Anyone Else Struggling To Get Back Into Football?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Italian Seafood, Jun 25, 2012.

1. blEEdgrEEnaLLyEEr

blEEdgrEEnaLLyEEr New Member

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm having trouble developing enthusiasm for the year mainly because it's becoming clear to me that after a decade plus of owning the team Woody Johnson still doesn't know where the Jets have to go to win a title.

It's all been very entertaining at times but this is a .500 team give or take a few wins and it's not a young .500 team. It's a .500 team in which all of the age ranges on the team, right up into the executive suites, are contributing to the lack of progression as a franchise.

Unlike Woody Johnson my main aim for the Jets is not to sell tickets, it's to win a Super Bowl. It's becoming increasingly frustrating watching the goal we should all be aiming at become just lip service bellowed by our head coach when everybody else seems happy just to promote the team to sell tickets.

It gets old.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I was dreading this season UNTIL Schotty left. Now I can't wait. Tebow was just icing after Brian left.

4. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Short answer is no, long answer is too long.

5. The really negative Jets fans have really dampened things too. "SOJ FAN" is a real sickness. The random second guessing,comparing to other franchises, rooting against our young players to develop, turning on veterans the second a story hits without getting the real facts..we all hurt from every loss, we all want to see a super bowl..why is it necessary to constantly bash every facet of the team at every single turn?

We had Bills, Dolphins,Patriots & Giant fans here for a good 2 months spewing anti Jet bias garbage before anyone would even defend their own team! People talk about their being a negative entity surrounding this franchise...maybe it's among the fan base.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The Spurs stole and broke my heart last NBA playoffs. It did make those 2 months go by a lot quicker. The Mets are the Mets, im waiting for them to cave but I have hope they can get into the wildcard and you never know what happens.

Im really waiting for NFL at this point. Cant wait.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i realized as i got older and got more responsibilities that the jets really dont mean shit, kids make the jets an after thought. maybe i will get more into it in 10 years when i am really old and dont have anything else to do but for now its just a little bit of entertainment.

those over the top watch the dvr of the game in slow motion and critique like they were a coach fans have also made me realize that there are far more important things to do in life than obsess over the jets.

and i really cant stand what the nfl is becoming and what the jets ownership has become.

i also to a large extent blame herm edwards, that piece of shit really pissed me off to the point that i became a bit of a darksider, and now i have a really hard time being positive about most things jets..

8. BookEndTackles 72&79

I think part of it is that they were coming off the high of AFC championship game two years in a row and the anticipation to get started again was high.

9. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

"Cant wait!"

10. JetsFanDoc

I'm assuming this is what you used to be????

Because nobody I know does that.

11. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Heat fan who enjoyed the basketball playoffs. I am not a front runner been a fan since 2001/2002ish, very annoying that I have to explain that but I'll take the title. Brian Grant got me into the team when he signed and drafting D-Wade after he destroyed Kentucky in the Elite 8 in 2003 sold me on the team. I am also a Yankee fan who is enjoying the baseball season. But there is only 1 team that I follow that still needs to win a title in my life. Can't wait until that season starts. I've been a huge follower of 1 Yankee title and 2 Heat titles, and 1 Cuse National Title (I know there is no hope for Cuse Football). Basically seen 2 Jets postseason runs. Want it to be there turn.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Got a stack of books on football.

Specifically:

1. On passing attack out of West Coast Offense.
    2. Coaching 46 defense (by none other than Rex Ryan)
    3. Coaching 3-3-5 defense. (This is my pet favorite as of late.)

This is where I am at right now:

1. If Jets can find two TEs who can play in the slot, at a traditional blocking TE and as a FB, that will boost the offensive performance beyond human imagination.

2. WCO was... just a out-of-blue choice. I am more interested in how it can work with Pistol. (I am more than certain that the passing designs from WCO WILL work in the boundaries of Pistol offense as well.)

3. By the same token, if Jets can find OLBs who can play part-time SS or SS who can play part-time OLB (This, the more the better) then the defense will be extremely hard to plan against. As a skeletal form, you'd get 3-1-3 (3 down linemen, 1 MLB and 2 CB/1 FS) and after that, the remaining 4 are all interchangeable. (2 OLBs/SS/ILB for a traditional 3-4, 2 OLB/2 SS for 3-3-5 triple stack, and subbing 1 with a DL results in 4-3, etc; simply, in most cases, even without substituting personnel, this D gets all kinds of versatility you can only dream about.)

