Anyone Else Pissed That Rex...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I thought punting down by 17 with 3 minutes left in the game was kinda foolish as well.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

im going to also have to agree with this. it was almost like he was trying to protect his D from giving up too many points on the stat sheet, rather than trying to win the game.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can't disagree with this more. You have a minute on the clock and two timeouts and you run to the middle and don't use either one.

The Steelers knew the game was won at that point. It was the huge pussy move of the game.

I don't care if you bring Tebow in at that point, just show some balls.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If that is the truth, it is the first black mark on his record here. You don't win this division by playing it safe.

5. bsmooth7

bsmooth7 Banned

I wouldn't have minded Tebow throwing a hail mary to clyde gates

6. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

Well Sparano likes a more conservative "ground n pound" offense, so I'm thinking that he decided to just wait until the second half because they were getting the ball back. You can afford to try to put points up in a minute when you have a great quarterback, but when you have an unproven quarterback whose already hurt, a banged up receiving core, and a proven veteran D, sometimes being conservative is the right call.

7. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Two time outs make that basically 2:00 minutes. I said 'what the #*@ we're just going to sit on it". I know we were getting the ball right back , but would have been nice to pull off a field goal before the half.

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Would have liked to see them try to complete a couple of passes. Get Sanchez in some sort of rhythm for the second half. Watching some of the game again and the officials were horrible- both ways.

I think the reason Holmes saw 11 targets was because he was the only one able to get away from his defender a bit. Hill and Kerley were being held well beyond the 5 yard mark and in some cases just tackled. They really should have incorporated some Tebow into the game earlier to mix things up.

9. fake_spike

fake_spike Banned

Welcome to Sparanoball; every dolphin fan is laughing at you for signing this guy

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Plus, if you're getting the ball back next half, you definitely need to take advantage if you're losing. It's like getting two possessions in a row. Huge blunder.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I agree with you Leon. Unfortunately, Rex doesn't. It would be interesting to see if the Jets are in the same position whether Rex makes the same decision. My guess is that Rex would do the same thing. Again, this probably wasn't the only reason, but if the Jets were able to score at the end of the half maybe they get back some of the momentum - which they had clearly lost by that time.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I don't care if Sanchez is banged up. You play to win the game. You don't play to take a knee when you're behind. Every possession is critical. We've seen Sanchez score with less time on the clock, we know he's capable. What's the worst that could happen? Are they seriously THAT paranoid of a turnover? So why ever play on offense then? Every single time you have the ball you risk turning it over. That doesn't mean you don't try to score. Terrible coaching, whoever is to blame for that. At least take a shot or 2.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Pretty gutless to sit on the ball with 2 timeouts left and a minute on the clock when you are losing :sad: if we had the ball on our own 2 yard line I understand,,,but we were across our 30,,,,,,it was a very bad decision and it falls on Sporano and more importantly Rex :sad:

14. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Did this question get asked during Rex's press conference? If so, can anyone brief us what Rex's explanation was?

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

There were no handcuffs today. He threw all over the place. Our receivers did a terrible job of catching some perfectly thrown passes that killed several drives.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Jets fan are fine with him. He's a good OC, just not a good HC. The decision to let the clock run down was not his.

17. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

Oh, How's rebuilding coming along? :breakdance:

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

No way Rex should've tried to force it. Offense wasn't looking sharp going into that drive & it's more probably they turn it over than make the big play. Backup & use the halftime to regroup. It's a safe/boring/conservative way to end the half. However, let's not forget we got Sanchez, Holmes and inexperienced WR set, missing Keller and RT starting only his second game.

19. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

What if he threw a TD? We can play the what if game all day. You play to win the game.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

In the end it's all about guessing which one is more likely. It can be Sanchez throwing a pick-6 or scoring a TD for the Jets. In that situation with the way offense was struggling, I think it's more likely the offense turns it over than accomplishes something good. After the first two drives the offense seemed to be really stuck.

From the comments of many here, it seems they believe Sanchez was more likely to march down the field and put up some points. Unfortunately for them Rex though otherwise. Being down by one score with only one half of football to play isn't a bad position @ Pitt.