And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

..but they've been productive when they have opened It up more on 1st down by allowing Zach to pass. Especially with PA. The stats show that. I don't agree.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

28 seconds in. The Jets are the only team that is not roughing the passer.

3. IIMeanDeanII

This was worse than the call against Huff. He got called for roughing, helmet to helmet, but I don't think his helmet ever touched. It was a high sack but he somehow kept his head back when he sacked him.

Meanwhile... You get an obvious arm/hand to the helmet. Crickets.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it is so hard to believe this. I thought we had smart people here.

We have Breece Hall averaging over 7 yards per carry, which is incredible. He toted it for almost 200 yesterday and I come on here this morning and the complaint is that the Jets need to throw it with Zach Wilson more.

what in the fuck?!?!

SackRecord99 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

you can't consistently run vs 8 man or 9 man fronts. we literally saw it vs dallas and the pats. it's simple math. are you just trying to troll or what? no one is saying they need to go washington commanders and throw it 55x in a row with zach wilson. jesus christ. running a few PA passes on 1st down is going to light the box for breece to be.. BREECE.

burf, REVISion, RevisIsland18 and 4 others like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Now I am "trying to troll" for saying it is better to give the ball to Breece Hall???? WOW!

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach did a good job of letting Breece move the offense.

SackRecord99, Jets81 and stinkyB like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

A: It clearly does.

I'm not sure how your brain works, but you really struggle on anything that takes logical sense. have you ever heard of "grading on a curve"

9. GasedAndConfused

so why are you ignoring all the mistakes he's made?

10. GasedAndConfused

but that doesn't account for things out of his control like injuries or the fact we have a tough division every year.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So your grass is now respectable. Perfect example. You did what was needed to improve and keep the grass. If you were unable to turn that around you would have gotten rid of it after you tried to save it. And that only happens in the present. The fact that your grass was bad with the previous owner does not mean crap now. If the grass was perfect to start out with and now is a mess then what? Is that not the foundation. Russell Wilson has been putrid the last three seasons. History before that means little now except to recognize the stupidly of his contact based on prior stats. Same with Geno Smith. Baker is getting new life now Are they worrying about his past now? Life time stats defines the career of an individual. no argument. But to establish if a guy remains in the NFL yes or no is based on the present and only on the present performance. CJ Mosley had a stellar career, but he is now a shadow of the former self. Same thing with Brown. Should we continue to keep them because the past history is so favorable. The only thing that will be relevant to the decision to move forward with Zach is based solely on what he does this year. That"s my point.

#431 LAJet, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is pretty much my view on him…

- Yes, I’m happy that he’s cleaned up the easy completion layup throws that he would screw up way too often in the past, and that’s reflecting in his completion rate, which I believe is now about 61% on the season - HUGE improvement compared to his prior ~54% rate…glad to see that
    - Also agree that we’re seeing fewer of those egregious off target throws where the ball is 5 feet over a receivers’ head or in the dirt

So happy to see some of that improvement…it’s a step in the right direction for sure

On the other hand…

- I still think he’s one of the worst starting QBs in the league, and that sucks for a second overall pick
    - our offense still struggles to maintain drives … seems like he’s good for like one good drive per game lately but that’s it…still too many three and outs
    - our offense totally bogs down in the red zone because the spacing tightens up and if we don’t run it in, he hasn’t been able to throw it into the end zone for completions…part of that is the playcalling which has been too predictable in the red zone but still…that’s because the coaches don’t trust him yet
    - Still making some very bad decisions…like the dumpoff last week on 4th and long, like the end of the first half yesterday, etc. He should know better by now

So sure, I’m happy to see some progress, and if he can continue to improve then we’ll be in a few games if he can complement our D and Breece Hall…

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Mac Jones is shit.

Also, 15-10 is far from "humiliating" another team. Mac sucked that game too barely completing half his passes.

Yet I'm the one called a troll for trying to be positive about my own team.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That play INFURIATED me!!

How the FUCK was that NOT called!!!!

It was so blatant hit the helmet and even a bit of a facemask grab there. The announcers even said it was a hit to the head area.

How in the WORLD was that not called

I’m STILL angry about that…Brady, Mahomes, Allen…anyone else gets that call.

Total bullshit

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, I never said Hackett's game plan or play calling yesterday was terrible, but it was still predictable, especially in the RZ. And I understand why he would go run heavy, not only because Denver sucks at run "D", but because Zach did make some questionable decisions early in the game. But that's part of Zach's learning curve. They need to let him make mistakes - within reason - and not be so quick to put the cuffs back on him when he does. I do see some signs of that happening, but there's a balance they need to get to.

