Another tie between the Jets and Ed Oliver

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Drob wasn't misused in college like Oliver was ... No one in the NFL is thinking about putting him in as a 3-4 NT, he still had a pretty good pass rush productivity rating even playing that position in Houston, being triple teamed with no talent around him. Also, in terms of being an athlete, Oliver is several notches above. People actually thought he could play linebacker

FJF likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Agreed, drob was a good 3t in the cover 2. His knees and giving up 2 1s was the problem followed by the scheme change.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Two days left to pray to the football gods that this is just a smokescreen.

4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

if the guy turns out to be Aaron Donald v2.0 everyone will be happy. This puts BPA to the test because as a lot of people note we have strong needs elsewhere (e.g., edge, O-line) and good talent in the draft at those positions.

(For all we know, they have someone interested in Leonard Williams)

Personally, I have little faith in Macc picking later in the draft and would prefer another impact player on a rookie contract. If they think that's Oliver, I trust their judgment more than mine. Hoping they pick wisely. At least a pick like this shows independent judgment. The media wouldn't fault them with picking Allen, Bosa or Williams. But if they pick Oliver over any of those it shows they're making their own decisions

5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i feel like this has been said about every stupid dt the jets have drafted since 2011. Im done with these "dominate interior pressure" lineman. Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Williams, Shepard, IM DONE!

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

No to the Sheldon retread.

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I miss Snacks

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

been reading up on the latest rumors. form what i can gather

1) jets don't like allen so he won't be the pick
    2) oliver has slid up the draft board but is still behind williams
    3) Jets don't expect bosa to even be there or at least haven't said a peep about him. they didn't even meet with him. if he slips to 3 that would be a dam shame if we pass on him out of not being thorough.

this leads me to believe that the jets will take williams if he's there at 3 (seems like 3 will be a choice between williams, allen, and oliver) or try and slide back for oliver. After watching oliver and the film i think for us he projects to be a 3-4 OLB. he reminds me of Adalous Thomas the ravens 3-4 OLB from a little bit ago. Seems to play under 280 and could be looking to drop a little more weight and come off the edge. he isn't a DT in the NFL and i don't see him as a 3-4 DE either. The jets seem to prefer him off the edge over bosa or allen.

Williams I still don't get. we just locked in anderson to a 3 year deal who played well and leo is on his option year. Q would be a 3-4 DE for us, he isn't a NT so he would be a back-up as a rookie 3rd overall pick. that's kind of nonsense to me and a waste.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Parker lewis

Sounds like the Jets would've been willing to do a Frank Clark trade that included a first round pick swap (#3 for #21). The Chiefs deal probably makes more sense over the long haul for the Seahawks, but sitting at #3 on draft day would have been amazing.

10. 101GangGreen101

Believing in rumors before the draft?

chandler and FJF like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

could all be smoke screen but last year the rumors were pretty legit for most teams.

12. 101GangGreen101

Not the Jets that's for sure.

13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

14. GasedAndConfused

yeah it was. the jets always loved darnold but didn't believe he would be there. everyone knew we were taking a QB so for the jets it was mayfield/allen/rosen and most rumors were out board was darnold, mayfield, allen. then rumors came out mayfield was going 1st (and those were right) many thought the giants would take barkley. the onyl pick out of the top 10 that was a surprise really was ward at 4 to the browns over chubb

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not ideal taking Q over Allen, but it’s WAY better than taking Oliver.

Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

I still don't think we take anyone at 3. I think we slide back for more picks. Maybe the raiders will want to jump us for a QB so another team doens't trade with us, maybe the bucs want to jump OAK to get williams. should be interesting. I'd love to slide back. ideally if the giants gave up their 2 1sts for our 3rd that would be perfect. they can get a QB we can taylor at LT and then with the 17th overall pick get an edge rusher and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

17. 101GangGreen101

they said they would take Rosen over Darnold so rumors before the draft tend to be smokescreens

18. GasedAndConfused

that never happened lol. i'd love to see that cause i sure as shit ddin't see that last year. jets were enamored with darnold but never expected him to be available. everyone knew he was the pick for the jets if he fell.

19. GasedAndConfused

i found one article from bleacher report (lol) that linked supposedly to shefter stating it but the link went to shefter saying mayfield was going to go 1st overall and i found that article discussed on another jet forum with people laughing at the source. it was no better then incarceratedbob lol

20. 101GangGreen101

Uh no, like I mentioned before there was a rumor that said they would take Rosen over Darnold which was the point of the discussion to not believe rumors before the draft cause someone is intentionally putting out smokescreens