Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

If they are even remotely thinking of resigning him the don't cut him and have $4.8 million accelerate and hit the cap. They try to re-work his deal...$2 mill sign bonus, $500k workout bonus, $1.6 signing bonus....work the salary so he can be cut or traded next season. That is $4.1 million plus his salary as opposed to $4.8 and his salary.

He is 28, has playoff experience, has always been a starter - the only free agent that has been a legit start is Schaub but he is on the wrong side of 30 and fell apart this season with super bowl caliber weapons on offense. No issue with Sanchez competing with Smith - a 2nd round pick that the organization has already said they aren't committing to to start and will look at the QB position. Based on what Jay Cutler just got paid you know Schaub is going to ask for a pretty penny to join a team.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Wasn't the Mark Sanchez sucks thread the biggest thread in forum history? Most fans have already turned on him, he needs a fresh start, somewhere else. It's better for both parties.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
    Most if not all QBs fold under pressure (see Tom Brady); it's the great equalizer. With regards to what your prognostications of Sanchez in the future, I can make the argument can just as easily go the opposite direction from which you are pointing to; no one really knows. Sanchez is among, if not, the youngest of the potential available veteran FAs out there. That means odds of him improving are higher than the others.

"The Jets a reason to put him out there" would be strictly based on performance. Again, the proposition is to bring him back to COMPETE. That's the beauty of it; if he is as broken as you say he is, then he would not play. Rex truly has to win next year; he will not be playing anyone that's not helping that cause. Lastly, his is not about making things comfortable for the fans. It's
    about fielding the best possible team in 2014.

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Even if they prefer bring him back they are still better off cutting him and then resigning him even if on the FA market he would cost more for a one year deal (and I'm assuming any rework would just be a 1 year deal) because it would keep dead money off of the 2015 salary cap.

There really won't be much competition for Sanchez on the FA market, the best offer he'll probably get is at most 4-5 million and more likely 1-3 million as he's a QB with a reputation of being inaccurate and a turnover machine when he's healthy and he's coming off of shoulder surgery which further devalues his worth on the FA market.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Nothing logical makes any sense if that means bring back Sanchez. Don't you understand. You can crunch numbers all you like. If Mark counts $1 against the cap that's one dollar too much.

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Say they bring him back under his contract, he wins the job, and plays well. Now not only do you have the option to re-work his deal longer or trade him and get picks back that can be used to strengthen the should be already improving roster of young players.

7. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

You all have this huge assumption that how the fans feel has any impact whatsoever on the roster of this team. Honestly the though that the amount of pages in some forum has any sway on the roster of an NFL football team is absolutely laughable.

On top of that, if he comes back and wins games you would all be the first ones putting those #6 jerseys back on and chanting his name. It's a business. A business based on winning.

The emotions you guys let impact these decisions is crazy, but, It's a fan thing. Fan, Fanatic, Crazy I get it. But you can't make these statements based on your emotions and then bash people for having logical discussions to the contrary.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^You're right. Fans personal opinions mean nothing when it comes to these decisions. The majority of fans have already turned on Sanchez. It's difficult to come back from that when every move you make on the field is being overly harshly scrutinized and every minor mistake is booed and exploited by the media. It's tough for confidence and it's hard to make a comeback when you hear boos the second you walk into the game. Sanchez could make a comeback and win back the fans, but it would be a very steep mountain to climb as most have made up their minds. Believe me, I supported Sanchez up to around halfway through 2012 and didn't discount the possibility of him tearing it up in the WCO this year before getting hurt. But who knows. I just think Sanchez will have more success elsewhere, and generally you do want a home field advantage. I feel that the fans were louder this year than they have been since the 2011 opener.

#468 Barcs, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  9. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Who do you want, Schaub ?

10. JetsKickAss

Fine....just understand this: every QB who works hard and has some talent shows a big improvement in QB rating and all stats around Years 5-6.....Hell, Phil Simms was BENCHED AS STARTER in Year 5....Alex Smith didn't do S**** until Year 7....journeymen like Jeff Garcia became better-than-average QB's in the last 5-7 years of long careers.

