Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Let me ask this question: If Mark gets released then re-signs with the Jets to a 1 year, $3 million deal, would you accept Mark back to compete with Geno? (as a fan I mean)

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That's the topic at hand and the haters still say no, which from a strictly football perspective makes no sense.

3. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

What did you think of the very first play of the 2011 season?

4. The Dark Knight

Yeah, tried to get it back on topic with the question. The answer should be yes. Really the best case scenario is Mark, Geno, or some other QB just plays well. That is what we all need.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The question I have is: how many chances are you going to give Mark already. He's had 61 starts. No one has had this kind of chance to perform so poorly. Guys have one bad start and that's the end of their NFL career. Ask McElroy whose barely hanging on and it's doubtful he'll start another NFL game. i'm not a hater. But Mark has to go.

#445 pclfan, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  6. legler82

Think of it from Idzik's perspective. "[H]ow many chances" really has nothing to do with the decision. All signs point to Idzik planning on having veteran competition for Geno. EVERY available candidate will have a body of work which will includetheir number of starts: Michael Vick 108 (58-48-1), Matt Cassel 68 (32-36), Chad Henne 50 (18-32), Josh Freeman 60 (24-36), Josh McCown 38 (16-22) Shaun Hill 26 (13-13) and so on and so on. He needs to decide which available candidate is the best fit. There will be no locker room celebrations next year if we finish 8-8 and no playoff again. This team will be expected to win and make the playoffs. If anything, Mark's 62 starts (33-29) and playoff experience is a positive in this setting. If you think some other veteran FA is a better fit, then fine all that other stuff is really just emotion.

Also, comparing the 5th overall pick to a 7th rounder is kind of silly. This is not pee wee football where everyone gets a fair shake. Of course, a you trade up for will get a ton more opportunities than a guy that was a round away from not getting drafted.

7. CreedBratton

CreedBratton New Member

It is just best for both parties to move on at this point. It's as simple as that

8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

No. The Jets need to start fresh and move on from him. Ryan has also showed an abnormal loyalty to him (and weird tattoo issues). I think Geno showed a lot of development and promise late in the year. Let Geno earn the spot with a solid veteran to back him up, compete, and even fill in if Geno can't get it done. Been there, done that with Sanchez. He's reached the Richard Todd tolerance level with fans. I think a weight will be lifted off the franchise the day they cut him.

9. HQ1

HQ1 Banned

Only loser jet fans would want Rex and Mark back. Move on already.

And you wonder why no one takes you serious. LOL You guys are so funny thinking 8 wins when 2 of them were bs, actually means something.

10. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Maybe some role playing will help;

For one minute, instead of you guys acting like Mark Sanchez is an Ex-GF, pretend like you run a huge multi-million dollar company.

Mark Sanchez is an employee that at, one point or another, many people thought had what it takes to be one of the best workers in that company. He underperforms, and then you for no reason at all, without request, gave a 5 year advance on his pay check ( which was inexplicably high due to bad management, rookie wage scale ect, ect ). Now 4 years into the deal, you tell this guy he's not going to get it done like you thought. You bring in a younger, fresher option to fill his position. You've already paid him for 5 years, and all of the money you paid him up front you can't get back. You have to give him years worth of pay checks without doing a single thing.

Instead of taking his money and walking away from the situation, he offers to pay you back a portion of the money that you've already paid him up front, and all he asks for in return is a shot to come back and compete against the younger guy to see if he can help the company more then the other person.

You can honestly tell me that you see that as a bad thing and not an opportunity that's even worth exploring?

11. The Dark Knight

Good explanation. I doubt fans look at it that way though, but it is true.

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Good argument except for one point....Sanchez can't give back any money he's earned...the CBA wouldn't allow it, the NFL wouldn't allow it and the Players union wouldn't allow it....I guess you could do it under the table, but it would get caught eventually and cost draft picks and fines.

13. Ajitator

The money given back would be the "guaranteed" money we owe him from his current contract this coming year.

If he restructures to a cheaper deal it would be essentially giving it back.

14. 1968jetsfan

Can't give up guaranteed money, and even if he could there is almost no guaranteed money left on the contract to give up.

As far as I know all players who have ever "given up" guaranteed money in a year had the guaranteed money spread out over more years, and often for more guaranteed money.

