Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How could the num 1 defense and the num 1 running game in 2009 be overrated.But your saying it was our 23rd ranked passing offense that won us those games.Bring it to 2010 where a Cromartie kick return and a Nick Folk long field goal won us game after defense took a shit on Manning on 3rd downs.Its like eating a stale peice of bread whenever I read a NYJunc post

#741 LongIslandBlitz, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you know SD had the #1 O and #1 D in 2010 and didn't make the playoffs?

rankings give us a gauge, they don't tell us everything. The "#1 D" blew 3 late leads in the reg season then a double digit lead in the title game.

we ran it great in garbage time during the reg season and against some bad teams like Buf and Oak but our run game was nowhere near the best in the league in reality.

Nick Folk hit a chip shot FG to beat Indy thanks to mark and the pass O getting it deep into Indy territory w/ very little time left, yes the KR helped but peyton had a similar spot at home in the '05 playoffs and couldn't get into chip shot range and Indy lost.

3. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I guess the Sanchez fans will really see how the rest of the NFL views Sanchez once he is released. If he is signed as an immediate backup and given a chance to compete to start somewhere, then most of them are right in some aspects. If no team gives him the time of day, then that will be telling and prove all of them wrong.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It's more then sufficient.
    Look at the list of recievers he played with during his starts, there's no consistency there.
    Anyone will tell you this is not the way to bring a rookie QB along, it's common sense.

I think Mark is a fierce competitor and he put the team on his back and forced things when he didn't have the horses to make plays for him.
    I'm not saying he is without fault but the bashing of him and the writing him off as a bust is just unwarranted.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You honestly think no team would give him the time of day? Even if you are a Sanchez hater, you have to realize in the modern day QB deprived/desperate NFL there will be interest. As there will be coaches out that believe they can "fix" him.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's a lot of differences between Geno and the guys you listed. Geno has a cannon, mobility, and very good accuracy for a guy with such an arm. Pennington might be one of the most accurate quarterbacks ever within 10-15 yards, but simply had no deep ball after the surgeries which made him easy to gameplan against. Load up the field within the ten yard frame and he really can't make the downfield throw, with or without play action.

Testaverde was a bit similar to Geno in that he had the strong arm and accuracy. However he had no mobility and really never learned that he couldn't fit the ball into any window. That comes with a ten year veteran as you can't really change that.

You talk about quality quarterback play, but did Sanchez really ever have control of the quarterback position? Was he ever given the ability to read and react at the line of scrimmage? Not at all, and that's not to say Geno will, but he probably has a much better chance given the offensive staff.

There's no question that Sanchez was handcuffed by the coaching staff, but did that come because he should've been handcuffed? With the defense and running game he was originally granted with, along with the targets on the outside, Rex and the offensive staff at the time did what they had to do to win games. This is back when the wildcat was incredibly effective with Brad Smith, so it's really a no-brainer. Don't let the guy make the big turnover and you'll win ballgames.

This team is a lot different, although has similar principles, but much lesser talent on both sides of the ball, including the worst offensive cast in the NFL. Only you have a guy that has proven he can pick up chunk yardage, something that's important for a young quarterback. You can talk about the turnovers and yes they are terrible. You don't just give up on a guy that can throw a 15, 20 yard out on a rope regardless of the shitty footwork. Sanchez didn't make that throw and even if he could, he did not have the confidence to attempt it. That and he was clearly scared of getting hit. There's a difference between a guy who's scared of getting hit and a guy who's scared of getting hit but takes it anyway.

7. nyjunc

Geno has a nice arm, he doesn't have a cannon.

Vinny was actually very mobile before he hurt his Achilles, he wouldn't run like Geno but he could move.

of course Mark was in control, the man called the play to get us to the div rd in 2010.

Sanchez could make all the throws, people act like he had Chad's arm. he has a very good arm, above average.

scared of getting hit? where do you come up w/ this stuff? that man took more big shots than any QB I have seen in years. he was as tough as they come.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He can't take those hits anymore. He folds like a lawn chair.

9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

You site one example, that clearly is the exception to the rule. Give me the #1 D and #1 running game every single year and I guarantee even with barely average QB play this team will make the playoffs.

We get it, this team is dearly going to miss Mark when he's gone and all of his intangibles...

10. nyjunc

Cincy and KC tied 6th in pts scored, 5th in pts allowed- they are both home(though KC it clearly wasn't b/c of the QB)

Den last year was 2nd in pts scored and 4th in pts allowed, they had Peyton
    manning and were one and done.