Now... will the Jets stick to what I envision? I do not see that happening. (Ha! :))

That said: I never am excited/revved up or down even before the season starts. I always start neutral - with some concerns if there is any. So for now I am neutral, like I always am. I do have my reservation toward the offense (can you spell WFH?) but other than that, I am at where I usually am.

#52 Zach, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

STILL a dick

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Woody has put good people in place to run the football side of things, we've had more sustained success under him than ever before. I understand hating Woody for PSLs and ticket prices but I don't get the Woody hate for the on field product.

Not every team is great every year, the SB champs last year missed the playoffs the 2 previous seasons and were just 9-7 before getting hot. It wasn't loike they were the '86 Giants dominating almost from start to finish. Woody has assembled a staff that gives us a chance every year, we took a step back last year- it happens.

sounds like you have other issues going on in your life that you need to take care of.

15. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Careful with that. Much easier to get away with being a dick than calling someone one.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Come on guys the doom and gloom. Every NFL team is basically a .500 team that is what the NFL wants parity. The last two superbowl winners where lucky to make the playoffs as wild cards. Look at SanFran was anyone picking them to do as well as they did last year?

Every team in our division has huge holes including the PATS. Yet, the Jets holes are unfillable and Patriots are a lock to win the division. I just do not think that is the case they have not been unbeatable in the division the Jets have beaten them the Bills have beaten them and the Dolphins had their opportunities. If you think Rex will not have an answer for what the Pats did to the Jets last season you have not watched the Jets the Jets under Rex.

The Bills are this seasons hot pick to make the playoffs and that is more a curse than a blessing.

The NFL comes down to three things Injuries, Turnovers and QB play. You stay healthy (Which the Jets did not due), Win the Turnover battle(which the Jets did not due) and get consistent QB play (Which the Jets did not get) will you win games.

Injuries- Who knows here out of everybody's hands

Turnovers- This can be fixed but Green, Mcknight and Sanchez turn the ball over to much this is a big concern.

QB Play- Take a look at this link every QB before and after Schotty has turned the ball over less after Schotty so it is not a stretch to think this will improve with Sanchez either.

http://nyjetscap.com/Schottenheimer.html

What I don't get is that people do not understand the maturation of a QB.

First year starting Qb's - can have success because they just dont know any better I don't know what I don't know i am just going to wing it.

Second year QB's - know a little bit more and are more cautious as they learn to read defenses but usually over think or run around a lot like Tebow. They are also learning to break down game film which is a skill in itself.

Year Three they think they know what they are seeing but read more than react and get fooled more because now they know what to look far and defenses sucker them into throws. DCs also have a lot of tape on their tendencies and exploit the QBs weaknesses. They are often late on their throws because they are trying to "read" the defense.

Usually by year 4 the Qb has seen most of what is going to get thrown at them do not get fooled as much and are able to get the ball out their hands quicker. When i hear fans he cant make quick decisions that is just the progression of a QB to trust what his eyes are telling him and letting the ball go. Reacting over thinking there is not time to think in the NFL that is why it takes a while to learn to play the position.

Throw on top of that a coordinator that even Veteran Qbs throw a lot of INT you get Sanchez and a Sanchez poised to have a break out year.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I do record the Jets show on SNY but other then that, no Sirus NFL radio or NFL Network. For me, the icing on the cake was the Giants winning the Super Bowl. They go 9-7 and play mediocore and get every break and win the damm thing out of nowhere again and my team can't win one. It took the NFL life out of me. Still not back to normal

18. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yea I'm with you I have not been hyped this off season and I think a lot of that has to do with how turned off I was with the tebow circus but I can feel it slowly coming back. Once my fantasy football leagues start up I'll be ready

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I tend to agree Junc. I still firmly believe that if you watch hockey you cannot watch soccer.

Soccer is just slow hockey on grass minus the checking that is played by a bunch of millionaire hotshots that play possum.

/AmericaFuckYEAH

20. JetsFanDoc

I am cautiously optimistic right now...i like how they are going with youth on offense with the new coordinator. I also am fairly confident the defense will have a nice bounce back year. The main thing tempering my mood is the fact that Hunter is still a factor. I mean, COMMME ON.