Anyone Else Pissed That Rex...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

that will be our downfall to be honest Rex lacks trust in O, he could have 2007 Brady and be conservative, gotta air it out

this ground and pound shit only works when we're winning, we got Greene running into Mangold for 2 yards down 10 in the 4th quarter

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I had flashbacks of Herm Edwards at the half.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Patriots could have gone for a TD at the end of their game today and threw screen passes and ran the ball then a took a knee to set up a FG. Obviously they didn't trust Brady to win the game. Dumb post.

I see where Rex is coming from. We were down one possession and getting the ball back. He decided we could come out and respond after the half. We didn't, then the Steelers converted that stupid 3rd and 16 and it went down hill from there

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We were still down only 3 at that point.

So I am not pissed for that. But I am pissed for not having a defensive leader to lead the team in tough stretch.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Apparently this was Sparano's decision

6. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Rex calls a timeout with about 1:50 left in half with Steelers driving so he can save time for offense when Pitt scores. So Jets get ball back after Pitt score with about 1:00 and decide to run out clock. Does this type of contradictory coaching make any sense? You do not piss away one minute of ball possession at the end of half when playing against a powerhouse team like the Steelers.

Someone asked, "what if Sanchez throws a pick?" Well, he didn't throw a pick and the Jets still had their asses handed to them! If you are going to coach scared, your team will end up playing scared. Which is exactly how they played in the 2nd half.

7. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I am with you on this one Barry. I guess fans forget about the bad things that can happen. Like in the AFCCG in Pitt. two years ago. Forced a fumble ran it in for a TD and the Jets ended losing that game by 5. I think they did the right thing.

8. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Spot on. Make no sense whatsoever ... Especially after a pretty decent kick return.

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I brought up this same thing during the game thread. It didn't make sense to call a timeout and then not try to score after you got the ball back. Especially after Pittsburgh scored a TD rather than a FG it made it even more imperative for the Jets to try and score. It's a mentality thing. While Rex thinks "We're getting the ball at the beginning of the half. Might as well play it safe." I think he should be saying "Great we can score at least three here and then get the ball back at the beginning of the second half to try and score a TD."

It's a defensive type of philosohpy that Rex has and when it was pointed out in the pre-season (game three) when the same situation happened. You should try to score everytime you have the ball on offense and you have a reasonable chance of scoring. Offensive possessions should be treasured, but I don't think Rex will ever think that way. Granted, if you're on the 15 yard line with :30 seconds left and no timeouts you sit on it. However, with :57 seconds and two timeouts on your 31 yard line you have to at least try to score and get the momentum back. What did the defense show in the first half that lead you to believe that the offense wasn't going to have to take every opportunity to score if you wanted to win the game?

10. bsmooth7

bsmooth7 Banned

There is no logic whatsoever in this idea that they are getting the ball 1st in the 2nd half so therefore they should run out the clock in the 1st half when they are trailing in the game.

Maybe if you are winning the game, maybe you run out the clock at the end of the half -- maybe.

But since you only get so many offensive possessions in the game and most of them do not end in a score, when you are losing you should take advantage of all offensive possessions.

At the 31 yard line, you only need to drive 30 yards for a long field goal attempt and there is no risk to trying a long field goal with only seconds left on the clock.

The situation might be different if sanchez had thrown for 3 picks in the 1st half or fumbled the snap a few times and you just wanted to play it safe and not tempt fate. And even if that were the case, logic and probability would still be in favor of trying to drive the ball down the field to at least get into field goal range.

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

AND ... for the record, the Steelers had 2 sacks all game, and Sanchez had no picks. The Oline was doing a pretty decent job of protecting. This was nothing like the 3rd and 17 disaster two years ago. The risk of a turnover was minimal. Going into the half with two timeouts in your pocket was inexcuseable in this case. You have to take at least ONE shot down the field.

12. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Total nonsense; Rex blew an opportunity, HIS defense gave up the long drive before the half, w/ 2-TOs and @ the 32 yd line, they should have tried a couple of fairly safe plays (NOT 2 off-tackle runs) VERY DISAPPOINTED in Rex....he is sometimes so similar to his father...

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Terrible job.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He also had some perfect throws dropped.

Laying down and not even trying to mvoe the ball was pussy shit

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP. Why not just try. Shows a lack of confidence in the offense, IMO.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Rex needs to get away from this ground and pound shit its pissing me off either get a stud RB who can get more than 2 damn yards or change up the scheme, San Francisco is everything we wanna be to be honest but they dont run around yelling ground and pound they run, they throw, when they run they want big gains not 2 yards, when they throw they go deep and they go deep early to stretch defense, we did not stretch the Pittsburgh D at all

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah I don't understand that in the least. There was plenty of time and they just threw up the white flag. That is a a defeatist way to play. Why not try to score before the half? Was that a Sparano call or was it Rex?

18. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

He didn't go for a FG or TD, because Sanchez was probably banged up after taking that helmet hit, and wanted to give him a rest. I don't really see the problem with it, since chances are if the Jets would have gone for it Sanchez would take a few hits from the Steelers D.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i wasnt happy about it....i couldnt understand the jets just killing the clock there.

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

the problem with it is that this is the NFL and if you have a chance to get points, with time and time outs you do it, if you're down on the road.