Anyone Else Tired of Joe Namath??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Sep 4, 2010.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What does that have to do with anything?

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

You don't get it.

In 40 years I could show my grandkids HD videos of the entire 2009 Jets season, and they still wouldn't be able to match the level of excitement I experienced during that playoff run.

I can't believe you're having a tough time understanding this.

3. championjets69

Yes but U said U never saw him play & by watching that game at least U can get a flavor of him playing. I just cannot understand how U cannot understand that. I glad the PO run last year charged you up but 40 years from now also remember it just led in the ultimate end to another losing season. Lets hope this year turns out differently

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Would you enjoy a video of yourself having sex with a woman as much as the real thing? Is it even close?

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

I never get tired of J.N...

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Who jhad better weapons than Sauer, Maynard, Lammons, Snell, Boozer,...?

I would buy that excuse except in their SB year Joe threw 2 more INts than TDs.

Jurgensen's career YPA was 7.6, Namath 7.7

The argument isn't at his best, I don't disagree w/ you there but he didn't play at his best long enough. From a talent standpoint he is probably a top 5 QB but there's more than talent and his body didn't allow him to maintain that level for long.

7. championjets69

Guess IUHO that even though you never saw him it is not important enough for U to see him play even though he was the field general that brought us our only SB. IMHO to compare sex & JWN is also quite silly.

A far better comparison would say be Penny & JWN or Vinny & JWN but to compare sex & FB is most poor analogy

8. pisano24

pisano24 Member

I'm sick and tired of people being sick and tired

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I have no interest in debating Namath with you for the umpteenth time. We get absolutely nowhere because you never can find it within yourself to give me credit for making a good point. You fight me on everything.
    Look up all the old Namath-centric threads where we both appeared. The answers to your questions will be there.

You'd do better in the long run to at least occasionally tell me I made a good point, as I did with you in the last Monk thread. Surely, 100% of the stuff I write in these debates is not garbage.

What is it with you?

Namath is "clearly" not one of the top 100 players of all-time? You want to tell that to all the football experts (coaches, players, league historians, Hall of Fame voters- basically the best possible panel NFL Films could have chosen) who voted Namath to that list?

Or is it simply that YOU do not think Namath is a top 100 player of all-time? Then, in your world, anybody who thinks Namath is in the top 100 is a complete moron.

I got news for you- you are not right 100% of the time, junc. I'm not right 100% of the time, either. Nobody is. The sooner you realize this, the better off you'll be.

#249 Cakes, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm not going to argue that he was skilled enough to land us a championship many moons ago. That being said, I'm tired of the guy. Can't we bring anyone else out of the woodwork?

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I can give you credit when you actually make a good point. What point did you make that was good in this thread?

This debate will go like this- anyone who idolized him as a kid will back him, those that don't have an emotional attachment will generally see him as overrated.

Art Monk doesn't belong in the HOF, the man had 2 HOF worthy seasons. He was a classic compiler. I will not concede a point that I don't believe in.

Don't take it personally, I understand you are knowledgeable and study the history of the game. You make good points from time to time but unless they are argument changers why would I acknowledge them?

Yes I want to tell it to the football experts b/c they are wrong. Namath is an iconic figure more for what he did off the field than on it and he gets overrated b/c of it.

I KNOW Namath isn't a top 100 player of all time, you don't lead your team to 2 playoff apps in your career and throw 47 more INts than TDs and become a top 100 player all time. You either need to win big or have great #s(some have both) and he has neither. He's a top 100 talent, there aren't many QBs w/ more talent than he had but again he lost alot of that ability b/c his body broke down.

Not to mention that he always embarrasses us when we do trot him out w/ the drunk sideline antics a few years back and in TC he looked like a complete buffoon. He was once a good looking guy, those days are long gone. he's more of a freak show today and we are always trotting him around for some reason.

12. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

And exactly how does that make your life less than it otherwise would be?

Whiner.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I do agree a bit with the OP. I always get a little embarrassed for Joe when he talks. The guy had his day in the spotlight, that day has come and passed.

That whole scene with him in the QB room was terrible to watch for me.

15. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

16. Big Blocker

It's not about whether Joe provides you with enough entertainment value. He contributed to this franchise far more than anyone else. If in his declining years he wants to come back and hang around, I can't believe anyone who can log on and write whatever they want would choose to begrudge him that. He should just stay in hiding? Die?

WTF?

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I think everyone understands and appreciates what Joe did for this franchise, and it's not my intent to belittle that. I just find myself being embarrassed for him a lot of the time when I hear him talk now. Nothing but love for the man, but he's an old man now and probably starting to lose it a little as old people tend to do.

18. Big Blocker

I don't feel embarrassed for him when i see him.

One of the things Joe said that always cheers me up is

I like my women blonde and my Johnnie Walker Red.

My wife, who's a redhead, always makes a face when I say that. Heh.

19. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

You guys think that the Jets don't get any respect as a franchise? Try taking away Joe Namath. We'd be the worse than the Buffalo Bills. We'd be the fucking Clippers of the NFL.

20. championjets69

IMHO those that are anti JWN like Junc & 17A are just plain totally jealous that they have been fans for some years but have not yet tasted the champagne of winning a Championship & seeing it occur instead of having to watch a DVD to see the team he roots for winning the only WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP of there history