silly little issues that haven't been present in the competition's offering since the 90's. Things like poor spots (forward progress is essentially non-existent), egregious, persistently uncalled offensive pass interference, missed tackles, poor time management (calling a timeout is like pulling teeth due to replay interference), and non-adaptive passing (quarterbacks seem to only be able to throw to predetermined spots) left me perplexed. The more you play, the more these little knives twist, fomenting frustration."

http://gameinformer.com/games/backbreaker/b/ps3/archive/2010/06/01/review.aspx

"Then there are the random bugs. The worst one I witnessed happened on a punt block. As I waited to return the ball, one of my rushers blocked the kick, picked it up, and started running in circles around the bunched up line of scrimmage. The game wouldn’t allow me to change players and take control of him, so this carried on until he accidentally ran into one of his teammates and fell into the end zone. The following extra point was bafflingly placed backwards at the two-yard line, so my kicker was facing the whole of the field from the end zone and the defense was lined up where I belonged."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1094390p1.html

"My main issue comes on defense when, for some unknown reason, I have to tell my defender where to look. Do professional football players need to be told what deserves their attention? No, I don't think so. What you're left controlling in Backbreaker's form of defense is what feels like a horse with no direction. Slamming down on the right trigger to engage turbo brings the camera annoyingly close to your defender, thus totally restricting your view of everything else on the field (like putting blinders on). Matters only worsen when you try to switch players. Swapping between a defensive end and defensive back is incredibly jarring, especially if the two players are moving in opposite directions (which they usually are)."

A bit long
    http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/28/early-backbreaker-impressions

"Penalties are implemented so poorly in the game. They are often called wrong especially with roughing the passer. Pass interference is called many times when it shouldn’t have been (or the wrong side is flagged) and ignored other times where receivers get plastered. I’ve yet to see any holding calls.

I’ve had two instances where passes were caught in the back of the end zone where I think the game believed both feet weren’t in because a “no gain” message popped up. Unfortunately instead of granting the TD or even just going to the next down it gave the ball to the opposition. Basically like it was a touchback. I have one of those times on a video I’ll be posting later.

CPU time management is brutal. The funniest instance of poor time management was when I was driving for a score late in the half (under a minute and in field goal range). The CPU had one timeout left and used it after I got a first down. They run a lot in passing situations then use timeouts when they have the ball late in a half.

I’ve started getting frustrated some in being tackled by my teammates. Running into them at all usually results in my player getting knocked down to the ground.

It is a very satisfying feeling making plays on offense in Backbreaker on both the ground and through the air. Not as satisfying on defense cause of the detached feel. CPU teammates make most of the plays including the majority of INTs.

Some really cool moments where I tried to cut back and got tripped up. My favorite tackles are probably where players get tripped up or grabbed by their extremities.

Playbooks are the same as in the demo and each team has the same playbook.

There is really no reason to run no-huddle. With no accelerated clock and such limited playbooks it is just as fast to go to the playbook and select a play quickly.

The CPU loves to run draw plays. I’d say a good third of the plays they run are draws.

The CPU catches punts in the end zone AND runs them out.

Slight framerate drop on kicks and punts.

The crowd is disappointing. With the focus down on the field I expected more out of the crowd.

Quarters are limited to minute lengths of 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15. Would’ve liked more options than just those. If you’re going to offer 1 minute quarters (worthless) then why not 6-8 minute quarters that would get some play?

There are 13 stadiums but 3 of them are locked!

There is no way to view stats during the game. Only at halftime and after the game is over.

No in-game saves or even a way to sim to the end of the game.

The Replay functionality is the same as in the demo which is disappointing."

He also did a couple of videos:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVYURQe_TJI[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_YuLsUAgU[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/31/early-backbreaker-online-impressions

"While the game is a lot more fun online due to the balance and challenge just being online doesn’t solve all the bugs with the game. In fact in my last play through I had the ball punted to me and bounce into the end zone where my opponent picked up the ball and was given a TD. Then it went to me attempting a PAT from my own one yard line (109 yard kick). After that attempt failed (I decided to go for a 99 yard 2pt conversion) it had me kicking off."

What a PoS game this is.

