Article: Saquon Barkley would like to play for the Jets, the team he grew up rooting for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NoodleArm, Feb 23, 2018.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

He won't get past the Giants.

He'll be a Jet when he's 32 and washed up. We love those type of acquisitions. Always have.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If they don't want one of the QBs (doubtful) they'll trade down I think.

In a QB rich draft those draft picks are golden. Just look at what the Browns and Bills got in return for trading down last year.

I don't doubt this guy Barkley is the real deal I just ain't buying that a RB has this much value in the 2018 NFL especially in this QB rich draft.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

After the combine, I'm getting the sense that the Giants are going to let their fans dictate organizational decisions and let Eli stay while hoping building around him will allow him to take them back to the playoffs and win another SB.

Clearly Eli has regressed, but ultimately if the Giants pass on a QB it would only benefit the Jets. That would mean that the 2 teams in front of the Jets going QB will likely be Browns and Broncos.

Even though I try not to put too much into the combine, Allen raised his stock and I can see the Browns or Broncos being so enamored by his physical traits that they jump on him. I'm a bit down on

The more teams that avoid taking a QB in the top 5 only benefits the Jets because it means we won't need to trade away meaningful draft capital to move up.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, latest rumor is Browns will take Barkley at 1 (as they should) and Mayfield or one of the others at 4.

#104 Don, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think the Giants are going to take Quenton Nelson. The new staff has been quite vocal about how much they care about the oline. Their oline is absolute trash and Nelson is probably top 3 oline prospect in past 10 years. Dude is an absolute monster and would get the Giants off to a great start with fixing their oline.

Because of this, I also think the Giants are a prime trade down opportunity. I don't think they'll take themselves out of reach of Nelson but they know they can gather value for their spot.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Giants will never trade with the Jets, but I also think that perhaps there's a smoke screen in play by the Giants. They make be giving off the impression that they'll take Saquon so they can force the Browns to take him first overall. If the Browns opt to go that way, Giants will have their selection at 2 for whichever QB they want. Colts at 3 wouldn't be in the market for a QB, so unless they're trading out, Browns could theoretically wait, secure Saquon, and if they value some of the QB's equally, they could still draft QB, instead of missing on Saquon.

7. MurrellMartin

If he gets past the Browns at 1 and Giants, which I don't think happens, there is no chance he gets past the Colts and Browns again at 4.

He won't be a Jet, even if we want him to be.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If there isn't a QB available with their first pick that they think can start this year and be the FQB, taking Barkley makes much more sense with that pick, even if they have to trade up to get him. He's as close to a certain success as anyone has been. Taking a QB who has question marks just because you need a QB doesn't mean that QB will pan out. If they can get Barkley and then a "2nd tier" QB, that's a great start in rebuilding.

tbruner12 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Not without trading up, which isn't by any means a certainty.

10. MurrellMartin

The Jets aren't trading up for a RB.

11. ColoradoContrails

I wouldn't be so sure.

Ozymandias and tbruner12 like this.
  12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Unless they have Kirk signed, there is zero shot they trade up for Barkley.

13. ColoradoContrails

Even if they don't get Cousins, if none of the QBs available to them aren't "sure things", they might well take the "sure thing" that Barkley represents and look for a QB later, or consider signing a different FA or make a trade for a QB.

Yes, in the past 10-15 years the RB has been devalued, but in the past couple of years teams with a strong rushing attack - spearheaded by a great RB - have had the most success, and Barkley is considered better than anyone in years. Adding him alone instantly upgrades the Jets offense from mediocre at best, to above average. Add a decent - not great - QB, and a #1 receiver and you have a playoff-caliber offense.

tbruner12 and Ozymandias like this.
  14. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Put Barkley with any of the QB's that everyone on the board is ensnared with, and you will have ZEK/DAK results. Cleveland may jump forward in their rebuild, by taking Batkley at 1, while the JETS waste their picks trading up to 2 to get the guy everyone wants, and still continue to simmer as a bottom dwelling team.
    Whoever that QB is, will be out of NY by his 5th year. Nacho part 2!

If we grab Barkley somehow, McCown will make this rookie class look mediocre for the rest of his career. The idea of grabbing a QB at all costs is stupid when you consider everything about our team.
    Building around a rookie QB doesn't work unless he is obviously going to be a star. The isn't a wonderful class, if you stop looking at them thru "FQB glasses", Barkley should be our #1 if we sell the draft for any player.
    This class isn't the 83 QB draft class.
    An Underclass men, a system QB, a strong armed project, a brittle pocket passer, with RGIV rounding out the top 5. The best QB may come from round 2 or 3.
    Our team can't support grooming a rookie FQB, stop fooling yourself.
    We have a rookie coordinator, a GM and coach on the hot seat, and a team neck deep into a rebuild with very little support from the current roster.
    If we get anything besides a FA QB, Mac failed on getting a QB.
    The playmaker is the best option for our team. Not a QB. Period.

Ozymandias likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I'm still of the opinion that getting the right QB still trumps getting Barkley, but the big question there is WHO is that guy, and is he even there this year? You make a very strong case for going with the "sure thing" in Barkley, and while I still want the QB, I won't cry if they can get Barkley. As you said, maybe Falk, or Rudolph, or one of the later round guys is actually the better QB. I know for sure I'd rather have Barkley than Allen.

There's still a lot to be yet revealed.

tbruner12 and playtowinthegame like this.
  16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Your opinion. If the team likes the kid a lot they'll go get him.

tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I totally respect your opinion Colorado. It seems we agree on a lot of occasions, and when we don't agree we don't treat each other like assholes. Lol
    I just am not buying all the hype with this QB class. I am also not of the pack who believes you draft QB's until you find the next Tom Brady, nor am I of the build a team around a rookie FQB. FQB's aren't drafted, they are produced within a system that is already in place. For every 1 FQB that is found in the draft, there are 3-4 times that many who do not work out, especially for teams in our current situation.
    For those that believe that the method is...."Grab your guy, and within 3-4 years have him throwing the ball like Brady and contending" solely based on having the right guy behind center, is a joke. You will never have the right guy with coaches going in and out, or coaches being inexperienced and then holding elevated positions. Having Bates as coordinator is not a rookie FQB ideal situation. Especially when there is so very little talent on our team offensively.;
    Also, the NFL hasn't forgotten about running the ball, and you and I agree that having a good running game is important for the offense in so so so many ways. Having a good to great running game allows a serviceable QB to become Tom Brady. It's not the other way around. IMHO.

I do not like the top end of this QB class. Barkley is a 1-2tkes a ldecade type of guy. The top 5 QB's happen every year, just not all 5 at once like this year.
    I hope we add big time players in this offseason. Draft or hire, I really don't care. I just know 5-11 won't get it done. I'm ready for a few playoff runs
    and a decades worth of good JETS football.

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

We'll see.

I love the RB position.

Curtis is one of my favorite Jets players ever. Bilal is one of my favorite current Jets.

If Barkley were to come here I'm sure he'd become one of my favorites soon enough if he's the real deal.:)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

My opinion sure, but let's be realistic. There will be uproar if Barkley is the pick and the QB position for this team is still in major question.

20. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Would love Barkley but only if Cousins was on the team.