Andrew Luck Retires

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FJF, Aug 24, 2019.

1. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Im sure Peyton was glad he got out of there in hindsight. He went to and won as many Super Bowls in Denver, as he did his entire career in Indy. Indy is not a good organization, Luck should have left instead of re-signing with them.

PabloJa likes this.
  2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Boy did the Jets catch a break....if he retires after 2016 or 2017 when he got killed and was injured, the Colts NEVER trade their 2018 #3 pick to the Jets and probably take Sam Darnold themselves.

How is THAT for 'what-if' ???

jetsclaps and Sam Hammer like this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

5 of 6 of his seasons, he was really damn good despite having a shit o-line and no rushing game. Plus their defense wasn't amazing. As much as I believed Luck was overrated coming into the league, most teams would kill to have had a QB of his talent the last six years, including us.

4. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Glad someone noticed too. I watched the whole thing and I ended up feeling that he’s not really retiring. It was something about his demeanor or the way he answered the questions but I could notice it too. Did you watch the owner’s conference? With Reich and Ballard? I swear Jim Irsay talked about it like he was just taking a break.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

First step as they say is denial. Irsey was probably high on cocaine too

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He's pissed. He needs a new stadium and isn't likely to get one. He thought he would get multiple Lombardi's with Andrew Luck and he never got even a SB appearance. He thought he had 30 years of top QB play between Manning and Luck and that didn't pan out.

And worst....he is probably in denial and shock. Had Luck made this AFTER the 2017 season, the Colts have the #3 pick and can take Darnold.

Instead, we got him !! :D

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Luck's timing stinks. This isn't a announcement that should be made two weeks before the season starts. March would've been a more appropriate time I think.

They have reason to be upset I would be too.

Ralebird likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Some guy on the radio this morning (I paraphrase)

"I completely understand Luck's decision. He has been an injury cycle that he said takes 'the joy' out of the game. It probably feels like a job and not a game to him"

newsflash it is a fucking job. SMH.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I logged into Twitter and saw the post where the Colts announced the trade back in that 2018 draft. Everyone laughed at the Jets.

Feels good to be on the winning side LOL

JetsKickAss likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Does he? Lucas Oil opened in 2008.

Ralebird, TonyFtLaud and abyzmul like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's made almost 100 million dollars doing that job, anyone who made that much money doing something they don't love would retire.

12. BrowningNagle

If a regular person signed a contract to do a job though, and quit on it early, they would have to return that money

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I gotta say i heard this announced during the jets preseason game and even though i'm not a colts fan, I felt really bad for them. it's a shame since fans never look at the other side of playing in the NFL. We treat players not like people, but as objects. Luck made a good decision for himself so he can lead a normal life and heal before the toll of the NFL ruined his quality of life post retirement. and what did he get for that after being a great QB for the colts over the past 7 years? boo'd and shit on by selfish fans. I wish luck the best and hope he enjoys his retirement

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

being allowed to quit early is part of NFL contracts. most people retire when their contract is still active. same way teams can cut a player mid contract. NFL contracts don't work the same way that they do in other sports. Also if the colts wanted to, they could get back some of that money as well but chose not to. the lions did it to calvin johnson and took back 1 million. the fins did it to ricky williams as well when he abruptly retired. The colts owner is choosing not to do that

15. HomeoftheJets

The Colts can go after part of his signing bonus (though they aren't), but they can't take back the salaries they've already paid him. That's stipulated in the contract. And there are many jobs like that, people quit them and don't have to pay back previous years' salaries.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

The Colts are making a mistake. I have to believe they think he's gonna change his mind in the future or something. Otherwise why would they let Luck screw them over like that?

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Comical how fast people forget this. Getting paid to play a game for a living is as good as it gets. I wish I had the chance to just say I don't find my job fun anymore and retire. Jobs aren't supposed to be fun.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

Maybe they think he'll come back, maybe not. Maybe they're just grateful for the good things he did for them. Not that it would matter much anyway, make him give back part of his bonus and he (and the Colts for that matter) would still be rich.

19. BrowningNagle

Its like $30 million or something, total. that's a significant amount even for rich people

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If you had millions in the bank, you could ;)

Sam Hammer likes this.