ASOIAF: Game of Thrones Books (Contains SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jun 10, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I just looked it up, he was eight, older than I thought, still not old enough to consummate.

You're probably right about not having to switch out actors, though.

2. abyzmul

I just read like 20 threads on Nerdsteros.org, and one post was pretty interesting.

Somebody floated the idea of Bran warging into one of Dany's dragons. That would be something.

Harry Banus likes this.
  3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I always assumed that Jon, Bran and Dany were the heads and that warging was how they would control them. I guess that doesn't do much with Dany, but makes sense with Bran and Jon. Of course, he's dead..............

4. abyzmul

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Meh...Bran is occupied at the moment being partial tree that can see through time or whatever that deal was all about, I forget.

I am not convinced Jon is dead just yet, unless they have a funeral or they literally have their heads chopped off I don't believe anyone is dead in this series.

6. abyzmul

Bran is being taught to use his ability by Bloodraven (read the Dunk and Egg books if you are unfamiliar). I'm not really certain that Bran will be a "good guy" in most of the final volumes.

Also something of note: Bloodraven once used his sorcery to disguise himself as a knight named Ser Maynard Plumm.

7. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Bran going full on dragon warg might be a bit much but he'll probably at least be able to break whatever mind contol the dragon horn gives you over them

8. abyzmul

That's another thought I hadn't considered.

9. deerow84

I haven't really paid much attention to Bran's storyline as it bores me, likely at my peril for the overall importance of his role in the future of Westeros.

10. abyzmul

His trek to the Wall wasn't much to be excited about, but once he crossed over I don't know how you can think it was boring. There was a lot of foreshadowing.

11. deerow84

Yeah I might have to re-read some of them. I think my brain just kind of tuned out when I saw it was a Bran chapter after awhile.

12. abyzmul

Easy to do. Martin coasted through a lot of chapters in the past couple of volumes.

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

This is another issue as the delays between books and the series itself gets longer, unless you're doing re-reads it's impossible to remember what the fuck happened previously.

14. abyzmul

I know this is a point of contention with you, but I find myself understanding the story better with a re-read.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

I agree, I'm just saying at this point a re-read is a massive undertaking and probably not something your average reader is going to do. Maybe I'm just weird though, my OCD won't let me continue with a series if I lose my grip on the plot, I won't even get started with a series now if the author is talking about a huge number of books. I had to abandon Wheel of Time and the Malazan series rather than go back and re-read the earlier books.

16. deerow84

You could just read a synopsis somewhere, I'm sure there are wikis and whatnot. That's probably what I'm going to do at some point, probably not until just before the next book comes out...so, like 2019 at this rate.

17. abyzmul

I feel similar, the only time I do the re reads are right before a book gets released.

18. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I gave up on WOT around book 8 and then reread when the final book came out. it took me a full year to read them all. I've decided to stop reading ASOIAF until he finishes, so ADWD will be the last one I read for the next decade at least, ( lol :( ). I was already forgetting names, and I can't stand that and I just have too many other books to read to constantly reread ASOIAF, regardless of how good it is.

Jon is not dead. I thought it was very lame of GRRM to do that to his fans. Just because we've figured all your shit out doesn't mean you have to end the book like that.

19. abyzmul

I don't think he "killed" Jon to spite the readers, he has been intertwining Jon and Melisandre well and it's a pretty neat twist to have him take the breath of life from Rhollor when he is loyal to the Old Gods. Assuming that is what will happen.

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

I think he just likes cliffhangers, there have been a bunch of fake out death scenes in the series already. Even if he's dead he'll either be resurrected or live on as a warg. I just hope the whole "death" thing isn't a contrivance to get him out of his nights watch vows so he can become the king of the north