Are you comfortable with our WRs?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JETS1116, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Do you have faith in our WRs this year?

1. Holmes, Hill and Kerley are good enough

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. We need some help

41 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Santonio Holmes
    Stephen Hill
    Jeremy Kerley

I've got to admit, I don't see the real need to draft a WR in the early rounds of this draft, unless its great value.

Holmes had 16 grabs for 243 yards and a TD in the first 3 games before he got himself injured. This projects out to 85 catches for 1,296 yards and 5 TDs. Hoping he's somewhat the same after the injury, I have faith in his ability to do even better with a more experienced Hill and Kerley taking the pressure off of Holmes, and now that we have a WCO.

Hill should definitely be much improved in year 2. I see him following Demaryius Thomas' development and going for about 600 yards this season before a breakout year 3.

Kerley had 56 catches for 827 yards. Not bad for our #3 option.

I'm curious how fans here view our wide receivers...

2. NFL

NFL Active Member

I'm fine with the group for now, but if we could grab DeAndre Hopkins late first or early second for Holmes' replacement, I'd be stoked.

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Kerley and Hill have flashed potential, we just need Holmes' replacement for the future but that can wait

Holmes just needs someone to get him the damn ball

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

We need a WR whether it be this year or next year. As it has been reported, Holmes is likely going to be cut in 2014, so we will have an immediate hole there. Wouldnt you finally like the team to fill a hole before it even opens up? You know, like the way great franchises do? The Packers lost Greg Jennings, but they had draft Randall Cobb 2 years before hand and probably wont miss a beat. The Steelers do it every year with their defensive line.

Holmes is coming off a big injury, is nothing more than a #2 at his best and will only be on the team for 1 year. Kerley is solid, but will never be a #1 and has limited upside. Hill has all the upside in the world, but has shown almost nothing so far- oft-injured, brick hands and route running ability of a high-schooler. He needs to come a long way to say the least.

Also, this offense needs a PLAYMAKER. No one is ever going to strike fear in a defense. This team needs a playmaker, and if it can be from the WR position, all the better. Tavon Austin should have huge consideration at 9 or 13.

5. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

We need a WR at some stage in the future but we need someone to throw to him first!!!

We have a lot more needs than WR and QB in this draft and I think we would be better off filling them first. This team needs more than one draft to fill all our holes.

6. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Going into next year? I'm not too concerned, although expecting Holmes to play like a competent 1 and Hill to play like a competent 2 isn't the best case scenario.

That being said, I'm petrified for when we cut Holmes after 2014, and our WRs are:

1. Stephen Hill
    2. Jeremy Kerley
    3. ???
    4. ?????????

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

If they feel they can grab a solid replacement for Holmes departure after '13 (Austin?), then you have to pull the trigger.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Nothing about that list says we're good at WR to me. Holmes is our best wr ... he's coming off major injury and is a very good #2 at best when healthy. Kerley is a good receiver, not great. Hill hasn't proven anything yet.

In short, there's no evidence we have a #1 quality WR on the roster.

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

We need someday else.

Homes should do decently, Kerley is stable, Hill will get better, but a new guy would be appreciated.

Austin seems perfect, but he might well be good bait to trade down with.

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I said yes.

Although if we could get Patterson or Hopkins in the second or if we
    trade down I'd be ok with that, but I think we're in greater need of a TE.

11. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Everyone is talking about the wrong West Virginia receiver

I enough faith in the receivers we have to no waist a first rounder on one when we can probably get the better WV receiver in Steadman Bailey in the 3rd

I think is one of the best receivers in the draft and havent heard anyone say anything about him

A wr core of Hill, Bailey and Kerley in the slot is great for Teddy Bridgewater next year

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

The questions asks for this year and, yeah, for this year they are good enough. I wouldn't say don't draft a single WR but I wouldn't use our first few picks on them, maybe like a 5th or 6th project guy or something. Might get a serviceable UDFA or something as well.

If you're talking about next year as well then, yeah, I would say we're going to need help next year, especially if (when?) we cut Holmes. But we have lots of time to figure that out. Hell, maybe Holmes will have a career year and we won't want to cut him...what? It's possible.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They need to break in at least one new receiver as Holmes will be gone next year. Gone or playing for considerably less than 10.7 mil he is scheduled to make..like the vet minimum.

14. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I don't get why people say Holmes isn't a #1. The guy was on pace for 1,300 yards last year, with terrible QB, an injured TE, and a raw/rookie WR starting opposite of him. In 2011, he always faced a double team as Plax and Mason couldn't get a yard of separation, and Kerley was a rookie. He still managed 700 yards, and yes, I do get that #1 WRs need to beat double coverage.

In 2010, he would have had 1,000 yards if he didn't have the suspension. This is all with Sanchez at QB. Holmes had 1,200+ yards in 2009 with Big Ben, and now he's a more experienced WR and is still on the right side of 30. His injury doesn't really scare as doctors seem to perform great surgeries these days.

Rambling, that's my 2 cents on Holmes. I do think he's a cancer and don't want him re-signed past next year and can't believe he threw the ball on the ground in the 49ers game.

15. Jets need offensive play makers regardless of position. Hill/Kerley is a decent start & Holmes is no slouch.

16. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

It's really questionable. Does Holmes come back to himself? Does Hill take a big step forward, and meet expectations? Does Kerley play at least as well as last year? These are big question marks for the WR group.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Projecting a players stats from 3 or 4 games over the course of a season is simply ridiculous. Holmes has had ONE season in his 7 year career with over 1000 receiving yards and has never eclipsed 80 receptions in a season. He's only had more than 60 receptions once.

If you think he's suddenly going to become a big time #1 receiver coming off liz franc injury in his 8th season I have no idea why.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets need a young and talented WR around the same time that they get a new QB. Our current group won't cut it long term.

19. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I don't understand the "we need a qb 1st" argument. Regardless of whether we get a franchise qb next year or never - we have to line up somebody at the position. And the more weapons in place the better chance that player has regardless of whether that qb is a game manager or a franchise qb.

We need a wr going forward and the depth in this years draft seems to suit that need. If we draft a wr I will not be mad in the least.

20. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

its not that are receiving unit is weak but that adding someone like Austin can make it a strength. Someone with his skill set that can score anytime he touches the ball is something we so desperately need. Also Holmes will most likely be gone next season. If we dont take austin i still think there is great value in rounds 2-4 or 5 and we should take one. If we are going to have sanchez as are starter we need to surround him with playmakers.