Are the JETS to trade Kyle Wilson & If so, what is the trade value and positive or negative impacts?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by deeznuts21, Apr 10, 2014.

?

In your opinion when/how would the JETS get more value out of Kyle Wilson?

1. Trade him before the draft.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Trade him during the draft.

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  3. Trade him after the draft.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Is this really a major thread? He doesn't even start. What do you expect to get?

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Show me proof that he was drafted as a slot corner? Guy was drafted to replace Cro.. That was the plan.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Holmes was a 1 yr contract too. I guess he was a 1 yr rental right?

Its such a bs argument. All speculation on your part.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

WTF are you talking about man, they both hit free agency. How were they not a one year rental?

5. 101GangGreen101

What you are saying is that because they are on a 1 year deal, they aren't in the Jets future plans. I found that to be untrue. You don't give up a 2nd round pick for a guy that is not in the future plans, I don't buy that. I think the Jets liked Wilson's versatility out of the draft, we've seen him play outside cb, inside cb, and snaps at safety. Sure I don't think he lived up to the billing of a first round pick - but I believe Rex had a different plan for Wilson and it didn't involve him replacing Cromartie after one rookie season.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Thank you, Nev. Going back to Friday afternoon on this thread with all that misinformation from you know who, someone finally recalls what actually happened, along with the element LIBlitz noted. The leverage on the Revis contract was a big factor, with his situation a real concern. Point 3 was probably a factor, but I think it was more the contractual situation with Revis. It was Wilson's failure to live up to the expectation he would start that led to the new contract for Cromartie the next year.

Obiously the Jets themselves handled the roster in a manner that reflected disappointment in his performance. He plays the slot because he showed he could not keep track of the ball with his back to the Qb, not because the Jets intended to play him in the slot all along.

7. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

im ok with wilsons role... if impossable to hit on every pick in the draft.. he was a late 1st rd pick.. if we traded back and picked him in the 2nd i think everyone would be happy

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Why would we trade Wilson when we need corners? Is it because he was drafted in the first round and he is not first round talent? Who gives a shit at this point pay him for what he is and move on. He is a good solid player

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea but at the time Cro was new to the team and we traded a third round pick for him I belive.So he wasn't just a 1 year rental we invested in Cro,you don't trade a third round pick for a guy who is gonna be replaced right away .And the Cro trade was one of MR Ts better moves in my eyes,I'm still mad we let him walk I really don't get it one really bad year?and 3 solid years doesn't justify us letting him walk ,The guy was capable of playing at a high level we saw it the year before when he made the Pro Bowl,when you consider the price Arizona paid for him its a shame we didn't match the offer

10. nevbeats319

cro had a lot of issues with the chargers.. other wise he wouldn't have been traded so it was a 1 year prove it thing.also do you not remember them trying hard to get nhamdi? if wilson played good his rookie year or nhamdi signing with us we would never have resigned cro in 2011…and also they traded a 3rd and a 5th for braylon.. he was only on the team for a 2nd year because the cba agreement forced players with 5 years or less to not be able to become a UFA…other wise he would have walked after we traded for holmes…..

it wasn't a good way to build the team but the 2010 jets were all in for a Super Bowl run… i hear what your saying tho… normally when a player gets traded a extension is part of it if the teams really wants the player in the fold for more then a year….

11. 101GangGreen101

Yes, we traded a 2nd round pick. No organization in their right mind gives up a 2nd round pick for a 1 year rental. Tannebaum wasn't that dumb.

Watch the 2009 AFCCG again, and that will tell you the reason why we wanted 2 new CBs

12. mute

mute Well-Known Member

get rid of this guy like..right noaw!

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're asking for proof that Wilson was drafted as a slot DB, the position he has been playing pretty much his entire career, and then you state matter-of-factly a plan that was never mentioned by the team or even executed.

Nobody is saying that the Jets were smart for drafting a slot guy in the first round, just that they did.

14. abyzmul

The Jets were very ready to part ways with Cro until the Nnamdi deal fell through. That means they were willing to spend a 2nd rounder on a 1 year rental.

15. Jay Bizniss

The intention was for Wilson to come in and play on the outside... Fact..

16. abyzmul

Prove it. :)

17. Jay Bizniss

I would love to but I can't... But there is no way in hell that they used their 29th overall pick to pick a slot corner.. He was supposed to take over for Cro and he and Revis would have been the CB tandem for the next 5+ years.

18. abyzmul

That's not a fact, that is just a conclusion that you have come to based on nothing but draft position and in the face of facts that speak otherwise. If the Jets had any intention to move Kyle Wilson to the outside, they would have done so in the 2011 offseason instead of hotly pursuing Nnamdi, then re-signing Cro when that fell through.

RochesterJet likes this.
  19. Jay Bizniss

They went after Nnamdi because Wilson was getting torched and wasn't going to be ready to take that prominent role year 2... They didn't feel he could move into that #2 spot opposite of Revis, so they needed insurance... You would go after Nnamdi also if he was available.

20. nevbeats319

it was cro or revis gone.... i dont think they thought they would have both and wilson was insurance for one of them..again its better wilson plays the slot good then not play at all and be a complete bust.....