Are you comfortable with our WRs?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JETS1116, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Do you have faith in our WRs this year?

1. Holmes, Hill and Kerley are good enough

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. We need some help

41 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I'm comfortable for 2013 as long as we re-sign Edwards.

2. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Holmes is not coming back next year.

1 - Hill
    2 - Kerley
    3 - 2014 rookie
    4 - JAG

That looks like a disaster. Rookie WR are rarely productive (even if they turn out to be very good players down the road). Can't wait till next year to add WR to a depleted core.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Exactly.

Receivers usually take three years to really come into their own. The Jets already made a mistake in anointing Hill a #2 without him doing a damn thing to prove he was ready.

The Jets are going to be relying on stop gaps until their young guys can breakthrough. Its more reason to get the receiver now rather than later.

4. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll ever be a big time #1, but I think Holmes, Hill and Kerley are more than serviceable this year, a year which we have many holes elsewhere and the draft is deep in WR talent. We can address it in rounds 5-7.

I also think Holmes would be a consistent 1,200+ yard receiver if he didnt' leave Pitt. You can't tell me that Sanchez, Schottenheimer, Sparano, Plax, Mason and Hill didn't hurt his statistics over the last few years.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why wasn't he a consistent 1200 yard receiver in Pitt then? He wasn't, but you think he would be if he stayed?

Sounds like you're projecting hope.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

This. Jets need more playmakers. Would have no issue if that came at receiver.

Next year, we will need a receiver for sure with Holmes probably gone. I'd be fine taking a receiver, so by next season, we have weapons with a little NFL experience under their belts with whoever the new QB is.

7. xxedge72x

I'd even be ok with taking a WR in rounds 1 and 2 if they really want to go crazy. Somehow I don't expect it will happen but that's really the depth of the Jets need.

8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Yes, we need to bring back Braylon On a 1 year deal and draft a WR by round 4, Guys I like

Woods
    Hopkins
    Stills
    Hunter

#28 RochesterJet, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

for this year, yes i am comfortable enough with our WRs. Looking forward to next year, no, not at all.

WR is a position that typically takes a year (minimum) for a rookie to get comfortable. It is important to draft one this year with the hopes he can contribute in 2014

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That would be crazy and I would absolutely be against that. Too many needs for 2 receivers that high. Have to give Hill a chance to develop, plus Kerley still fits into long-term plans.

11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I'd draft a WR..........but one who can do PR/KR so he's still able to contribute from the get go on special teams, while trying to learn everything as a WR.

12. xxedge72x

WR and CB are two groups where having several good players is better than having one great player. If the Jets are serious about revamping the passing game, then what the Jets have isn't going to cut it. One WR is putting the eggs in one basket. Two WRs turns around our receiving corps.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yes, but you don't have to do it in the first 2 rounds. You can draft a guy high and another guy late. Very deep receiver draft. Plus, you drafted a guy in the 2nd round last season that was raw when he came back.

Not to mention, we have needs at OLB, OG, S, QB, RB, TE, ILB and CB we should also look at...

14. xxedge72x

Absolutely agree about the needs however many of those needs will continue to exist no matter who the Jets pick... as hinted by Idzik the best players should come off the board period.

If Austin is the most talented guy available at 13, you've gota take him. If you take him, and then the most talented guy available in Rd 2 is Robert Woods, you have to take him as well.

I'm not saying they SHOULD go this route, but if they are the best then don't think twice about doing it.

The fact that the Jets have Mornhinweg here now leads me to believe they're going to put a new emphasis on passing that the Jets haven't really had since Rex took over. Going into next season, the Jets don't know about Holmes health, they don't know if Hill is going to be ready to step up yet, Kerley will never be more than a 3, and Cumberland is the top tight end on the roster currently... the receiving group is a complete and utter mess right now. It wouldn't be a mistake to continue to infuse talent into the group and let nature take its course despite drafting Hill last year.

Also keep in mind that Hill was drafted because he was a deep threat that could run block. We have no idea if his style of game will translate to the new system, considering how much he struggled in the system that he was meant for.

#34 xxedge72x, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  15. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

The question is about WR this year, and this year is inconsequential.

We're not going anywhere this year and will be lucky to get 5 wins.

WR is the only position we're not completely devoid of talent, this is the only position (pre-draft) I even feel remotely
    comfortable with going into 2013.

Stephen Hill was selected 43rd overall last year, he is one of the most athletically gifted WR's in the entire NFL.
    Before we invest a 1st round pick at WR we have to see where he is in his progression. He has the physical
    potential to be elite, we need to see if he's put it together before we move.

16. xxedge72x

Hill is extremely raw and will likely take years to really be ready to be an every down starter, if ever. If the Jets enter a state of constant coaching turnover, I wouldn't be shocked to see him flame out entirely. I don't think he was a particularly smart draft pick to begin with, especially considering what they gave up to get him.

17. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

The Jets need playmakers on offense and Austin is a playmaker. Unless Dion is available at 9 (or one of the tackles) then I say take Austin at 9 and a pass rusher at 13. I don't think Holmes was ever a true #1 except when his contract was up and he was playing for the big contract. Once he got it his play became mediocre. Draft Austin and trade for Ivory (no higher than a 5th though) and we might actually have some weapons on offense this year.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Don't feel comfortable with our WRs but am more uncomfortable with the other positions.

19. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Don't think I can justify picking any WR in the first few rounds outside of Austin. If we went with any traditional tall WR it would be to essentially put Hill on the bench which is pretty ridiculous since he was an early 2nd last year with a lot of upside (although he still has bust potential) who desperately needs to get more experience through playing time. Plus a rookie isn't going to come in and get a huge bump in production over any of those 3 receivers next year to begin with. Meanwhile we have a desperate need at TE and would get a way bigger benefit using a WR pick on that instead.

It's a perfect situation to get production out of Holmes this year, cut him next year saving a huge amount of salary then evaluate whether Hill will most likely develop into a 1 or 2 before drafting the needed replacement in 2014. I only think Austin might be an exception because he could be our most productive receiver from day one and he could entirely change the dynamic of our offense long term as a more athletic version of what Welker did years ago.

Still if we do take Austin we'll sorely miss that top pick that could've been used on a good player at a position of immediate need. If Austin doesn't end up becoming the focal point of the offense the team will live to regret it so there has to be a lot of confidence in him if he's the pick.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I think the only receiver we draft that pushes one of our current players to the bench is Austin.

Holmes is gone after this season. After this year, we'll have Hill, Kerley and a bunch of question marks. Of course, Hill is a question mark himself at this point.

Would it push Hill to the bench this year? Maybe. It also could mean Holmes didn't return from injury fast enough, or the rookie plays like a rookie. It would be competition, and it would help our offense. That's why I wouldn't be mad with a receiver.

But I think we have more pressing needs than to take TWO of them high, particularly if neither one is Tavon Austin.