Any looming cuts at OL that the Jets can still pick up?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for about 4 years now, but the offensive line has been ignored for so long and has got to be the most suspect part of our team. I'm okay with the left side of our line, but Breno Giacomini and Brian Winters are garbage. Is there anyone out there that the Jets could pick up that are may be a casualty later in the preseason?

2. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Real question is can we pay them in anything other than talcum powder, baby oil and no tears shampoo.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The question is has anyone seen any reports of how Ijalana is looking at RT? Once upon a time he was a 2nd round pick in Indy who projected as a RT in the NFL. If he can get it done maybe the jets cut Guacomole

4. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

You can't say its been ignored. It just hasn't been effectively staffed. Multiple draft picks and free agent $$ have been committed to the O line.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Around here not using a first round pick = ignoring sometimes

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If winters or breno are going to be replaced its going to be from someone on the roster. Its a little late to be looking elsewhere for starters

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Well it appears he's moved ahead of Qvale, and may very well be the swing backup T if Giacomini gets on the field soon anyway.

It looks like Johnson, Dozier and Ijalana may be the first three backups. I think Winters is entrenched at RG now, but who knows? Maybe Ijalana or Shell can advance ahead of Giaco at some point?

8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Not sure there has been a decision yet - seems they are splitting reps fairly evenly - although will agree 100% if Ijalana starts the second preseaon game

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...b1095-e66f-4ec6-9330-8a8daba20d78?campaign=tw

Nice thing is neither has been getting too many negative reviews for their efforts to date

Walt White likes this.
  9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as bad as it seems.

LT: Clady - stud if healthy
    LG: Carpenter - really underappreciated player
    C: Mangold - still a solid starter
    RG: Winters - will have to prove himself
    RT: Ijalana/Qvale - I really think Giacomini is gone otherwise we'll have 5 OT on the roster (with Shell). Ijalana has been here for so long, I think he's healthy and has regained the form that madehim a 2nd round pick before multiple ligament injuries. Qvale is a guy that was atalked up last year as well as this one and was competent as a swint tackle last year. Hopefully someone runs away with the job.

Back-up OT: Qvale/Ijalana + Shell - The FO clearly believes Shell is a good prospect, at least capable of being a back-up if they traded up for him.
    Bac-up OG: Dozier vs Harrison - multiple years in the system and versatile vs talent but apparently a bit lazy.

Could be a lot worse. I agree Winters could be upgraded but all in all looks adequate to me.

#9 Mambo9, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    FJF likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good point. That goes for all positions we saw against Jax. They could still be mixing and matching looking for options

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Kerry Jenkins is 40 now and still better than Winters

TNJet likes this.
  12. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I can see myself at that Long Island bar back in April, 2012 yelling "take David DeCastro!" Quinton Coples????!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!!

TNJet, Run_N_gun10 and RPOZ51 like this.
  13. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We could trade Geno to the Cowboys for Ronald Leary.

15. Dozier lost his spot on this team against Jax in my opinion. Very disappointing.He showed some promise his rookie season & some growth in year 2 beating the odds w/ a new head coach & making the squad. He had all offseason to step up including 1st team center in OTA's while Mangold was away & against the Jags as the starting Left Guard. He was definitely the weak leak both in front of Fitz & Geno.Unless the Jets plan on fully converting him to center where he wont be in the phone booth as often..there isn't really much else to see from him. He's completely ineffective as a guard

The Jets continue to miss on mid to late round guards. Ducasse,William Campbell,Dozier...Is Jarvis Harrison next? 7 snaps against the Jags..granted he looked much better than many others on roster during that small handful of plays. Is the problem in the player, the scheme or the player development? Unless there's a late swarm of signings there will be an elite crop of guards available in upcoming Free agency..That area of the team seems like an easy choice to improve.Same with the idea of drafting a guy early..perhaps an eventual Center when Mangold is done who can compete/add depth at Guard early.

Tackle actually looks pretty solid at the moment. Clady is great while both Ijalana & Qvale are steady at RT.Shell looks to be the future at the very least as a good 6TH OL/Swing Tackle or as the long term Right Tackle solution. You gotta wonder if 1 of those 3..Ijalana,Qvale or Shell wouldn't be a short term upgrade to Winters at RG.Just sayin.

16. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

OG Chris Watts was a guy who caught my eye a little bit in the JAX preseason game. He was quick off the snap & seemed to pull very well. I think he should get a much longer look tonight.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

While the Jets were burning 1st round picks on the likes of Wilkerson, Richardson, and Leonard, the 'Boys were burning 1st round pics on their O-Line. 'Boys have a GREAT O-Line but suffering on the D, opposite of the Jets. Great D-line but need help on the O.

You get what you pay for I guess, but I like our top D-line better than having jags on D and having a great O-Line. We had a great O-Line just a few years ago (Rex era) and we didn't win it all.....this time lets try a top D-Line!

18. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I was doing the same thing from draft night at the Stadium!

My friend thought I was losing my mind.

But then DeCastro got hurt early in his rookie year, didn't he?

19. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Everyone that wants Breno gone just needs to put on the 2012 season and watch WFH. I still live with those nightmares. O-line is thin but solid if they can avoid the injury bug.

FJF likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You might be right, but if the "unofficial" depth chart bears any relation to how Bowles sees things, you aren't. On that depth chart, Dozier is Carpenter's backup at LG. I didn't watch Dozier specifically, but don't recall his playing badly vs Jax. Who do you think is better? Wesley Johnson blows chunks imo. Harrison is so bad he didn't even play last week (unless the Jax announcers were wrong and he's injured). At OG, the only two players at the moment who I see could be better than Dozier are Watts and Qvale. Qvale's the primary backup at RT, and I'd rather he focus on improving there as he could wind up starting. I haven't watched Watts closely or read that much about him one way or the other, and I haven't heard if he can play center.