And as I pointed out in several posts, if Breece had not had a career day that game plan would not have looked so solid. Hackett was also bailed out by Breece's brilliance yesterday, not just Zach. Saleh and Hackett may want to have a more conservative offense and trust the defense to win games for them, but in today's offense-driven league that's a recipe for losing. They need to create game plans that allow that to happen because Zach has the tools to execute it. Will he make mistakes? Of course. But so will everyone else. It wasn't Zach creating all those penalties, or sloppy tackling allowing RW to keep drives going and making things difficult. And it wasn't up to Zach to settle for FGs instead of TDs - I'm not saying that it was wrong to take the sure 3 points necessarily, but they seem too quick to play for that outcome with the play calling leading up to that though. It's like they think, "Okay, we have a FG locked up. Let's play it safe and not risk anything". Maybe that's "sensible", but it's not effective for generating lots of points which is what today's NFL is geared towards.

Bottom line is that they're not going to be able to win consistently if they don't get more aggressive on offense. Playing conservative and counting on the defense might keep games close, but they'll often just be close losses. And whether you lose by 1 point or 30 doesn't matter, so they might as well become more aggressive and less risk averse.

burf, NCJetsfan, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And I love - /S - how the announcers didn't even mention it. It was blatant RTP, but no flag. Woody needs to be sending every bad call to the league office and demanding action. The anti-Jets bias is blatant.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think if you wanted to argue that Zach is NOT the worst QB starting in the league right now your three best cases are Mac Jones, Bryce Young and Josh Dobbs. But Jones has beaten Zach head to head in the same conditions and often at least arguably with a worse team surrounding him the last 75 times in a row so that is a bit of a heavy lift.

Gun to my head I'd probably rather take Zach than those other 3 guys just on personal preference but he's hardly a clear cut qualitative superior to any of them. And that is horrible.

But any which way losing Rodgers and having only hope as a backup plan has obviously left us in a sub optimal situation this season. And is one of the reasons I'm not ultra sympathetic to the "OC is an idiot" school of thought. Most especially from last few years when every time another QB got a try, sometimes even in the same game, the Jets offense IMMEDIATELY started moving far more effectively.

One of the tragedies here from a pure curiosity perspective is that Aaron Rodgers went down so fast we never even got to see the Jets in operation with him. I suspect things would be absolutely night and day if he were in there and healthy but obviously there is no way to prove it.

18. IIMeanDeanII

I agree It was predictable In the RDZ. That Is It though. It was a very balanced attack yesterday, with pass run mixed In throughout each drive. Again, the stats and play by play prove that.

26 Pass
    27 Runs

They did allow Zach to play yesterday too, It was just In a more managed role because of the run being so successful yesterday. Breece didn't bail out Hackett. Hackett was the one that called the play, designed to play, implemented the play. He's the one that called the game that allowed for this offense to put up 400 yards on their defense. Hackett never needed to be bailed out. I just don't get the argument.

..and It was on Zach to take a FG or TD. He didn't even try to throw It In the end zone when he had the chance to do so. Instead he elected to check It down on an obvious play that you just can't do that on.

It wasn't Hackett making those penalties or making mental lapses In obvious situations In the football game.

Again, I don't get the blame with, Hackett. Dude called a really good game yesterday, had a good game plan, and It resulted In a win.

You can make that argument with any player/coach situation In the NFL by the way. If this player didn't do this, this, or this. The coach's game plan wouldn't look so solid. Of course It wouldn't, but that's obvious with any player/coach situation. If Tom Brady didn't light up the other team, the game plan wouldn't look good. If Patty Mahomes didn't make good QB plays, the game plan wouldn't look so solid, etc....

He leaned on his top offensive player, It worked. That made It a good game plan. How can you knock him for that? Makes zero sense to me.

If It was so predictable, you don't get that type of production. Which we seen when the offense was predictable against NE and Dallas.

I still don't agree with you there. It was a very balanced game yesterday play call wise, I didn't feel It was predictable.

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

That was a weird play and I was wondering this at the time live. I'm ignorant of exactly what the rule is. Are you not allowed to touch the QB's head at all? The way the Denver guy was running past him he almost had no other choice (other than to not touch) and it wasn't especially rough or vicious but by the same token it was ALL head and/or facemask.

I guess since its against the Jets is OK though. They can just suck it up.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah

Technically the rule is you can’t hit a QB in the head. Period.

we’ve all seen plenty of calls where the DL is trying to bat down a pass and in that motion their hands slide by the QB’s helmet and if they make contact, it’s a roughing penalty.

Seen it dozens of times…many of them totally ticky tack. Brady was the master of getting those calls.

This was blatant, and he also grabbed a bit of facemask. I couldn’t believe that wasn’t called. It was ALL helmet.

That was utter total bullshit…and the fact that the NFL fines coaches if they complain is just as bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.