Another tie between the Jets and Ed Oliver

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Apparently "due diligence" doesn't include bringing in Joey Bosa.

6-10 once again likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where I don't really care who they take with their 1st pick as long as he becomes an All Pro. Ideally this would be a LT, or maybe a C, but I don't think any of the prospects that play those positions are worth a #3 pick, so the next greatest need would be someone who can get to the QB. DTs aren't usually known for this (see Leo), but there are exceptions (see Donald). If Q. Williams or Oliver can be like Donald, great, but I'd say the odds are against that. I much prefer the "safer" route of taking a proven pass rusher like Allen or Bosa, or even one of the "Tier 2" pass rushers if they trade down a bit.

The bottom line for me at this point is that this team MUST get it right NOW, whatever they do.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If they dont grab one of the good centers with a 2nd should they acquire it, I might throw my remote.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They better get a lot more than just a 2nd round pick and another pick somewhere. If Mac passes on taking Allen and trades down to 7 at a minimum he better get 2nd and 4th this year and at least a 2nd round pick next year, if not a first.

5. NCJetsfan

They'd better not! If they get a 2nd round pick they better freaking take the best C prospect they can.

6. spinjani

spinjani Member

From the Espn article about Oliver:

The psychological strain of his injury and questions about whether he would play all seemed to boil over in a nationally televised game against Tulane on Nov. 15. In the second quarter, Applewhite approached Oliver on the sideline when he saw the lineman wearing a black, puffy jacket that team rules designated for active players and tugged a corner of the jacket off Oliver's shoulder. Oliver felt singled out and, as the team entered the locker room, the altercation continued, with an incensed Oliver shouting at Applewhite, shoving a teammate and needing to be restrained from getting in his coach's face. The next morning, the scene was all over the national sports media.

Applewhite was roundly criticized, but the confrontation also led to pundits asking questions about Oliver's behavior, his priorities, his ego.

Everyone involved is eager to pour cold water over the whole thing. Oliver refuses to even talk about it, swatting the question away with a wave of his hand. Applewhite, now an assistant at Alabama, is more forthcoming, but only to lavish his former player with praise and chide the media for taking an interest at all.

"So, a guy got called on not following the rules like the other guys on the sideline, and he took exception to it. Now all the sudden he's a bad guy, he's an uncontrollable guy with an attitude problem?" Applewhite says, voice rising with exasperation. "Give me a break. Why are we talking about this?"

Applewhite can't stand the idea that a TV clip would come to characterize him as an insensitive coach or Oliver as a problem child. And he insists there was never any pressure from the program for Oliver to put his future at risk by playing.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  7. spinjani

spinjani Member

8. spinjani

spinjani Member

Just saw an interesting video with another viewpoint, mostly blaming the coach for putting up with Oliver.

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes it would include a pick next year too. I was talking about picks for this draft .

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. mrjet80

I’m pretty sure they did bring in Bosa. I was thinking his name was omitted .

11. mrjet80

Yes they’re going to take a C at some point . Maybe they take the C in second round if they get a second rounder and they take a CB in third. Or maybe the other way around. It depends where their chips fall......maybe Jenkins slides .

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

13. mrjet80

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Must have been the MAGA hat. Chris Johnson IS a pretty progressive guy.

(This was a joke not intended to start a political discussion)

Leicester Jet and Catfish Billy like this.
  15. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Oliver would be worse then Quinnen by far. Shitty attitude, shitty sack production for his measurables all while playing at a shitty school.

16. NCJetsfan

You may not mean it in that way, but "at some point" sounds a bit lackadaisical and like it doesn't matter when as long as they take one. I would disagree with that. I could be wrong of course, but I think there are only 3 centers who have a chance to start day one: Bradbury, McCoy and Jenkins. If Risner plays center rather than RT, then it would be 4, but imo it would waste some of Risner's talent to play him at center.

IMO they can't risk hoping that Jenkins slides. I believe that both McCoy and Jenkins will be gone by the end of th 2nd round and McGovern may be as well. If they get a 2nd round pick then they need to use it on a center. If they don't trade down, then all they can do is hope that there is a decent center prospect left at their 3a pick.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  17. mrjet80

No we all realize center is important I just am not sure if they grab one in third round, fourth round, or if they trade up into second round to get one. I have a feeling they are focusing on two different centers with one being the fall back option .....

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm a liberal and that's dumb. If Bosa's the best player, draft him.

19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Jets scared the hell out of me when I heard they liked Geno & Hack, then picked them both. There
    seems to be a huge "mole" in the building!! I will not be pleased with Oliver at #3.....

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

The pick would certainly require cajones, suggesting it would be influenced by coaching staff (who at this point I trust more)

the Pros: he's not on a stacked team like Alabama. (Sometimes those guys produce because they're on a dominating unit and you can't double everyone.) Shows some independent thinking, not following the media; everything else being equal I'd prefer a dominant DT to edge. Edge sacks are sexy, but having a guy up the middle, in the QB face all day long (e.g., Donald) is more disruptive over the course of the game

Cons: very risky pick. Somehow with number 3 I want more of a sure thing (realizing that there's always risk)