Another No-Trade 2022 Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by joelip, Dec 29, 2021.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Hit the simulator again with new draft positions based on yesterday's results and with an eye to the thread's comments (I have to admit that the database grossly undervalues Dean and Wydermyer):

2. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

A possible roster in this draft scenario:

OFFENSE:
    QB Wilson, Flacco (FA), White (FA)
    RB Carter, Brooks (R), Johnson, FB Bawden (FA)
    WR Moore, Davis, Jamison (R), Crowder (FA), Berrios (FA), Ashton Dulin (FA)
    TE Wydermeyer (R), Kroft (FA), Yeboah
    OT Fant, Moses (FA), Becton, Edoga
    OG AVT, Ekwonu (R), LDT (FA)
    OC McGovern, Feeney (FA)

DEFENSE:
    DE JFM, Carl Lawson, Johnson (R), Huff
    DT Q, Fatukasi (FA), Shepherd (FA), Marshall, Ridgeway (R)
    LB Mosley, Dean (R), Williams, Sherwood,
    Nasirildeen
    CB Hall, Castro-Fields (R), Echols, Carter II, Guidry (FA), Dunn
    S Marcus Wison (FA) Richardson (R), Davis, Pinnock, Riley

#22 joelip, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Crowder is gone, and I think Moore will be a good player but he’s not like Steve Smith. Smith was a 6’4” bully in a 5’9” receivers body. I see a lot of Chris Godwin in Moore and that’s a good thing.

I like it but I think at this point, Dean might even sneak into the top 10. I think there are better options than Jameson Williams (Wilson, Burks, London). I’ve never been a big Wydermyer fan as I prefer McBride from Colorado State, Kolar and the kid from Iowa. That’s just preference though. I think where JW gets drafted will be determined a bit more by how he runs. He could run in the 4.6 range and fly up the boards.

#23 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you have to play the draft where it lies as well.
    CB isn't a good pick for us. we are pretty good as it is now. it's our best unit on defense by far. adding a gy in the 3-5th rounds would be fine and before you say no remember hall and echols were both late round picks. kylar gordon could maybe be aorud in the 3rd or a josh jobe in the 5th.

we need edge, S, and Lber badly. as well as RG and TE. maybe a WR and RB late as well. the way I see the prospects now, hamilton may be the bets bet in the 1st if hutch or KT don't fall to us. even then if hamilton is around with our 2nd 1st it's a no brainer IMO. Our 1st 2 picks ideally should be edge and safety if hamilton is there and if not trade down. no position of need for us is worth it in the top 10. the 2nd round will be good for RGs and TEs and the 3rd and 4th can cover WR, RB, and CB.

5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

No question you have to play the draft where it lies, and I generally agree with your position valuations. Hutchinson/Thibodeaux are predicted to go 1-2, so this leaves us with Hamilton as a premier athlete. If Hamilton goes 3, we're left with the choice of one of the cornerbacks (Stingley, Booth, Elam, etc.), one of the remaining edges (Karlaftis, Ojabo, Jackson, Johnson), a linebacker (Dean or Lloyd), a WR (Wilson or Williams), or an OL (Neal, Linderbaum, or Ekwonu).

I'm in favor of building a young OL that can grow together into a cohesive unit. This would have ramifications for protecting Wilson in both the passing game and the running game. Neal is the popular OL choice amongst prognosticators. I am leery of oversized linemen, though, and I like Ekwonu, who can play RG next year and move to one of the OT's in the future as needed.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

honestly if KT, hutch, and hamilton went 1-3 that would be a nightmare scenario for us. I also don't think that happens. I don't think neal will be passed up in the top 3. jax needs o-line help badly. I think at orse case we can land hamilton at 4 and with 7 maybe trade down or take karlaftis

joelip likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see Moore as a #1 WR. He's just too small. I think he's more of a gadget-type like Deebo Samuel, an invaluable member of the WR corps and a very good #2, but not a #1. I think a #1 should be at least 6'1", 215 lbs., great hands, at least pretty fast, and can win consistently at 50/50 balls.

8. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I'm coming around to the idea of taking a #1 receiver with the Seattle pick. Personally, I would take Williams because of his speed, length, and game breaking ability. Yeah, I get the traditional #1 receiver idea of a 215 pound guy who can overpower DB's, but I think it's been shown that a top threat can win consistently with speed and quickness.

So I'll go ahead and take Williams in the first, but I still believe that there's no reason Moore can't have Tyler Lockett type production (i.e., 1,000 yards receiving every year).

