Anyone Watching Mark Sanchez right now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by The Uniform Bomber, Jan 1, 2009.

1. chopke

chopke New Member

I don't know much about Sanchez, but I don't think our WR corps should be reason to not draft a promising QB. First, you can't fill all your positions with a single draft pick. If we never draft a QB until we have WRs to make him good and never draft WRs until we have a QB to make them look good, well...

Moreover, I don't think our WR corps is that much of a problem. Keller is turning into a great big go-to target. Coles and Cotchery are both legit #2s, Clowney and Stuckey are developing into legit #3 WRs. The Jets are just 1 playmaker away from having one of the top WR corps and even right now, have an adequate, if unconventional set...

2. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Is McCoy or Sanchez considered the better Pro-Prospect?

Not sure if Sanchez will be ahead of other offensive guys like McCoy and Des Bryant next year.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i watched that game and was dreaming of seeing him in green.and i'm not buying the wr arguement since people were saying the same thing about atlantas wr's.

4. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

If we pick Sanchez in the first, then I think we can still get a decent receiver in the 2nd or 3rd. Look at all the receivers that dropped into the 2nd round last year. This year (if they declare) probably the only prospects who will go in the first will be Maclin and Crabtree.

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Well, Matt Stafford + Sam Bradford + Mark Sanchez would all appear to be 1st rounders, but what about Colt McCoy? I know these guys dont really say anything until their bowl game is over, but its probably 50-50 that McCoy goes as well. Isnt he a 1st rounder as well?

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Colt McCoy has already said that he's returning to Texas...and I believe him.

7. The Grim Revis

If we take Sanchez, we should probably take Rashad Johnson or Louis Delmas in the 2nd. Our #2 Safety is pretty awful.

Maybe looking at Patrick Turner in the mid-rounds isn't a bad idea. Tall receivers are nice to have. Where's he supposed to go, 4th round?

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez*, USC
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
    Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
    12/20/08: Finished the year with 2,794 yards, 30 touchdowns and 10 picks, with a YPA of 8.4 and a completion percentage of 64.4. However, Mark Sanchez can't really read defenses, a disability which is masked by the talent around him and the fact that he's always playing with a huge lead (thanks to his great defense and weak opponents).

Sam Bradford, 6' 4" 208, Oklahoma (soph)

2. Mathew Stafford, 6' 3" 220, Georgia*

3. Graham Harrell, 6' 2" 203, Texas Tech

4. Rhett Bomar, 6' 2" 220, Sam Houston State

5. Tim Hiller, 6' 5" 228 Western Michigan*

6. Tim Tebow, 6' 3" 232, Florida*

7. Mike Teel, 6' 3" 224, Rutgers

8. Nathan Brown, 6' 2" 210, Central Arkansas

9. Mark Sanchez, 6' 3" 225, USC*

10. Nate Davis, 6' 2" 217,Ball State

11.. John Parker Wilson, 6' 2" 213, Alabama

That's a couple of sites. You might be right, he might go earlier. I think he's got a ton of talent, and I don't know enough about his ability to read defenses. I can see him falling past the 1st and even the 2nd, but I can also see him going in the 1st. I don't think it's as clear cut as "he won't make it to our pick" or even "he won't make it to our 2nd pick"

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You've got to be kidding me if you think Mark Sanchez is a lesser QB prospect than Rhett Bomar, Tim Hiller, Graham Harrell, Mike Teel, and Nathan Brown. Tim Tebow won't declare, and even if he did, he'd still be ranked behind Sanchez because of the system he plays in and his throwing motion.

C'mon man...Rhett Bomar, Tim Hiller, and Nathan Brown? Really? ...and not even Rutgers fans would say Teel isn't better than Sanchez.

That's hilarious...

He plays against weak opponents? I didn't know top 25 teams like Penn State, Ohio State, Oregon, and California were "weak"...The healthy Oregon State team that beat them also isn't too shabby.

Coming out of high school, Sanchez was one of the top rated players in the nation. Reading defenses can be coached...he has all of the athletic ability and then some.

It is clear. If he comes out early, he'll be a first round pick -- guaranteed.

#29 Mr Electric, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  10. The Grim Revis

Sanchez is a better Pro-Prospect than anyone on that list except maybe Bradford and Stafford. I'd probably rather us take him over one of them.

Sanchez plays in a Pro-Style Offense, he extremely athletic,and has a good arm.

11. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I think there's a decent chance one of the three would be available at 17 if all 3 declare, especially if the Rams pass on a QB, which I don't see them doing.

None of the teams in the 11-16 range need a QB though.

12. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Take Rhett Bhomar in the 4th round --- if he's there.

13. The Grim Revis

I'm sick of taking QB's in the mid rounds.

Sanchez in the 1st!

14. JetsLookingforDWare

Sanchez and it's not even close.

McCoy's OK. I'm a fan, but as a pro he's not like a prototypical franchise QB.

15. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Man, I wish we had a chance to nab Stafford. Watching him yesterday, everything about him just oozes superstar QB. He reminds me a lot of Cutler. He'd be perfect but its too bad a crapload of teams need a QB this year.

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I never said that's what I think. I said that's a couple of sites. I didn't make that list, I was just too lazy to post the link. All I was showing was that it's no slam dunk that people think he's a first round pick. These draft gurus are all over the place with him. Do I think he's a first round talent? Yes. But I can see him going in the 2nd just because there really aren't a ton of teams in need of a QB.

I also don't agree with that list, but I'm just showing that it's not like everyone thinks he's a lock as the 3rd best QB. And there's no guarantee that 3 QBs will be taken in the 1st round. Personally, I'll take him 2nd after Bradford. I hope this team stays the hell away from Stafford if he drops to us. I also don't think we should go for Sanchez in the 1st though. If he makes it to the 2nd, make a play for him. He will not be the best player available at #17. I'm hoping for Brandon Spikes.

17. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Amen to that. Sanchez has all the tools to be a franchise QB, which is why I have no faith that we'd pick him up -- it all makes too much sense for this organization.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Sanchez has about 0 reasons to come out. Why would a USC QB leave early?

Only QB prospect I like as much as or more than him is Stafford. Stafford gets way too many prototypical gunslinger scouting reports. He definitely knows how to put tough onhis passes.