15. 1968jetsfan

I just double checked, there is 0 guaranteed money on Sanchez's contract. The only thing "guaranteed" is money that has already been physically paid out and is in the form of pro-rated bonus monies that were paid early in the contract but the CBA allows the cost to be spread on the cap over several years.

Translation, there is no money savings, you can not renegotiate pro-rated bonus money.

16. Ajitator

I'm just going with what the overthecap article said about it.. I don't know a lot about how exactly it works out. They made it seem entirely do'able in some way. You can read the little part about Sanchez in the posts previous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It makes a lot of sense.

If there was a reasonable chance that Sanchez would suddenly become a good NFL QB then it would make sense to keep him.

Here's what he has to fix in order for that to become possible:

1. He has to be more accurate. No starting NFL QB has been less accurate than Mark Sanchez over the period he started for the Jets from 2009 to 2012. He was inaccurate his first two years with a fair amount of receiving talent around him and enough time to throw and he was inaccurate the latter two years with not enough receiving talent and not enough time to throw.

The only constant in all of that was the QB. The QB was just not accurate enough.

2. He has to be able to play under pressure without folding like an accordion and throwing the ball to a defensive lineman for an easy pick. He mostly did this the first two years with a solid offensive line and a good run game to keep the defense honest. He could not do this the latter two years when the personnel was just not that good.

If you want to be an NFL QB you have to be able to keep it together under pressure and Sanchez was not able to do that from mid-season 2011 onwards. There's no reason to believe he'll be able to do it now the first time a rusher gets away up the middle or around the left side and comes for him. He'll likely fold as he has done for the last two seasons he played.

It'd be nice to think he could put away the mental image of what the hit is going to be like and function anyway but we all know that isn't how it works in the NFL. Once it's broke you don't get it back and for Sanchez it's broke.

3. He has to give the Jets a reason to put him out there. He hasn't been more than a game manager in his 4 seasons with the Jets so far. Their attempt to break him out of that mode in 2011 was a failure for many reasons, one of which was that Sanchez just wasn't good enough to make it work. He had 64 dropbacks in a game in which the Jets scored 14 points. The two scoring drives started at the Jets 47 and the Giants 11. I kid you not.

There's just no compelling reason for the Jets to put Mark Sanchez out on the field at this point. He's played out here. Somebody else may well revive him but they'll do it with a fresh start where the frustration levels aren't so high all around.

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

19. 1968jetsfan

Right, over the cap.com has the breakdown of deadmoney if cut at 4.8 million, all of that from the prorated bonus that was paid early in the contract but through accounting methods of the CBA is spread over either 4 or 5 years, I forget which, or over the total length of the contract if the contract is fewer than the aforementioned time.

In sanchez's case that prorated bonus is 1.6 million in 2014, 1.6 million in 2015, 1.6 million in 2016. Now there is an accounting trick they can do by renegotiating but it involves accelerating some bonuses and then re-prorating the contract over time, in other words extending the time that Sanchez has a negative cap hit should he be cut.

Overthecap actually shoots down any reason for the jets to renegotiate Sanchez's contract by stating that any QB on the market as a backup is only going to get maybe 4 million but they build a "Case" for paying Sanchez 7 million. By Renegotiating now 2/3's of the pro-rated bonus would count against the 2014 salary cap with the other 1/3 I think counting as dead money in 2015, it gets a little confusing on that point.

The only way to truly sign Sanchez to a 1 year deal where he doesn't count against cap in future years is to cut him and resign him.

It makes sense to do that from the Jets perspective regarding salary cap and it makes sense for Sanchez because it gives him a chance to see if there's a better opportunity out there. Though from a strictly financial point of view Sanchez would want to renegotiate because he's guaranteed to get more money by doing that than he would be if he were cut and then signed with any other team, including the Jets.

For the Jets the best option is to cut him and then make him an offer.

20. legler82

I believe the Overthecap.com article was from the perspective that the Jets would have already determined that they specifically wanted to bring Sanchez back as the veteran competition. So they would want him to take a pay cut while at the same time not want to risk letting him hit the open market. Force his hand so that they can have their cake and eat it too. Your analysis, which I think is excellent :up:, is coming from the perspective that the Jets would be indifferent about bringing him back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.