If Sanchez leaves (likely, I agree) and Geno is NOT the answer....chance are, unless we tank and go like 3-13 we are NOT getting any killer QB in the 2015 or 2016 drafts (not even sure there are any good college prospects coming out; they're all coming out this year).

Which means in 2-3 years you could see Sanchez leading another team to the playoffs and we're rebuilding (probably without Rex, with Idzik on Woody's Clock) and probably Petrozza here is limiting the number of "Why Did We Release Sanchez" threads.

For those of you who hate Sanchez or those who just think a fresh break is necessary, I understand your logic. It makes sense. I know.

I just look at games like today with Andy Dalton or Matthew Stafford in December the last 3 years and other QB's stinking it up during the playoffs and/or regular season and I just think that a guy with a 97 QB rating in 6 playoff games....all on the road....has something worth salvaging.

11. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Sanchez folds under pressure, wont take a hit?

The dude takes a beating every game. The last the completion he made, he obviously got rocked. He rolled out, kept his vision up, not fearing The hit and threw a strike before being clobbered in a PRESEASON GAME!
    If he in the preseason risked his body why wouldn't he do that in regular season? The last thing a Jet fan can accuse Sanchez is folding up, he took more than his fair share of shots.

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Or he continues to play as he has his entire career with low accuracy, high turnovers and the Jets are tied with an albatross around their necks by having extended him further.

Very few QB's change their stripes after 4 years in the league as a full time starter, some do of course, but the vast majority never do.

It's like using your first round draft pick in the #1 slot to draft a guy who is rated for the 5th round or lower...yeah it could work out, but the odds are very much against it.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This is the same circle as the Sanchez sucks thread

Look at him in 2010, part of 2011 and the playoffs!
    Look at him the other >50% of his career!
    But he wins in the playoffs!
    But he hasn't helped us get there recently!

Throw in some childish insults, someone posting how Sanchez is the worst QB in the league, someone posting how the Jets would have made the playoffs this year with Sanchez, and a banned poster or two and call it day.

14. JetsKickAss

Totally false...the vast majority of on-and-off QB's taken high -- as opposed to busts like Akili Smith -- improve over time.

15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Depends on what the team does with his contract. They could restructure it but it would still probably be too much against the cap than is feasible. I still think he needs a new team and a new start.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't give undue credit, I give proper credit. I have never said he carried us to 2 title games, I have always said he helped us reach 2 title games. Look at Andy Dalton, perfect example. very good #s guy, can't play when it counts despite having more weapons than Mark ever had.

Pitt "tried" to score but w/ a huge lead like that teams get a little complacent, look at KC the other day. The sense of urgency is different, you are more trying not to lose than trying to win at times. when they needed to make a play what happened?

you foolishly look at #s alone, he only attempted 15 passes b/c we got a double digit lead and were grinding out the game. Remember he was a ROOKIE. He was near flawless in that game, 12-14 and should have been 14-15 w/ another long TD if he didn't have 2 drops. We didn't need to throw more, same thing w/ SD.

Look at Rivers yesterday, he finally won another playoff game b/c he didn't have to throw a million times and wasn't forcing things.

If you think he was awful at SD you don't have any idea what you are watching, not only was he not horrible he was REALLY GOOD but the stat sheet doesn't show it, Andy Dalton passed for 300+ yards yesterday! man was he good!:rofl2:

17. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

No albatross for getting more out of a player for the same amount of money. The only albatross would be everyone who on here said there was no way he would be on the team next year.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Junc if you blame the defense for the loss because they were the "strength of the team" then shouldn't they get majority of the credit for the playoff wins?

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

And also no NFL team is comfortable with a lead. They want to constantly add to the lead. So either way you blame the defense for the loss and you can't even give them credit for playing a part in keeping the Steelers scoreless. But yet the offense skates by with little blame in your eyes.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They do, where have I ever said they didn't?

teams get comfortable w/ leads, coaches get conservative, when Pitt needed to get 2 first downs to end it what happened?

The D blew BOTH title games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.