Article: Saquon Barkley would like to play for the Jets, the team he grew up rooting for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NoodleArm, Feb 23, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe Robby Anderson can be useful after all...

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If we already have Cousins, or another decent QB, yes I would trade up to get Barkley. He would transform the offense almost by himself, and make any QB playing with him look good. He may be as much of a "sure thing" as there is in this draft, so why not lock him up? I really think Cleveland is going to do that.

tbruner12 and JetBlue like this.
  3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think the "rules" change slightly if you have the #1 AND the #4 overall pick. And have that in round 2 as well. If they don't have 1 exact QB they totally love taking Barkley #1 overall makes a lot of sense in this completely abnormal situation.

BomberJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

A few months back I thought the Jets might make a good move taking Barkley with their #1 pick but at this point I think the chances of him still being available are extremely low and getting lower by the day if not by the hour.

Just the chances that he makes it past pick #2 is probably less than 50/50 and past pick #4 I would assume is well under 10%

BomberJet likes this.
  5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The first pick by the Browns will be very interesting because of the effect it will have on what the the Giants and Colts do. If Barkley is #1, either the Giants select Nelson or shop the pick. I used to believe that they would draft a QB but it seems more and more that they would rather give Eli a supporting cast of players and try to make a playoff run. I don't believe this is the right decision but, I can't criticize it because it hasn't been made yet, LOL.

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Playing for the team you grew up rooting for doesn't always guarantee a Cinderella ending

Andre Rison grew up a Browns fan, signed with them, they moved the next year.

7. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Barkley is the only player I would trade up to get. Make it happen Mac, or show yourself the door. This kid is one of us. We don't get those opportunities very often! Git R done!

8. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I don’t see him dropping to 6, but if he somehow does Jets HAVE to take him. Would be exciting especially if they get Cousins and beef up the line with the $$ they have and 2nd round picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I would suspect you have zero knowledge of NYJ history. U do remember back in the day we drafted another Penn State RB #2 or 3 who turned out to be one of biggest flops ever so I would recommend that we stay as far away of Penn State RBs as we can get :mad:

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

So because Akili Smith was terrible, the Titans messed up taking Marriota?

You're such a troll. Back to ignore .

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Curt Warner, Lenny Moore, Lydell Mitchell ring a bell?..

Blair Thomas had total reconstuctive knee surgery (while playing on natural turf at Happy Valley prior to Giants Stadium astroturf) - there's your big red flag, not PSU.

ColoradoContrails and JetBlue like this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Browns can really set themselves up nicely with Barkley and a franchise QB. They have so many options. We have no way of getting Barkley without giving up too much. It's ok because an impact guy will be there at 6 regardless of which direction we go.

13. ColoradoContrails

You would be wrong. I've followed the Jets probably longer than you, and yes, I remember Blair Thomas, so does that mean the Jets should never draft anyone from Penn State? What is the direct relationship - aside from them both being RBs - that convinces you that Barkley will be a bust like Thomas?

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The game has changed.

The RB position itself hasn't changed but the way it's valued has changed. No way a RB goes #1 overall and even if he's there at #6 the Jets should pass to select a high value position.

Barkley could be every bit as good as the hype I don't doubt it based on what I'm reading about him still it's a passing league now the rules favor the teams that can pass the football.

RBs even the top guys move around all the time. See McCoy see Bell.

The Jets MUST be smart with this #6 pick.

15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If Saquon Barkley was as good or better than your avatar, would you select him at no. 6 overall?

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Barkley is a generational talent. Earlier in the process I thought he might make it to 6, don’t think he makes it to 3 now. If Browns have 2 or 3 QBs rated equally they should take Barkley 1 and whichever of the QBs still standing at 4.

tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

No.

The game has changed.

I love the RB position to me it's one of the most physically demanding positions in all of sports.

RBs are viewed almost as disposable commodities now. Even the top guys get moved. Look at Bell having to play on a year-to-year basis with the franchise tag.

What's the franchise tag # for RBs? What's the # for QBs? Why is OBJ talking about a $25 million per year contract he'll get it too.

RB is not a position worthy of a high draft pick anymore. No matter how good.

18. ColoradoContrails

Yes, it is a passing league, but the teams that can consistently run the ball have the most success passing. And it takes more than a good OL to run the ball well, you need a stud RB. All the best offenses have one. I agree that a QB is more valuable, but if the Jets already have theirs (Cousins) then getting Barkley - even trading up to get him - would be smart. If they don't have their QB, and Rosen Mayfield, Darnold are all gone, Barkley is the next best pick.

tbruner12 likes this.
  19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That really is the key - as long as they would be happy with the #3 QB on their board, whoever that is, I think they absolutely will do exactly what you're suggesting.

ColoradoContrails and Attackett like this.
  20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What U posted was exactly what was written about Blair Thomas :mad: