Anyone else hope Darnold fails in Carolina?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jets-N-Terps, Apr 16, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I bet Joe Douglas hopes he fails

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be awful, though? The last, dysfunctional regime got it right on Sam and our new one got it wrong?

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not about me needing convincing or evidence on the matter.

I think that was pretty obvious In my post.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's not like Sam is a rookie. He's in the last year of his contract which made the choice a lot more difficult. I'd he picked up Sam's option and he played mediocre to bad, we would kill him. If we didn't pick up the option and he played well, JD would be killed for not picking it up. If we stuck with Sam and he turns out to be a mediocre QB while we passed on anyone not named Lawrence that turns out to be great, JD would have been killed. You see what I'm getting at?

JD had to make a decision with a terrible downside no matter what.

matt robinson 17 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! Also, if Darnold does well in Carolina it doesn't mean that he would have done well here. Brady has a bit of a track record with helping QBs improve. The Jets's OC and QB Coach don't. The Panthers' system could be a better fit than the Jets' system would have been. Getting out of the limelight and pressure of NYC and away from the bad memories of the last 3 years, can help him.

While it's true that the Jets practically did everything they could to prevent Sam's developing and reaching his potential, Sam shares a lot of the blame because he never fixed his footwork, which leads to inaccuracy issues and TOs. He never learned to read the Ds and make quicker, better decisions. It could also be that he was overhyped and was never that great a prospect to begin with. He had precious little experience playing QB. At a minimum, he should have stayed at USC another year, and the Jets should have sat him for a year before he ever started in the NFL.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. If Sam does play great for the Panthers, it doesn't mean that he would have for the Jets this year.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NO, it won't. That's a logic fail. Sometimes getting a fresh start elsewhere is what it takes for some players to reach their potential. Due to his previous struggles, the pressure of playing in NYC, bad memories, and the pressure of trying to win a new contract either with the Jets or someone else, Sam could have been pretty much the same QB with the Jets. Getting a fresh start where there are not bad memories, relatively little pressure in terms of where he is playing, working with Joe Brady who has had some success in helping QBs develop, re-uniting with Robby Anderson a WR with whom he had chemistry could help him play at a higher level with Carolina than he would have with the Jets this year. Also, he may be finally fixing his footwork, and they may work with him on reading Ds. Those latter two things are not things JD had control over.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think the most likely outcome for Darnold may mirror one of his numerical predecessors- Richard Todd. For all those old enough to remember Todd came in as a high draft pick and was supposed to be the post Namath savior of the franchise. He showed flashes of talent at times but made a lot of bad decisions and threw a boat load of interceptions. In that case instead of trading him the Jets took a more patient approach and hired an OC - Joe Walton - to install a new system and bring out the best of Todd’s talents. That approach worked - for two seasons. Those around back then know what happened next. After leading the Jets into the playoffs for two consecutive seasons Todd completely fell apart in the AFC Title game and reverted back to the old Todd the following season after Walton was installed as the head coach. THEN the Jets decided to trade him to the Saints ( and actually got a first round pick - a steal ). Todd lasted two more seasons as a spot starter/back-up and was out of the league.

So I can see Darnold play well for a few seasons but I just don’t see him at an elite level or at least not on a permanent basis.

PJ4Ever and bicketybam like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This.

If Sam takes off under a new system, like he could have done here, that's not a good look for JD, especially after his coaching staff said they'd be fine going forward with him. After all JD had 2 full seasons to watch Sam, and if he gets it wrong that's just not a good look. If Sam takes off in Carolina, think of all the picks we coulda had from the #2 to build around him right here.

Ya, I agree with the poster who said "JD is hoping Sam crashes and burns".

10. bicketybam

Well if Sam doesn't win a SB with Carolina then JD made the right choice. Based on that I'm willing to wager JD made the right move.

matt robinson 17 and mrjet80 like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

fair enough

12. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Richard Todd also had the nightmare known as Lou Holtz for a head coach.

13. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

Disclaimer; I'm a lifelong Bills' fan

I couldn't agree more CotcheryFan. I just couldn't stand Adam Gase. I'm not sure why he got under my skin so much. I admit it, my dislike of Adam Gase was completely irrational. As a Bills' fan the best thing that could have happened for the Bills would be for Gase to stay on coaching the Jets. Having said that, I was probably as happy as any Jets fan when JD showed him the door. If Darnold can resurrect his career like Tannehill did, then that should be the final nail in the coffin of Adam Gase; Quarterback Whisperer. He really shouldn't coach at any level in the NFL, ever again...

papapump likes this.
  14. bicketybam

Disclaimer; I'm a Jets fan. You better hope Allen doesn't regress to year 1 or year 2 levels because he was fucking awful. And he wasn't very good against the Chiefs last year, but I did root for him. I think you guys are taking a victory lap a little prematurely.

15. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

I'm 51 years old and was born into being a Bills' fan. I suffered through four straight Super Bowl loses and I have all the scars of the last 20+ years rooting for horrible Bills' teams year after year. Believe me, I'm not spiking the ball after one good season. We'll see how things play out going forward, but I will plead guilty to being optimistic about Josh Allen, and even more so about Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott. I think the long suffering Bills franchise has finally found competent leadership.

Cheers

BacktoQueens, westiedog1 and papapump like this.
  16. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

This is such a great forum as it's an opinion forum, there's no right or wrong, just discussion which is very cool. Even for those thinking they're right when they post, like me, at the end of the day we all know there's no way to know how things will end up and who's ultimately is right or wrong... But this thread caught my attention as an exception to what I just wrote...There's a 23yr old kid, who gave everything he had to an organization that did not give him everything they had...a 23yr old kid who didn't leave by choice, he was traded...a 23yr old kid that by all accounts didn't even want to leave this terrible situation and who has been a complete class act throughout...how anyone could be rooting for this kid to fail is totally and incredibly beyond me. I hope he goes on to a hall of fame career regardless of how the trade looks from the Jets end of it.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is not happening anyway, but I just meant it would be tough to watch. Definitely agree.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It’s a results business. If Wilson flops, Sam or any of the other top QB prospects do well, it’s going to be a bad look for JD fair or not.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t care if he has a HOF career as long as it starts after next season.

Our draft pick > some other teams QB

PJ4Ever likes this.
  20. bicketybam

We're taking Fields. Book it.