Are Jets fans good fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hoobash, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Now that's just not the case. Who was clamoring for a few more years of Kotite? No one picketed when Groh left. The fans may bitch and call for heads, but they show up every year. The fans have no means of firing anyone, even when we are on the wrong track.

The arguement of 2 more years is perpetual, half the fans say that no matter who the owner, coach, QB... is.

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Last year I went to the Ravens game and heckled Geno for 3 hours

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

no, we don't have a good fanbase.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Continuity is an overrated approach when it ends up being the continuation of mediocrity.

People act like the Jets have too little continuity. Actually Tanny was with the organization for over 15 years, starting out as the cap guy before becoming the GM in 2006. Does anyone really think he did not get enough time here?

Ryan is on his sixth season. Compared to the rest of the NFL that is a longer tenure than the average HC has with their teams. Not every HC is in a situation like Belichik's, or even Andy Reid going from one long tenure to another job with no gap.

Obviously this is Idzik's only second season, but I would remind those who argue he should get a few more years minimum that the guy has no track record of success. So far he has been very mediocre, imo. Why do we think he is about to transform himself into a top GM?

As for Qb's, Chad actually lasted on the team well after it was evident his injuries were chronic and were keeping him from being able to throw some of the basic passes NFL Qb's are expected to be able to throw, like the 20 yard out pattern. And Sanchez did not get enough time here? Bullshit. Vinny was a different situation since his career was well over half over by the time he got here.

I don't really think the Jets have had too little continuity. The only example of some key person who left after one year as Groh. Are we really saying that his leaving was some huge problem?

5. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Other than what I saw when I went to a Texas A&M game, Jet fans are the most devoted fans in the country. Who in their right mind would root for this team after all the bullshit we have put up with from 1970 onward. We are the franchise that invents ways to lose yet we still love this team.

Diabolical_Jet_Fan likes this.
  6. tfineZ

tfineZ Member

Our fan base is the worst in the NFL. Any fanbase that cheers when there starting QB gets injured is the lowest of low. Our fan base is like a bunch of drunk children with borderline personality disorder

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jets fans are great. It's remarkable to me how passionate the fan base is despite it's lack of success. This is an organization that has only won 2 division titles since the 1970 merger.

Think about that - 2 freakin division titles since 1970. To put that in perspective: Pittsburgh has won 20 freakin division titles in that same span. New England has won 9 division titles just in the last 10 years. It's kind of easy to have a loyal fan base with that kind of success!!!
    By that same token, even crappy teams with fan bases I would consider "bad" or "fair-weather" have more division titles in that time: Cardinals (4) Rams (15 total - 3 in Stl.) Jaguars (2 - 25 less years) Dolphins (13)

The mere fact that people show passion towards this team is remarkable to me considering the lack of success and the readily available competing interests as CMAN so eloquently put. Inferior teams that are secondary in their own market are usually great candidates for teams that move out of town or teams that struggle to keep a loyal, passionate fan base.

A good comparison of the Jets organization is the Clippers organization in basketball. Back pages in the own city. High, profile competing interests and a history of failure - - It's pretty obvious who has the better fan base there. Nobody likes the Clippers when they aren't good and even when they are good like in recent years, the fan base kinda sucks. That fan base is a morgue overall.

The worst is the "holier-than-thou" Jets fans who judge the passionate, angry fans as poor fans. There is a HUGE difference between being a "homer" (for lack of a better term) vs. being a good fan. They aren't synonyms. The guys that are booing Geno Smith on sundays are just as good fans as those crying about it. Bad fans are those in Jacksonville - that's why they have to tarp up half the stadium. Or in Miami where half the fan base are transplants that don't really care that much. Or New England where they didn't give a rats ass about the football team until they started winning.. same in Indy, etc.

The Jets aren't always relevant on the field of play, but their fan base always makes them relevant because of their undying passion year after year. That's a sign of a good fan base.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No doubt in my mind, the Jets home fan base is awful. Especially if we are talking Game Day fans. They would rather drink in the parking lot than watch the actual game. They are never loud enough, then when they are starting to get loud (Bears Game), the Jets give them nothing to cheer about. It is really a mix. If the team played better, they would be louder. They turn on the team very quick too. They aren't the worst fans though. I have seen worse. Unfortunately, I have seen much better. It would be nice to have a home field advantage.