Atl in 2010 was 5th in both, one and done

NE 2010, 1st and 8th- one and done

In 2008 we had a similar roster w/ a future HOF QB, the easiest sched we have ever had and no Brady to deal with and we still couldn't even make the playoffs.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Where do you come up with this stuff? He could make all the throws but his accuracy suffered severely anything outside of ten yards. He has a good arm, but not the accuracy to go with it down the field.

He was scared of getting hit, thus why he wouldn't step up in the pocket and had happy feet whenever there was more than a three man rush.

12. nyjunc

please do not confuse comp % and decision making w/ accuracy.

he was mobile, he threw well on the run, it had nothing to do w/ happy feet. that man took some of the biggest hits I have ever seen and always bounced right back up w/ no complaints until this preseason. he never made excuses.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Did you see the play he got hurt on in preseason? Big rush moved in the pocket (Pocket presence) and delivered a strike while getting creamed (Pretty tough)

We like to see things through our own bias. With Mark we win two more games this year and make the playoffs.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm not confusing completion percentage with decision making with accuracy. It's not like he'd throw the ball ten feet over their head, but placing the ball in front of the receivers and throwing to the correct shoulder in order for the receiver to get the ball is accuracy. He didn't do it so well and didn't lead receivers well on anything other than a slant.

Bouncing up from hits, has nothing to do with being scared of getting hit. He didn't get hurt, so he got up. It's a subconscious thing that doesn't let the quarterback do things like step up in the pocket. It's not about being a pu**y. He's not immobile, but he certainly doesn't feel pressure very well and when he does, he folds, rather than try to make a play.

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I think he'll be signed to be just a backup to an already proven QB. I cant see a team bringing him in to be "their" guy but you never know. Like you said, there is always someone out there who may try to fix him.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Again, see me previous reply. Are you telling me Gen demonstrated that this season. He had the worst pocket presence I have ever seen from a starting QB in the NFL. His accuracy was well pretty bad.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Geno's arm is good but I don't see this cannon some have mentioned. I thought I was missing something until Mike Westoff expressed similar views on the radio not too long ago. So I now know I'm not crazy. Also Geno is not very accurate. Mobility yes.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

That's pure speculation and a silly thing to say. Did you see the endzone interception against Jacksonville in preseason? Perfect display of poor accuracy.

I agree that Mark would've been the starter this year, but to say he would've won more games with this team is silly. Maybe less turnovers but I'd guess a lot less plays down the field. When you can't throw the ball effectively in that intermediate 10-20 yard range without playaction it makes for much longer drives. Much longer drives, leaves a turnover prone quarterback more apt to make a poor play.

19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

theres an irony there I hope you see.

and I can't stand that logic, Sanchez wasn't so far removed from Smiths play that we can most certainly say he'd help the jets to win more than Geno.

he might have a lost a couple Smith won, or vice versa. who knows how much smiths running game might have been a non factor with Sanchez or if sanchez's targets weren't as dropped as geno's was by Clyde and the like.

but theres no way you can tell me the difference would have been that astronomical. the dudes average at best despite playing well enough to win playoff games some years ago, and even stepping up to the plate at a level a player thats played that well earlier in his career should be able to seems beyond him at this point for whatever reason.

I'll give him all the credit in the world for his two january appearances but he clearly lost a step where the should have gained one since then and we aren't really losing much with him gone. he's not the same player that won those games anymore, its time to let go and stop living in the past with a average at best QB.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Accuracy is about ball placement in stride to receivers. The only thing Geno does is overthrow the receivers on deep balls, but outs, crossing routes, stops, and most anything over the middle the ball is thrown to the correct spot for the receiver to make a play. That's not to say he makes the right read all the time as we've seen on the quick outs. He simply threw into coverage on most of those plays and misread the defense, rather than poorly placed the ball.

Maybe I'm watching things a bit differently and perhaps I'm a bit more biased to Geno Smith because he shows some promise. I just think the guy has shown enough to warrant another shot. I don't get how people don't understand that Marky Mark is done with this franchise. They've moved on. Why keep him around to mess with Geno's progression?

People gave Mark a pass as a rookie quarterback, why doesn't Geno get one? His #1 target for the majority of the season was David Nelson, with 3 rookie offensive starters and a pretty bad pass protecting offensive line. Sanchez was given much better offensive talent in his young career and the results are pretty much the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.