Anybody know why Gase is still our HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Nov 26, 2020.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

im aware, i am one of them. the problem is that those jets fans who arent in fairfield county or certain areas of litchfield county arent getting to see the jets play this year. they literally have not been on either the cbs or fox ct channels a single time this year. im lucky i get the jets on the new york cbs, but i only get it in standard definition. many dont.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. This has been an increasing theme in Hartford/Windham counties for about 10 yrs. It’s gotten to the point where the best chance to catch them is when they play an NFC team on Fox

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

To unshackle Darnold from his grasp. An interim coach should have the main objective of giving him the opportunity to play like an NFL quarterback with a full menu of play options and basic procedures like changing a play or two at the line of scrimmage. Allow Darnold to show that he was a mistake from the beginning or has the basics to do the job and has been hampered by abysmal coaching.as well as roster limitations. This should have happened weeks ago.

It is my belief that the COVID situation has extended Gase's term as head coach because of the changes in operations. Empty parking lots and seats at MetLife have spared him the direct and indirecrt confrontation with fans which would have increased pressure. I don't believe even the tank scenario would restrain on premise fans from garnering huge amounts of bad press for Gase and the entire organization. It was that kind of pressure that brought his downfall in Miami to a head. A head coach simply cannot have public confrontations with an owner and survive.

If post game press conferences were live, not on video, and he was getting peppered with questions face to face from dozens of reporters every week about not only his horrible play calling and poor play but about fan reactions I'm confident he would have had a meltdown or two by now - he does not have the mien to stand up to that. This just gives us another thing to blame on the virus.

#43 Ralebird, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know we have talked a bit about this situation, we are assuming Gase is the reason Jets are 0-16 and Darnold is not playing well in his third year as a NFL QB.

Holding on to hope that Darnold is simply waiting to be teamed up with the right coach and his trajectory will go from a career backup to top 10 QB in the league is wishful thinking.

Watching Herbert play in his first year as a rookie on a 3-7 team no one would ever mistake him for a rookie. Quick release, great foundation, incredibly accurate and can take advantage of NFL coached defenses already, analytical mind and ability to process quickly. We can also give credit to Shane Steichen the OC for the Chargers for harnessing what Herbert already had as a QB.

Maybe Jets should look at him as a possible candidate for HC if Gase is fired.

Darnold is not accurate, does not have good footwork, locks on to a primary receiver way too long, and apparently still can’t read defenses?

Maybe Darnold is a slow learner or maybe scheme is not right fit for him but again, it just sound like we are making a ton of excuses for him.

Gase may not be a good HC but I find it hard to believe that while reviewing videos of games for offense, they haven’t been able to see where the deficiencies are and tried to correct them.

Everyone keeps on talking about weapons, even when Sam had weapons last season in particular at the end of the season he was not lighting up the opposing defenses at will like Herbert is doing now.

My honest opinion is that Darnold and Gase are just not very good, I don’t believe Darnold is being held back by Gase.

#44 Red Menace, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    alleycat9 likes this.
  5. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Who in their right mind would want to be a interim coach of a team who if he wins a couple of games and it costs them Trevor Lawrence is will be referred to as the Village Idiot or if he continues to lose he will have a resume that says one time head coach who has a 0 and whatever record.
    Ride out bonehead for the next 6 weeks.
    A four year contract given to this guy when he couldn’t get a head coaching job in Pop Warner, only the Jets

6. Ralebird

No, "we" are assuming no such things. The Jets are a lousy football team but they should not be an 0 - 10 team; that's on Gase. "We" are also not assuming Darnold is not playing well because of Gase but Gase has done nothing to make him better, just as he has no history of making any player better, unless you believe he made Peyton Manning a hall of famer.

Herbert, or whatever other guys you want to go off on tangents with, are not factors in this conversation; neither are any names you want to suggest as the next coach of the Jets - all that belongs somewhere else. It was recognized when Darnold was drafted that he had problems that needed to be overcome. Under the tutelage of first Bates and now Gase, he has gotten worse and lost his confidence. I don't know what he is today and nobody else does because he hasn't had a decent coach around him since he came to the Jets. You say he's not accurate and has bad footwork; those are things that a decent coach would have been working to fix. You say he locks onto receivers and can't read defenses - that's why most teams have dedicated quarterbacks coaches. He may be a slow learner, especially if no one is teaching him anything!

What has this coaching staff improved from that film work you believe they're doing? They can't even adjust at half time!

You ask "why rush to fire Gase?" It's too late to rush! He, first of all, never should have been hired here and probably never should have been hired in Miami. The sooner he is gone the sooner the stench is off this team and the sooner he is gone the sooner everyone can find out the truth about Sam Darnold. Right now he is an asset with an unknown value; no decent business discards an asset without knowing that value. There are no false hopes here, just a businesslike approach to the future. The sooner Darnold is out from under the restraints put on him by Gase and his "game planning" the sooner the appraisal can begin.

It's way past time to put the fans, the press, the team and the entire league on notice that the Jets organization is no longer going to put up with apathy and a failure to perform.

Now, since you seem to be of a different mindset than most guys here, why do you want to keep Gase around past lunch? What do the Jets have to gain by not having blown him out already? What do they gain by keeping him for a single game more?

