Are we drafting a corner or going with what we have? And if so, when draft him?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I would not have a huge problem with starting Miller and Barrett next season, and having Strait and Washington there to go in as extra DBs. If we do draft a corner, I don't see any point in taking him late because that reduces the chances of him becoming one of the better starting corners in the league, and discussion on this site seems to be suggesting we need a starter. There are some good guys at corner, probably 6-8 that can compete to start in their first couple seasons, but alot of them at 5'10 and under. The one guy who I picked out is named Johnathan Joseph from South Carolina. He will probably be around in the second or third round and is 5'11, and he ran a 4.31 at the combine. Not tall but not shirt, and really fast. I don't know if we want to use the 2nd rounder on him but if he is around in the third I say grab him. Daniel Manning from Texas Christian is also an interesting prospect, he's almost 5'11 and ran a 4.46 at the combine which isn't amazing but I guess his technique is great. He will almost certainly be there in the third round...

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i've discussed this many times.

i think we're drafting a CB for depth, not starting. If either Barrett, Miller, or Strait goes down, we'll need someone who can step in and play without a significant drop-off.

having said that, i wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a R3 or R4 workout-warrior that Mangini likes based on athleticism, potential, and most importantly, knowledge. Mangini won't be working with the DB's all that much (compared to his previous jobs), but he'll still be able to teach them.

cheers

3. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I think they are going to draft a corner, very likely a first day one. They need more depth at CB, and the rumors of drafting one early makes me believe that they aren't sold on Barrett as a long term answer at CB.

4. vilmaisabeast

vilmaisabeast New Member

I think they are gonna go with either Tackle at 4 and a DE/OLB at 29 or Mario at 4 and tackle at 29 so they might choose to get a corner at pick 35

5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Yeah but how early are these rumours talking about , like round 2 or 3...or at #29??

6. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

barrett sucks and we all know it, i really hope they sign dyson

7. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

why waste an early draft pick on a CB... lets just get dyson

8. Tight

Tight Active Member

cromartie in round 2 doesnt sound so bad. well get o line later on

#8 Tight, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  9. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

If we trade down from #4 to #7-10, we should get another 2nd round pick in the top 40. This is the only way I would take a CB before our 3rd round pick. We need some future trenchman on both sides of the ball and/or a pass rusher very badly.

One of
    Antonio Cromartie, FSU
    Ashton Youboty, OSU
    Jonathan Joseph, South Carolina
    Richard Marshall, Fresno St.
    Kelly Jennings, U Miami

Will be on the board at that spot and are all top talents. Michael Huff and Tye Hill will be gone for sure. Youboty and Joseph might be taken as well, but there is nothign wrong with Marshall or Jennings at something like pick #38.

#9 JetsFan7817, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006