Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think there might be more of an innate fear by Sanchez haters that Mark "...might end up being good or great" not in a new environment but for the Jets. If it happens elsewhere they can all easily save face by citing the overused and convenient "change of scenery" argument. However, if it happens in a Jets uniform, there wouldn't enough eggs in the world to cover their faces. How else can you explain the nonsensical arguments against not bringing him back at a low cap number just to compete?

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Just wondering why Mark. There are many other vet Qbs on the market. As far as egg on the face I don't really care. If Mark plays well more power to him. I'm not against him succeeding. But to me the Jets have to go in another direction. He's gone backwards and it's time for him to go somewhere else.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that Mark got injured in that pre-season game. I don't blame Rex at all for it. Because what's wrong with putting Mark late in an exhibition game esp one that Geno was having big problems in. Isn't that what pre-season is all about. To see what you can do in a game situation. And why is it not ok for Mark to play with the second stringers yet it's ok for Geno and Simms. Mark was not winning the starters job in pre-season. He played well in spurts but what did we see: a pick 6 and a red zone turnover in his limited action. These are not little hiccups but major problems for a fifth year Qb. Is that learning from your mistakes. And you guys want more of the same. Not me.

4. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Basically because you can give me a list of QBs that will be available and you can find something wrong with just about all of them.

If Mark Restructures:
    Mark has said he wants to be here which means we might have more leverage in deciding how much money he gets. He may be more willing to take a "hometown discount". He is also familiar with the system and the coaches, Which means He and Geno go into preseason at the same level, As opposed to someone coming in to learn the system that we would see growing pains out of. We then know at the end of camp if either guy can get it done and we didn't have to break the bank to figure it out. Not only that but Sanchez will be MUCH more tradable with a <2$mil pricetag then with a 8$mil.
    Worst Case: Geno and Sanchez tank, we groom a couple rookie WR / Skill position guys from the draft and go for a "franchise QB" in the 15' draft.
    Best case, Sanchez or Geno take off and one or the other becomes our guy, We also have the other tied up for cheap for at least 3 years. We get more playmakers around both of them and we have a pretty competent backup and are set at QB for a while

If we bring in someone new:
    They're someone else's throw away. They're going to want more money, or something guaranteed. We have little to no leverage. They're going to want ( and feel they deserve ) an immediate shot at the starting job without having a 'competition' montra thrown on everything. Depending on who that is it could be a locker room issue, Sanchez has always said "the right thing" in these types of situations outside of the interview mid year. They not going to know the system as well as Geno, Which means Geno comes into camp with a leg up on whoever it may be.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Just curious can anyone remember the last time a veteran FA QB lead his to the playoffs? I can't seem to think of an example off the top of my head.

6. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Kurt Warner
    Brett Favre
    Peyton Manning

I guess you need a HoF worthy QB but Carson Palmer almost did it twice in the last three years and could next year (although I guess that's a trade both time and not a FA, same with Cutler who took CHI to the NFCC in 2010). Oh and Michael Vick did in 2010.

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm surprised anybody can claim Sanchez obviously won the QB competition. Both QBs were having up and down moments and whomever was leading had a pretty small margin. The only obvious thing to me is that Sanchez would not have been out there if he had the starting QB job locked up.

8. HQ1

HQ1 Banned

Wow. Just Wow.

First Mark wants to stay here because he knows this is the only place that he'll have a chance at starting. You literally make zero sense. You don't want a "throw away", but you want Mark LOL?!? Really?

And Mark doesn't know any system as he's proved over and over again! Let me guess he showed the smallest sample of decent play like Dee so that gives you hope next year?

The guy is terrible. Seriously the only QB worse is Blaine fockin Gabbert! That should tell you something! But no lets keep Mark around so the jets can have the 2 worst QBs out there.

I'm sorry but this fan base is just fokin crazy. Many want Rex back even though he helped fill this roster with bad players. And don't give me that "he's not the gm" bs. He is completely inept at anything besides defense and even his defense isnt that good. Bad game management and clock management. Stays with bad players way too long. Over and over again! His forkin players quit on him last year and the year before that.

Some fans actually want Holmes back. Even though you were told years ago he's not and never will be a number 1 and Pitt literally gave him away.

Some fans actually want Mark back LOL?!? WTF is wrong with you people? The guy has proven he's terrible. Literally the worst QB in the game! And the ones that don't want him back because they think Geno can play.

Oh my. Tears!
    You can not make this up!

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

the Jets will not restructure Sanchez. The only way you can restructure a contract is by adding years and guaranteed money in exchange for a more salary cap friendly contract for one or more years. The Jets won't do that.

What will happen is the Jets will cut him before the 2 million roster bonus on March 1st (there is a small chance for humanitarian reasons they may keep him so he can earn the roster bonus, but it's a small chance.)

