Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

why would my wife and kids be reading a jets messageboard ??

this isnt any place for the weak and sensitive.

and yes i am having one mutha focking day
    personally professionally and hearing namath this morning at 715am just set me off.i felt like destroying something iconic.

2. 17a_tailgater

because we have sucked all these years

of course the guy got more ass than a toilet seat.but have you ever been tld but some old timer,"back in my day..." yea back in your day woman fell in line and washed your d*ck just for coming home after a night of drinking.

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Hard to understand this thread at all. It's not like Joe is interfering and hanging around uninvited. The man bleeds Jets green. For that you have had enough of him?

Don't let the Revis thing get to you... as that is about the only way I have of forgiving you such blasphemy.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Some of us know what you look like because you posted your photos here. So when you write about having sex with Joe Namath's daughter, for a second or two we get a nasty image in our heads.

Besides that, if you were somehow trying to be funny about sexin' Namath's daughter, well, you failed. Nothing about it was funny.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He's a New York sports icon, but I never seen him play, nor was I alive during the guarantee. I'm not tired of him, I'm just tired of hearing about that 1968 team in general.

Let's win another one so we won't have to.

6. 17a_tailgater

im about to confront Revis face to face and make him sign a contract.

i am in rare form today boys and girls.

7. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Totally disagree. The Jets have one recognizable face, and it's Namath. And, by all accounts, he's a good guy who loves promoting the Jets. I also think he's pretty cool, in an old school kind of way. Not a fake. We Jet fans could domworse, in my opinion.
    Love Broadway Joe.

8. 17a_tailgater

ha ha ha

sorry can not type what i just thought

9. 17a_tailgater

this may be the underbelly of my feelings and it just spewd onto namath.but opening night cant comeany sooner

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes, he's a good ambassador for the team.

I think Derek Jeter will be like this with the Yankees 30, 40 years from now.

We should be glad Namath still wants to be around the Jets. Just look at the Cleveland Browns and Chicago Bears. Jim Brown snubbed the Browns last week about something. (I didn't read the story, just a headline). Gale Sayers pisses off many Bears fans with his numerous shots at the team even if he sometimes or often times is correct. Terry Bradshaw for many years had a beef with the Steelers.

11. 17a_tailgater

btw did i mention i have been watching American History X in work and have about had it with my co workers......

12. 17a_tailgater

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

At some point you stop being relevant, at least from a fan perspective. I would say that 75% of Jets fans today have NEVER seen Joe play. That's huge for fans.

As a kid I really felt nothing for Mickey Mantle or Joe Dimaggio, but thought the world of Donnie Baseball. It's who you actually see playing that matters.

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Anybody can watch him play by renting SB3 from your nearest rental shop

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That's true to a point at least, but look at Yogi Berra. Many Yankees fans seem to love him but he hasn't played since the early 1960s. Of course, he was also a manager.
    Cardinals fans still love Stan Musial.

What I tried to get across above was that it would be bad if Namath ripped the Jets on a consistent basis much like how Brown does to the Browns and Sayers does to the Bears. Imagine how much Jets fans would hate Namath if he took all kinds of shots at the franchise.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I meant watching live, genius.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Like I said, I like Joe Namath as an ambassador for the team. What I don't like is constantly hearing about that 1968 team. That's mostly because it just reminds me how fuckn long its been since the team has been a champion.

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Your favorite players are the guys you see growing up, when you're young and impressionable. The way you look at sports and the guys who play them tend to take on different forms as you go through your teen years to your adult years. There's a reason guys like Al Toon and Lance Mehl and Lenny Dykstra and Pat LaFontaine and Chris Mullen will always hold a place in my heart when guys like Wayne Chrebet, Turk Wendell, and Michael Peca will always be great to me, but not the same as the 1st group of guys I mentioned.
    That said....Joe Willie is the franchise, no matter if they win a SB this year or not. He is not a leech on this franchise, he is a guy people in the sport still listen to and, from watching Hard Knocks, he obviously still knows what he's talking about. Fucking Nacho himself looked awed as he was listening to Namath talk. The day he dies will be an awfully sad day for the organization and for us.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well it is the next best thing to have seen him live if you really/truly want to have seen him in action right?

20. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I feel sorry for you younger fans who don't understand the importance of legacy and who never saw Joe play. Joe Wille not only is the face of the NY Jets, in many ways he is the face of the modern NFL. His place in the NFL is cemented on a level not many other players will ever reach, or hope to reach. Until Joe came along many of the teams fans all root for today, were in that time, the (UFL) and not even a thought on the big stage. Joe's win over the Colts and the way he won, changed the face of the NFL for all time. For that fact alone every former AFL team owes Joe a huge debt that could never be paid, and that debt is above and beyond his SB win over the unbearable Colts of that time.

I hate to sound like some old asshole but in many ways those of you who are jumping on the "I am tired of the Joe bandwagon" are just short on life experience and have not matured enough to understand the people and things in life that will truly be remembered long after you and yours are a forgotten memory. If you are given a full life you will certainly feel differently about legacies in your fifties and sixties then you do in the early years of your life.

In one hundred years from this moment the Jets fans of that day will always know about Joe Wille and what he did, they won't have a clue about O'Brien,Boomer, Vinny, and all the rest. So you can spout all the stuff you want about being tired of Joe,he earn everything he has today and more and will forever be a NY Jet... :jets: