Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think the op is right on here. trading 3 2's for allen or baker just doesn't excite me too much.

stinkyB and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Joel Klatt mock draft. Hits on all the QBs, spends a lot of time talking about Allen, and Rosen to a lesser extent.

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is very interesting, even though it's coming from an ex-Giants GM, Ernie Acorsi, I think a lot of the points he makes about deciding to draft a QB when you have a high pick are spot on.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/10/giants-crucial-draft-decision-similar-to-the-one-ex-gm-faced/

This is one of the highlights:

“If you’re gonna pick a quarterback high, you’ve got to believe in your heart that he can win a championship,’’ Accorsi said. “You have all these checklists on measurables — there’s no question they’re important — but when it comes right down to it, you’ve got to feel it.

“If I don’t think this guy can win a championship, I’m not gonna have a conviction. You have to believe that. If you don’t believe that then don’t pick a quarterback high. Because if you’re wrong, it could set you back — this may sound like an exaggeration — it could set you back 8-10 years. Because you’re gonna play him, very rarely do they play well the first two or three years. You’re not gonna know, is he just adjusting or is he a bust? You’re gonna have to give him time.’’

And this:

“If you have the ability to evaluate the most important position in sports, in my opinion, the tiebreaker is you just got to believe it,’’ Accorsi said. “Now, there’s no guarantee, we’re all human. There’s no guarantee you’re gonna be right.’’

This is the guy who drafted Elway, and Eli Manning, and had Roethlesberger in his sights as well. He's now advising the Giants. I hope this time he gets it wrong.

stinkyB and xxedge72x like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Baker, Allen and Lamar are bunched up IMO; they have not separated themselves from Rosen and Darnold IMO. Rosen and Darnold have more desirable traits coming out per the scouts. That's why if we miss out on Rosen or Darnold it would be a loss IMO. Unless you can really design something that will make Allen, Mayfield or Jackson great, they could've had a choice of 1 of them at 6. I think the people in favor of Allen, won me over, but the inconsistencies still hurt.

Of course if they hit the pick, none of this will matter.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield and Allen absolutely separates themselves from Jackson. Mayfield is a total no brainer and I’d rather take a shot on Jackson late in the first than Allen at 3. If you don’t think Allen’s stock has risen far faster and higher than Jackson’s since the combine then toubjust might be a guy who has a thing for Louisville QBs ;)

6. 101GangGreen101

Did you know he worked out with the Dolphins and Dan Marino? He's going to be a top 15 pick as I mentioned already. And IMO, per the tape they did not separate themselves. Besides, I am not a fan of high risers.

FJF likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

All I’m saying is Allen definitely distances himself from Jackson since the combine. Not that I buy any of it, because I think he’s awful, but I think it’s pretty obvious he’s held in much higher regard by NFL teams.

8. 101GangGreen101

I think you mean Kiper and the critics. But its a wash at this stage, different teams view QBs differently.

9. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'll tell you one thing, I'm not a fan of Lamar Jackson to be a staple franchise QB nor would I be a fan of us drafting him at our current pick or former pick. I just think he lacks a lot of things necessary to dominate the position year in and year out.

But I will say one thing, with his incredible amount of athleticism, he is the type that can make any team a tough out on any given Sunday. He's going to get himself out of 3rd and longs more than the average QB and he will cause defenses issues. My thing is if I'm drafting a QB this high, I need to believe they can win games with just their arm and have durability going forward. He's going to have some nice games though...

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like this, but I'd be shocked if Rosen falls to #7. He says that he thinks that Mayfield is the best QB in the draft and is a great fit for the Jets. I totally agree.

11. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Is Rosen or Darnold for the Jets!

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He doesn't have an agent to pump him up like the other guys

Watch the games though....the kid's legit and has a great chance to be a big time player in the NFL

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

He's never missed a game and he can beat you with his arm, watch his games. Qbs get hurt in the pocket as well.

Looks like this team is a fan.

[​IMG]

14. xxedge72x

I think we could see as many as 7 QBs in the 1st round this year. Would it shock anyone if Falk or Rudolph crept up into the end of the 1st? Then there is the inevitable surprise every year, the one no one saw coming. QB is a great spot this year to take that bet.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

If you asked me a few months ago if Mason Rudolph would be a first rounder, I would say hell no, but someone will take him in the first. Steelers, Patriots at the bottom are looking for QBs. I think Falk is still on the outside looking in, but who knows.

I think all 4 teams in the AFC East will have drafted QBs from this class.

16. xxedge72x

I see Falk as sort of a poor man's Baker Mayfield. To that point, unless the Saints trade up, I can absolutely see him going there at pick 27, allowing the Saints to not only get their successor for Brees, but also have the 5th year option which is quite valuable these days, particularly for a QB.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The fith year option is huge for teams and may convince some to draft a guy who needs time in he late frist as opposed to the second. It could be a crazy first night this year.

ColoradoContrails and xxedge72x like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

You have to wonder if they would really reach for a Falk, who doesn't really have much of a ceiling. They should do everything in their power to get back to the SB before Brees retires, a nice pass-rusher to complete the defense or another weapon for Brees in the RZ. Falk has a good floor tho. Good mechanics, footwork and accurate. No arm strength, and a statue in the pocket. Falk is the new Trent Edwards, captain checkdown redux.

IMO, If they want a QB, Riley Ferguson would be a nice QB to get in the 2nd or 3rd round. Let him sit and develop for 2 years. Saints really like Baker Mayfield and they really like Lamar Jackson as well.

19. xxedge72x

Exactly, if you know you are picking a player who is going to ride the bench for a year or two, the fifth year option makes it that much more likely you can realize the player's potential on the field before handing them a franchise contract.

20. xxedge72x

I've seen Falk described as cerebral. In some ways he reminds me of Chad Pennington, if a bit more mobile. I agree he doesn't have the upper potential that a lot of other players in this draft, but by the time you are getting to that point in the draft, coming away with a "safe" QB who can be productive after your hall of fame QB retires isn't the worst option in the world.