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With this offense, I think it's totally feasible for both our #1 WR and Moore to have 1k yard receiving seasons. I think I would be very happy with Williams. I agree that height, quickness and speed can work/win for the #1 WR.

joelip and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

It may not be a total disaster if Hutch, KT, and Hamilton go top 3. For example, this possible simulator draft gets us the offensive players we need, an edge rusher, an athletic linebacker, and some good DB's.
    A possible roster in this draft scenario:

OFFENSE:
    QB Wilson, Flacco (FA), White (FA)
    RB Carter, Brooks (R), Johnson, FB Bawden (FA)
    WR Moore, Davis, Williams (R), Berrios (FA), Ashton Dulin (FA), J. Smith (RFA)
    TE McBride (R), Kroft (FA), Yeboah
    OT Fant, Moses (FA), Becton, Edoga
    OG AVT, Ekwonu (R), LDT (FA)
    OC McGovern, Feeney (FA)

DEFENSE:
    DE JFM, Carl Lawson, Johnson (R), Huff
    DT Q, Fatukasi (FA), Shepherd (FA), Marshall
    LB Mosley, Walker (R), Williams, Sherwood,
    Nasirildeen
    CB Hall, Gordon (R), Echols, Carter II, Guidry (FA), Dunn
    S Marcus Wilson (FA) Richardson (R), Davis, Pinnock, McKinley

#30 joelip, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  11. GasedAndConfused

honestly that draft is pretty bad. only pick i like there is kylar gordon in the 3rd. the johnson pick in the 2nd isn't bad

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Words cannot describe how much hate I have for the term "WR1"

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  13. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Well, nobody knows for sure who will be solid pro players in any draft. but I think Ekwonu, Williams, and McBride all have a good chance (in addition to the players you mention).

What players would you consider worth drafting in what you consider the "nightmare scenario"? Most of us agree that trading down is probably the best Jets option, even with Hamilton on the board at pick 4. But what do we do if we can't get good trade down deals on draft day?

14. GasedAndConfused

depends on what shakes down obviously. I think the only 3 players worth targeting at 4 are KT, Hutch, and hamilton. If all 3 are gone then trading down if possible makes the most sense but if we don't have that option i'm not loving anyone else at 4. ideally if one of those 3 fall to 4 (i'm thinking that hamilton should be there. I'm assuming for now KT, hutch, and neal are the 1st 3 taken then we can trade down from 7 for more picks and play the board from there. with our 2 2nds I think RG and TE are the way to go. we can address WR in the later rounds. realistically our top 3 going into the offseason will be berrios moore and davis so WR isn't an instant need like TE and RG are. we need talent all over the defense too. we need an edge, safety, and LBer.

For this draft is no way ekwanu worth a 4th overall pick and plus OT is just not a great choice for us. becton is our LT and fant our RT. that's a great duo already and plus we can grab a developmental OT later on to replace fant (I really like obinna eze in the 5th) or worry about it another year. we are set at OT for at least 2022 and maybe 2023 as well. only thing we really need on the o-line is a RG (in the 2nd zion johnson, lecitus smith, and ed ingram are all viable options). even banged up our o-line has been average, we can have a solid o-line with what we have right now. Williams isn't worth the 7th overall either. no WR this draft is worth a top 10 pick. If we traded back to later in the 1st then I could live with a WR that slips. The 1st 2 picks here are bad which ruins the rest.

I do like johnson in the 2nd if he falls that far (he's likely a late 1st though) if we didn't get an edge before that. I don't like mcbride that early in the 2nd at all. I think wydermeyer or likely are better options. If we traded down to the end of the 2nd i'd be ok with mcbride

I love kylar gordon in the 3rd. I do think he's gonna shoot up boards after the combine though and wind up being a 2nd rounder. If he's there in the 3rd though it's a no brainer IMO

walker in the 4th I like. a guy with potential who hasn't shown anything yet and still learning. that's the type of players you use a 4th on so no complaints there. I wanted pappoe but he's staying in college another year. would be nice if muma falls there but I think he's going in the top 100. I also think walker goes top 100 and I doubt he's there in the 4th for us

the other 3 picks I don't really know enough about to judge but I like the positions. double safeties fill a need and we do need a RB to pair with carter. personally for late picks there at safety I really like tykee smith and isiah pola-mao. both are 6th round guys. if we traded back to get some extra 6ths we could grab both and more picks. for RB I like cj verdall in the 6th as well. he should have been a 3rd rounder if not for the injury.

15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Thanks for the analysis. I respect your knowledge and your unique point of view. While slightly different from my own thinking, I find your analysis thought provoking.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

everyones point of view is valid IMO. you never know which one will pan out. always good to have different ideas as long as they aren't insane (like you know bringing tebow in at QB)