Road games, Jets fans show up and it is cool to see. Normally a good turn out at every road game I have been too.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Moving to Jersey was the kiss of death if you want a devoted fanbase.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That and PSL's pretty much excluded Average Fan from the stadium. Now you got mostly corporate seats occupied with corporate fans and other "guests" of fans that couldn't make the game. These people have no real rooting interest in the game so mostly you get just background noise instead of cheering.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great point.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

No. I don't think we have a good fanbase. Moving to the Meadowlands, competition with the Giants and other local teams, a culture of losing, high costs, traffic snarls, the NY media, and other factors have turned our fans into a bunch of grumpy whiners. There are times when being a Jets fan feels more like a burden than a privilege and I sometimes wonder if this team would be better off in Oklahoma City or some other smaller market where they would be better appreciated.

13. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Its ridiculous to question whether the Jets are good fans. As was pointed out several times here, they are very passionate despite there being not a lot to cheer for since SBIII. And despite the fact that we're constantly being beaten down by at least 50% of the people in our own geographic area who don't root for us. Still. we draw 78,000+ for a home game and get good tv ratings. That's a good measure of where we stand.

The Jets are by far the most self-critical, self-deprecating fan base. A good example is the past three weeks. We just lost 3 straight games by one score and in each game, a TD was impacted by an officials call. In every other fan base, this would be the prime topic of conversation. Here, we get, "who cares, the Jets suck, they would've lost anyway", amidst tortured explanations of how each call was right. I get that we didn't play well enough to win those games, but who knows. We've got to stop being so negative. It just gives every other fan base and media outlet the opening to continually dump on us.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  14. Endlessly Counting

I don't agree with this

I think we have a very loud fan base when there's something to cheer about
    Were you at last year's Saints' game?

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Excellent point. Perhaps the Jets really are a small market team playing in a Large Market. Perhaps Woody should have moved the team to Omaha. That way, all of their fans will have nothing else to do except keep the sheep in the meadows, the cows out of the corn and watch the Cornhuskers and the Omaha Jets play football.

They just might be a team better suited for fly over country. I could see them in San Antonio or Salt Lake City. At least there they will have a fanbase that will adore them no matter what and fill the stadium bad record or not. It wouldn't really matter how long it takes to field a winning team because that fanbase will have nothing else to do but root for the BFE Jets.

This is New York. You don't win and you only get so many chances before the fans let you know. Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, you name the sport, and I'll show you fans that will let the team hear it when they're not playing well. That's just the nature of the people in this area. Woody Johnson knew this coming in when he bought the team. Players know this when they sign here.

Maybe they should charge small market prices for tickets and PSL's. That way fans won't get pissed because they're not spending large market money for small market play.

16. Cman68

I heard them over the TV and they were loud. Like you said, when they're into the game situation. In general, the MetLife stadium is kinda quiet with mostly background noise. Maybe one of these days, I can skip a mortgage payment and buy a pair of decent tickets and actually go to a game.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  17. Endlessly Counting

I think the construction of the stadium has something to do with that. In remembering the construction when the two stadiums were side by side, the entire top tier of Met Life is higher than the top row of Giants Stadium. I think its about 25,000 seats up there. So that's a lot of "potential" cheering that's not being heard.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think in general fan bases are the same. Success will change the attitude of fans. Jets fans complained that Tanny went crazy in Free Agency. Jets fans are now complaining Idzik didnt go crazy in Free Agency. When a team hasnt achieved a consistent level of success, fans will complain about everything until they get it. I dont think all this current complaining is exclusive to being a Jet fan.

There is a small portion of Patriot fans that are already calling for Brady to be benched. I've already seen Eagle fans complaining about Chip Kelly. There are Packer fans that hate their front office.

My point is that it is super easy to complain if you are not winning. Fans that complain arent bad fans, they just dont have much to be "good fans" about. If the Jets go and rattle off a dynasty type run, we'll start seeing articles about how good the fan base is.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we don't have a culture of losing, that culture died a long time ago.

our fanbase is similar to NYG, we follow the media's lead. we have terrible fanbases.

20. iTzPoPPaBeaR

iTzPoPPaBeaR Member

We have our Mongoloids just like every other team. Especially now that we are 1-3 on the brink of a possible 1-6 start it's going to be an interesting year on TheGangGreen.

Overall at the stadium you will have a good time and I love Jets fans. We have all suffered through the worst already.