From there the Jets Might resign him, or he might sign with another team. Cutting him erases his current contract, there is no renegotiations, there are no extensions of guaranteed monies. This is the best course of action for both Mark and the Jets. It allows Mark to see what other offers and positions are out there, and it allows the Jets to sign a veteran QB at a reasonable contract, regardless of if that QB is Sanchez or another QB on the market.

10. Ajitator

Year One? - Manning, Warner, Brees, Favre, and now Alex Smith?

Those are the ones I can think off the top of my head.

Thank you for your opinion.

I'm not 100% familiar with contract negotiations in the NFL so I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure overthecap.com knows what they're talking about and the article they posted yesterday says that the Jets might actually be able to save money by restructuring Sanchez to a deal around $2mil and both parties would make out similar to if they cut him outright. It's a no brainer to me that the Jets would at least attempt something like this, and Sanchez is likely to accept because it's actually higher then his market value would be right now I believe. It's a win win win. I'm not sure why people are against this.

Here's the article excerpt, so you don't have to go back.

#410 Ajitator, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  11. HQ1

HQ1 Banned

Just about to say Vick.

I think Brees did as well.

Alex Smith.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Vinny to the Jets worked out well.

13. Ajitator

Welcome, Glad you joined us.
    It's a pretty polarizing topic, but with recent post from overthecap people that were on the fence are ok with bringing him back if it will cost us the same as cutting him.

But, You can start here, Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Me neither. I have nothing against the guy. I'm not rooting against him. If they keep him and he outright beats out Geno and then go on to have a 35 TD, 3000+ yards, 60% completion season with the Jets winning the division and a SB victory. I'd be thrilled and I'd gladly eat crow. But based on what I've seen from Sanchez throughout his career he's awful and he's nothing more than a backup. There's no shame in that.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think the market for Mark is in the 2 mil per area with incentives. He's not getting 4 at the most 3 and not guaranteed. He does deserve the incentives which I would say should be based on games played, winning starts, turnover ratio. I hope Idzik doesn't make him an offer and he's a part of our Qb room next season. Not that I'm afraid of him legitimately winning the starting qb job and playing well. Believe me I have no fear like some of you do that cutting Mark who is only 27 could be a big mistake under the illusion that his best football is yet to come. You can't run an organization like that. If you do you'll find yourself with a losing record for ten years. Mark had his chance and failed big time. If he goes to Minny or Oakland and is great ok. But I just don't think so.

16. MizzouJet

MizzouJet Well-Known Member

Don't the Jets owe him a roster bonus in March? Thought I read that?

If so, we'll know Mark's fate pretty early.

I'd keep Mark on as a backup provided he took a HUGE pay cut that was advantageous to the NYJ cap situation. He's been here a year with MM, the Jets know the status of his repaired shoulder, and when you're talking about 'signing' a vet from another team, they ain't appreciably better than Mark anyway.

17. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Welcome!
    I'm sure you'll enjoy reading through the 17,641 posts in the Sanchez Sucks thread... ;)

And yes, pick a side!
    • In one corner you have Sanchez haters, who can't stand seeing him play for the Jets ever again.
    • In the other corner you have Sanchez lovers, who shout blasphemy the second the haters say something that they deem explainable/excusable and find that Mark has been a pretty darn good player for us overall.
    Most of us are in the middle, with a belief that Mark's chances here has come to an end and that that is ok. Even though the Sanchez lovers usually quickly shuffles us into being haters since we can't accept how "salvageable Mark really is".

Then just repeat.
    Forever.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Everyone keeps saying mark regressed and he is washed up -- but he progressed from 2009-2011. He was moving in the right direction as a young QB learning how to be more of a passer and less of a manager. He was able to do that with non stop moving parts on offense - running backs, receivers, offensive line. In 2012 you can say Sanchez took a step back but you have to look at the team and the coaching. Who was playing receivers, running back, tight end, offensive line, calling the plays. To give up on a guy that put together a 32 TD season in 2011, is only 27, has 6 playoff games and 4 playoff wins under his belt, and can be brought back with some smart work with his contract just doesn't make sense.
    I know people like to discount his 26 TD passes with well he turned the ball over, well look who he did it against, oh he had tom moore coaching the red zone, his yards per attempt were low - and so on, but he was 9th in the league in passing TDs with Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes as his #1 and #2. The team blew it with Cotchery/Mason and took away one of the most stable and consistent receivers they had.

19. MizzouJet

MizzouJet Well-Known Member

Ahhh....whatever...but I should've added that you NEED a backup, and Sanchez would be a better backup than Matt Simms..at like $2 mill/yr. Throw in some incentives...whatever.

Then draft another QB and see what happens in TC.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Did Penny lead to Fish to the playoffs his first year there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.