Asomugha wants to be a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by InRevisWeTrust, Feb 1, 2010.

1. SanchezToEdwards

That was different times, different management. I doubt Al Davis still holds a grudge against the new management..they didn't do anything

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Grudges are irrelevant.

Davis will trade Asomugha for the highest offer possible, IF he decides to give him up.

You dont trade the best player on your team for anything less than the best deal possible.

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I think we are outthinking ourselves here a lil bit. Just like what you have mentione (which I did not know), it is all about business. NFL is business for the owners, not entertainment for the fans. They don't buy teams, they 'invest'. If the price is right, the old fart will blink.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As you age your most vivid memories tend to be the ones from your prime, when your ability to process information and understand it was strongest. I have no doubt that Al Davis remembers 1968 much better than he remembers 1998 at this point.

I see this with my dad, who is 84, all the time. He's totally there mentally but he's living in the context of 1960 to 1980, not what is going on today. If I ask him a question about my childhood he has instant recall of events and what happened. If I ask him a question about the early 90's he has much more trouble.

5. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

There's not enough money for something like that to happen.

6. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Only if Rex talked back right? :up: Maybe Rex was too busy trying to hide his boner when Asomugha brought it up that he forgot to say any words, which might keep us in the clear :rofl:

7. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

Okk... so.. is there ANY way possible for this to happen.. I basically just had an orgasm in my school library just imagining this happening.. and was so relieved not to see... GTFO with this bullshit from the next few posters..

But realistically, I know that the contract would be insane.. and our payroll would prob be close to the top compared to the rest of the league.. BUT

could this actually happen.. with the new stipulations that come with this being an uncapped year.. since im still confused on exactly how we go about obtaining new players (whether it trade or FA)

I usually hate threads that fantasize about us getting players that is usually unrealistic.. but when dealing with Al Davis.. ANYTHING is possible.. even DHB getting drafted ahead of crabtree..

but like i said.. it might be impossible just because of restrictions from an uncapped year..

8. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Says who? Jets are always looking at ways to get under the salary cap, which suggests we are much higher spenders than what the cap had offered. Uncap opens a lot of possibilities. Problem is, we were the top 4 last yr. Not the best to be a top 4 but I'd take it every yr. There's plenty of money to go around and we'll see in the coming weeks.

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

We clearly need Mangini to coach the Raiders.

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

ESPN "Insider" has an article up about this now, but I don't have a membership. I wonder if it has any more information other than Aso's quote?

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Just shit my pants...

13. 624

624 Banned

Asomugha and Revis on the same team would be like cheating, hopefully Asomugha would be able to play both sides of the field like Revis could.

With Jenkins taking up 2 people, Revis and Asomugha doing the jobs of 4 people, we could literally play with 8 ppl on defense and still have a top 20 D, with 11 we will rival the 85 bears...

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's probably a big NO. From what I have seen, ESPN 'Insider' usually has less information in it than other free sources.

It's ESPN, man.

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Same.

Still:

bonerbonerbonerbonerbonerbonerboner

16. SCOTTI627

SCOTTI627 New Member

From the ESPN AFC East blog:

"MIAMI -- A few AFC thoughts and observations from its 41-34 victory in Sunday night's Pro Bowl at Sun Life Stadium ...

I just heard one of the scariest ideas anybody has mentioned to me in a long time.

The AFC's starting cornerbacks, Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, want to play on the same team. As fantastical as that notion might be, it's frightening to consider.

Oakland Raiders star Asomugha was smiling when he brought up the dream scenario, but insisted he was "dead serious" and has spoken to New York Jets coach Rex Ryan about it.

"Me and Revis have been talking to Rex to try to do something," Asomugha said. "You may see us in the future. There's a little bit of talk going on. Either he's coming to Oakland or something else will happen."

Said Revis: "Me and him have talked about it, but I can't really control that situation. I don't know if he can either."

As much of a nightmare as it would be for opposing quarterbacks, it would be just as daunting for a team's capologist to figure out a way to pay them both. Asomugha has two years left on a three-year, $45.3 million contract that made him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

Revis, considered by most to be the NFL's top cover cornerback, might make more than that soon.

"That's a lot of money they're going to be pushing around," Revis said, "but that'll be tough for quarterbacks. I'll tell you that."

Revis and Asomugha on the field together would elicit memories of Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes for the Oakland Raiders in the 1980s.

"In a league where the art of man-to-man has kind of gone out of style, that could bring it back," Asomugha said.

"You always want that as a player, to have that guy on the other side of you that's equally as talented and can make plays. It fuels you a little bit. We'd been joking around with [AFC coach] Norv Turner throughout practices all week, and with [NFL commissioner] Roger Goodell. He said they probably wouldn't allow us on the same team." "

This would be sick...

17. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Disgusting. Just disgusting.

For the record, if this ever happened, Bill Polian will force through a rule change that the Jets have to take knees on all offensive snaps.

...we'd still make the playoffs. :smile:

18. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

All we have to do is trade clowney! Some one get this mans 40 time and email it to al davis! LETS GET THIS DONE!

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Oh shhit, Al is gonna file tampering charges against Goodell and Turner too!

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

lol, thats what I thought. Clowney and Allison would be more than enough to turn the old farts head.