ASOIAF: Game of Thrones Books (Contains SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jun 10, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tyrion does have blond hair in the books, actually. Go back to the beginning of AGoT, right at the beginning of the feast that Ned throws for Robert at Winterfell:

Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin's brood, and by far the ugliest. All that the gods had given to Cersei and Jaime, they had denied Tyrion. He was a dwarf, half his brother's height, struggling to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute's squashed-in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow. One green eye and one black one peered out from under a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white. Jon watched him with fascination.

Later on he grows a beard that comes in both black and blonde, maybe that was what confused you. The eyes and patchy beard could be part of his mutation, but the hair is unmistakable. Not gold like Lannister hair is described, but white-blond just like the Targs.

I almost think that GRRM added the patchy black beard later because he felt this was too obvious and wanted to throw readers off the track.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was him... which leads you to wonder about the placement of Jaqen in the dungeons and whether Varys has anything to do with him.

After I posted, I read the "Reexamined" one and started reading the fourth one but had a couple of meetings to go to, I'll have to go through it a bit, but I liked some of it.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The show Tyrion got me confused. I just thought Peter Dinklage the actor and thought brown hair haha. Good catch and good find of the text.

Yeah Varys and Littlefinger, everything in King's Landing can be traced to them it feels like.

Yeah it's the "feel good" conspiracy. The North reunites and gets behind the Starks because they're the North and they deserve a win.

3. abyzmul

Yeah, there's a lot of feelgood conspiracies floating around, when GRRM rarely does feelgood.

I have a feeling the Wall is coming down before any of that happens.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

GRRM rarely does anything these days but go to cons and schill for his shitty theatre, you've got a better chance of seeing Tyrion ride a turtle down the Rohyne than a dragon. I'd look to the TV show for hints as to how it's going to end, because that's probably the only ending we're going to get.

deerow84 likes this.
  5. abyzmul

You used to be more fun when you gave a shit about the story.

I get it, you don't think it will ever be finished.

I think it will, unless Martin either dies or succumbs to dementia/Alzheimer's in the next few years.

Aside from author anger, do you have any opinions?

6. abyzmul

So, I just got halfway through S04Ep02...

Did they really replace Jaime and Ilyn Payne's practice sessions with Bronn? I assume that means Bronn won't betray Tyrion for a fat retarded maiden and a lordship?

7. abyzmul

The fucking Red Viper is still alive???

Edit: dumbass, he's Tyrion's champion...

#127 abyzmul, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I watched Sunday's episode earlier, thought it was kind of a weird episode. Changed a few things from the booked, showed the baby get changed, not really sure where they are going with Bran's story. I hope they don't plan for him and Jon to meet up.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Some of the changes in the show are necessary but some are awful. Like making Jaime rape Cersei. And the Bronn fighting with Jaime. The whole point of Jaime fighting with Ilyn Payne was because he literally can't tell anybody. Not sure what they are doing with Shae either

deerow84 likes this.
  10. abyzmul

The fuck? The Night's King??? What the fuck is Martin doing?

11. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll finish either and I gave up on the show because I thought it was boring. GRRM has said he wrote a book with too many characters for a tv show. How do you make it a TV show them?

I find all the speculation ridiculous. If you still believe he finishes in 2 books how would there even be time for half the shit that that speculated.

The best theory I have heard is that Dany has her 1 dragon, and the Greyjoy dude steals the other 2 with the horn, which will finally make Dany go back to Westeros to reclaim her dragons. Of course, it will take GRRM 500 pages for that to happen, so look for 10 books, and GRRM to die prior. I wish him a long life though, not rooting for death, just doing some math.

12. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

Its a worry some situation for sure. Id hate to have invested all this time into this series to not have closure at the end. He was on good pace early on, but then went on an extended vacation.

I actually enjoy the theories of Tyrion being 1 of the 3 heads of the dragon. But I think it would much more interesting if the bastard Lannisters were Jamie and Cersie.

13. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If GRRM doesn't finish the books someone else will. It won't necessarily be the same but there will be some closure, possibly even will end exactly they way he intended if he has manuscripts or whatever. I heard he already discussed everyone with the producers of the show.

Could see a Robert Jordan Wheel of Time scenario where he kicks it and another sort of up and comer, in that case Brandon Sanderson who helped establish a name for himself, finishes off the series. I haven't read Wheel of Time but my brother has and he thought Sanderson was a far superior writer to Jordan and is now a huge Sanderson fan. I've read Sanderson's Mistborn series and the first book in his Stormlight Archive series and think it's pretty good.

I do agree that there is no way in hell that GRRM wraps everything up in a neat little bow in 2 books. It just isn't going to happen.

14. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you have read any of the bonus material he provided from the next book, Winds of Winter, it is a chapter of the war in whatever city Dany was in from Barristen's perspective, and NOTHING happens, a chapter with Arya, where we learn she is still training to DO SOMETHING THAT NO ONE KNOWS THAT RELATES TO THE OVERALL STORY LINE, and I think there is one of those Sand Snake girl perspectives, and it's been awhile since I read that one, but I'm pretty sure nothing happens to move the story along.

I've got a great feeling when in another 2 or 3 years pass and Winds of Winter is finally ready to go that it will be even more meandering than AFFC and ADWD since he'll have to put all the characters back into one book.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

If the next book is good I'd be right back in but after like 15 years and 2 mediocre at best books it's tough to keep expectations high. He really fucked himself not skipping the 5 year gap. I just read another series that had a 20 year gap in between books with nary an issue, I really don't see why he felt the need to grind the plot to a standstill to pad out some side stories. He could've easily come back after he finished the main series and written more books to "fill in the blanks" if he felt that strongly they needed to be told and people would've eaten them up regardless.

16. abyzmul

Hard to disagree. And when I read that he was going back to working on Wildcards I couldn't help laughing. I think he's afraid of screwing up ASOIAF. Either that, or Ann army of geeks already predicted how he wanted to end the series.

17. 3rdAnd15Draw

I've read most of his older stuff, short stories etc and it's all pretty good but holy shit does wildcards fucking suck. I get the impression from stuff I've seen him say that he doesn't like when people figure out his "twists" or whatever but honestly unless it's something completely out of left field someone is going to pick up on it if it's supported by the text at all with the number of people reading and speculating about the books. Hopefully he just says fuck it and goes back to whatever the original plan he had when he started the series was.

abyzmul likes this.
  18. abyzmul

LOL, yeah, WC was trash. One thing that made me mention dementia/Alzheimer's... he has many times referred to the fact that he has to ask that guy Ran about what happened in previous books. You'd assume the guy has copious records of everything he has written, and probably an assistant or two to keep them organized. Might be that his grey stuff is turning to mush.

19. abyzmul

I really don't get the casting of Tommen in the show. That kid is in his frigging teens. Tommen in the book is barely older than a toddler. The show Tommen could actually consummate with Margaery, it sort of flies in the face of the Tyrell machinations in the books.

deerow84 likes this.
  20. 3rdAnd15Draw

I guess it shows he's going to be around for awhile or have some role to play in the future. It makes more sense to cast a kid that's a little older now then having a little kid and replacing him out of nowhere down the line. I'm not sure but I also think he was around 10 or something in the books, just very naive and child-like.