#26 wildthing202, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Like I said, an awesome physics engine isn't worth a 50 dollar price tag. The one positive about Backbreaker AND I MEAN ONE POSITIVE is you will never see the same tackle twice. It is not a canned animation game, they teach every player to walk individually. Everything else in this game has already been offered in a football game before. There is nothing new or exciting about any of the features or lack of. Why people aren't recognizing that this was a game made for one reason and one reason only, to sell the Euphoria engine is beyond me. All those reviews back it up.It doesn't matter how good the game is or how well it does in reviews, this game is to get the big guys (namely EA) to realize that this is technology worth investing in.

The company also has a Hockey game in development using Euphoria, called ICEBREAKER, for the exact same reasons. This is just baseless speculation on my part, but I think that played into why 2K is taking a break from Hockey this year. They might go after it.

8. wildthing202

The hockey game will be lucky to sell 1,000 copies vs. NHL 11/12 especially since NHL is already going to a physics based system.

9. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

No different than Backbreaker vs. Madden.

10. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

No, it's different because the NHL series is widely regarded as the best sports game there is, and is already starting to implement the very thing that Back/Icebreaker touts as its only advantage. They really are wasting their time with a hockey version.

11. wildthing202

Huge difference in just the selling point

Canned animations(Madden) vs. Physics(Backbreaker)
    Physics(NHL) vs. Physics(Icebreaker)

What exactly would be the selling point for a non-NHL game that's stripped down that uses a similar physics system? NHL sales are 1/5 of Madden's and 2k had no chance even with the NHL license(900,000+ vs. 170,000+) and you expect a game without one to be competition, ha. They'd be better off just canceling the game since it's what 2k did.

12. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

'
    The selling point is to create hype for the Euphoria engine itself. That's it. It's not about turning a profit. It's about getting people to say "Hey, the way that guy falls is pretty F'in cool"

Honestly I'm totally skeptical of this "real time physics engine" that EA Sports claims to be putting out. For them to put out a revolutionary gameplay feature when it isn't needed just isn't like them, especially in a year where there is no direct game in competition with the NHL license. Until I see some direct video feed from the gameplay, I can't say I believe this. What I do foresee is an overhauled rewritten engine similar to Madden's where they tweaked & cleaned movements and added thousand of new animations and they give it a cool new name. Hence "Locomotion" That's what I see happening. All we have to go off of is a single screenshot and a few people who signed NDAs saying that the game looks great. E3 is in a few weeks, time will tell.

Is Icebreaker going to be any competition to EAs NHL Series sales? No. Did I say it was? No. Is Backbreaker going to be any competition to Madden sales? No.

What I meant when I said 2K might go after Euphoria is that instead of wasting time, money, and programmers trying to fix a game that is clearly broken and has been for awhile, they decided to take a year off, lick their wounds, and see what this Euphoria is all about when implemented into Sports games.

13. wildthing202

:rofl: I don't exactly get what you're going for but it's fairly obvious you haven't been following anything with EA or just don't know anything about EA. Sports games don't just compete with just other sports games, they compete with every game out there.

NHL might have any direct competition this year but they're not just going to sit there and do nothing since they still have to sell their game.

Madden & NCAA Football is done by EA Tiburon which is in Florida which a physics system is hard to produce figuring there's 23 people on the field and at most 120 people on the sidelines since people want interactive sidelines. It probably won't be in the game till next year at the earliest. They want to perfect the physics before they will implement it in a future version and with so many players it's hard to get it done within a single production cycle.

NHL & NBA Elite both of which are getting the new physics system are done by EA Canada in Burnaby, BC. Both games have fewer players on the playing field so it's easier to implement the physics system. Both games are dropping most of their animations so it will be mostly physics based. It's the same system that was used in Fight Night Round 4.

So this company made a glorified tech demo for 2k and is selling it to people just because? If it's not competition for Madden then what's the point of making it public? They could of easily just gave a demo of it to 2k with out wasting all of that money on production if being competition wasn't their intention.

14. ukilledkenny

dude, EA is obviously making their own in house physics engine for NHL 11 so the 3 year old Euphoria is just trying to sell this to EA theory is pretty much dead.