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Chris Johnson is the reason why Adam Gase is still HC of the NYJ's. Its that simple.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. alleycat9

the patriots kill the market for the jets. but there have always been enough times when the patsies or jets played prime time that you could see more than half their games. this year even when the pats arent playing on sunday you still arent getting them. not 1 single game. of course its better when they are both good and both playing a few primetime games a year.

im lucky i have always gotten both where i live, now the only problem is if the jets arent on the ct channel i only get it in sd.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. alleycat9

ryan tannehill disagrees :)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Red Menace

I don’t have a problem with Gase being fired, I hated the hire to begin with, however in your world Gase is the only reason Darnold sucks.

I’m of the opinion that Darnold is just not that good, Gase was not his only HC, Todd and Bates were his coaches as well, he has been the same QB for 3 years now.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Just because Darnold may not be as good as Herbert doesn't mean he's bad, or that he couldn't take a team to the SB and win, it just means that Herbert is better, but even that doesn't guarantee he wins a SB - remember Marino? As critical as a good QB is to winning, especially a SB, you still need good players and coaching around him. Sam has had neither, so we really don't know for sure how good he can be.

As for saying that Gase hasn't held him back, I disagree. Gase is a bad coach, period. Maybe he knows the Xs and Os, and can dissect the smallest detail and point them out to impress people at cocktail parties (and job interviews), but he has no capacity for translating that knowledge into anything useful that players could use to play better. Given that, it's impossible that Gase's incompetence has had no effect on Darnold - and everyone else.

All that said, I'm not claiming that Darnold is great, or that he's the FQB the Jets have been looking for. At this point in fact he may be ruined. So if you say the Jets should move on from him, fine, I can't disagree at this point, but I also don't think it would be terrible if they kept him and truly improved the conditions around him by getting a good HC and OC, and good talent. It's not the path I prefer. I prefer taking a much better talent like Lawrence (and maybe Fields) and surrounding him with good coaching and talent. But note the common denominator there is good coaching and better talent.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Everyone keeps bringing up Tanehill, what I don’t see is anyone bringing up Joe Philbins management of Tanehill when he coached the Dolphins.

With exception of passing yards, which he had more of under Philbin, he has the same numbers for his career under all three HC, Philbin, Gase and Vrabel. Completion percentage is the same, QBR went up slightly with Tennessee, and interceptions went down a bit because they don’t ask him to carry the team.

He has been the same QB since 2012, what has changed is the team around him and the fact that Tennessee is a run heavy team.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. Red Menace

I have also highlighted the fact that last year when he had a full complement of weapons with Anderson and Crowder, he still struggled during stretches, as a matter of fact guys on this board used Crowders numbers to discredit Anderson and minimize his importance to the team.

I know he was sick last year but he was still plagued by inconsistent performances throughout the year.

I just hope Jets don’t waste another two years with another coaching staff trying to develop Darnold and it turns out he’s the problem, which I believe he is.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I understand your concern about wasting two more years if Darnold isn't good enough. I share that concern too, however I do think he could be good enough. I guess where we disagree is that I haven't seen conclusive evidence that Sam is the problem, given all the other problems he's been surrounded with. In fact, if it weren't for the potential opportunity to replace him with a much more highly rated QB I wouldn't really consider replacing him as long as the Jets fire Gase and add more talent. Despite his flaws, he has a knack for making great plays which is something that can't be coached - you either have it or you don't. And he's the best QB they've had since Pennington. If he received good coachng, had game plans built to his strengths instead of trying to be something he's not, and had better weapons and an OL, he could be good enough.

All that said though, there is no way to know for sure if that's true. He might be ruined, at least for the Jets, so given that possibility, and if the Jets have a chance to acquire a more sure thing in the draft, I agree that the safest course is to move on from Darnold.

15. Ralebird

You didn't read, or maybe you just didn't understand what I posted in the last two responses to you. In one I noted Bates was incompetent as well; no one expected Bowles to tutor Darnold. I said if Darnold had a chance to show what he could do away from Gase he would either reveal himself as a mistake or show he has a future. No one will ever know if we don't see him get the chance.

The Lions have now set the coaching carousel in motion; as usual, the Jets are a dollar short and a day late and we have people riding along on the slow bus seeing no need to get rid of Gase immediately. Whether he's the right guy for the job or not Harbaugh might be out of work by tomorrow. How many other guys could the Jets be interviewing today? You "keep Gase until the season is over" guys would have the Jets holding out for the leftovers.

16. Red Menace

You and will have to agree to disagree on this topic, I’m a believer that Darnold is just not that good and Jets should move on from him and Gase.

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Patricia fired today, Gase miraculously beats out another HC

BacktoQueens and Jets79 like this.
  18. Ralebird

That's fine but don't mischaracterize my view as that of blaming it all on Gase. I'm looking to the future not to the failures of the past.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So now, not only the Falcons and Texans, but also the Lions, have moved on. Yet our 0-10 coach is still running the show.

it is inconceivable that he is still employed.

on a related note, though, here is yet ANOTHER Patriots coach that sucks...I knew it was coming... it a one of them have been any good after leaving Belichick.

I would NEVER hire a NE assistant....and especially more so that punk ass fucker McDaniels. That guy is a loser just like these other guys, but he can also dump on top of that being a sleazy asshole who goes back on his word.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Looks like the Belichek coaching tree isn't bearing fruit. Those other teams have ownership that gives a shit.