Analyzing the playcalls against Buffalo - Every offensive play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Oct 29, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Drive 12 continued...

11:32
    3rd and 5
    BUF 24

[​IMG]

Power I formation, TJ runs off guard left, gets into field goal range, but the length of his run is caused by a stupid hold by Hartsock, who has his fingers locked into his man?s shoulder pads. Bad move by Hartsock, a gain of 10+ is turned into a loss of 5, and the Jets are now pretty much out of FG range.

11:12
    3rd and 13
    BUF 32

[​IMG]

Sanchez is visibly anxious on every passing play now, this is a simple corner route by Keller, a nice touch pass ahead of DK could have resulted in a 1st down, but Sanches rushes the pass and Keller hasn?t even turned his head yet. He wasn?t even under pressure, the protection was excellent.

(Ensuing play on 4th down is the busted FG attempt due to Weatherford bad hold, throws INT)

2. abyzmul

Drive 13

9:25
    1st and 10
    NYJ 8

[​IMG]

The Jets get pinned inside their own 10 yard line again, Bills special teams is admirable. That in itself is a nice chess match, Westy versus April. This play is a false start by Keller, no pre-snap motion, Sanchez is making a big deal about the crowd noise, motioning for quiet.

9:25
    1st and 14
    NYJ 4

[​IMG]

Now the Jets are pinned inside their own 5 yard line. Perfect time for trickery, right? 3 receiver set, and the Bills are already reading a run. Leon runs off guard right for a meager gain of 2 yards. For some idiot reason, they had Clowney running a fake end-around, running THROUGH THE FUCKING ENDZONE. Why??? Only the Raiders would fall for something stupid like that. This is an illustration of Schotty trying to get cute, and arrogant.

8:45
    2nd and 12
    NYJ 6

[​IMG]

Trips left, Wright is all alone on the right, which obviously means we’re not throwing right. Hartsock runs a read motion, the Bills are reading pass. Sanchez looks Edwards and sees him covered, and immediately throws the dump-off to Leon. No downfield blocks are set up, gain of 6.

8:06
    3rd and 6
    NYJ 12

[​IMG]

Sanchez makes a 3-step drop, pump fakes to Leon, and the looks to Keller and throws the ball behind him for an incompletion. Keller had nice separation from the defender, and while the pass was badly thrown, it was catchable. Waste of a drive, combination of bad playcalls and bad execution.

#22 abyzmul, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. abyzmul

Drive 14

7:14
    1st and 10
    NYJ 46

[​IMG]

The Jets have good field position and plenty of time on the clock to march downfield. Keller motions right for a power running set, and Brick jumps before the snap, false start.

7:14
    1st and 15
    NYJ 41

[​IMG]

Same formation, same motion, probably the same play. Jones off guard right and hits the hole quickly for a gain of 5 yards. If Hartsock had held his block for another second, TJ could have broken this for a long run.

6:37
    2nd and 10
    NYJ 46

[​IMG]

Sanchez takes a 5 step drop, looks at Clowney for his first progression and then snaps his head to Keller’s position and throws a pass 10 yards over DK’s head to nobody. The only good thing about this play was that there wasn’t a defender where the ball came down.

6:32
    3rd and 10
    NYJ 46

[​IMG]

Shotgun formation, the Jets have nice pass protection for Sanchez, plenty of time, but there is excellent coverage and all receivers are covered – except Leon in his dump-off route. Leon is all alone on the right side, near the 1st down marker, and Sanchez doesn’t even look at him. He makes 2 progressions, makes a pump-fake to Keller, and throws to Edwards, who is double-covered. The ball is intercepted and the Jets lose the game after this drive on a Buffalo FG.

GAME OVER.

REPLAY

4. abyzmul

It was probably more work to type it out and draw up the formations, but I had some free time and I love this stuff.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Excellent work Abyz. This is the best thread I've seen in a long time on here.

I remember Winston talking about the '04 Jets running the ball against a stacked box all the time prior to the season. We were all talking about how we're really lacking that Anthony Becht type player to do that, but it seems as if we've found that by simply bringing another o-lineman in. Whatever works. Ground and pound baby.

You eluded to Schotty's impatience a few times. I'll bet that had a lot to do with the passing success they had the week prior with the new toy in Braylon Edwards. It seems as if Rex may have laid down the law with Schotty though. He really stuck with it against the Raiders and it worked. Schotty really struggled with getting into a rhythm in this game.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Nifty shit Byz.

7. abyzmul

Thank you.

I was pretty skeptical of the idea of bringing in an OL guy like Turner as a TE, but it has been working pretty damn well. Hartsock is also a blessing, he is an excellent blocker. I just wish Keller would work more on his blocking, because he is a liability most times.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Definitely an excellent blocker.

9. 624

624 Banned

Thanks a lot for doing that Abyz, I didn't look at it all yet but I will over time, looks good so far.

10. Ten

Ten Active Member

This looks amazing,I love this kind of stuff.I wish I had enough free time to do this.I get round to reading this in full later.

You should check out profootballfocus,they mark where everyone lines up on every play.

11. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

great job with that

12. 624

624 Banned

It's funny how many plays can be for huge gains if just ONE more person executed right, this analysis made me hate Schotty, I'm glad we have a ballsy coach in Rex that will tell him to cut the shit and play like a man. Mangini wouldn't have.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

someones got wayyy too much time on his hands

14. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

An extra big body guy in for blocking does wonders and Turner does a good job...Keller is better off (Sanchez too) looking for a ball to catch. Nice breakdown of the formations, you could put some of those clowns at ESPN out of a job!!

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Seconded, this is amazing. :up:

16. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

WOW. You should submit to a website as a part-time gig. LOVE the analysis

17. Chrebet Fo' Ever

Read every one, GREAT analysis. I've been soft on Schotty for awhile no. No more, I'm glad he adjusted away from some of his early, constant motion shenanigans, but I thought we had run it more than this. And excellent points about not using Shonn Greene more in that game, I think Oakland proved he has a skillset.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Website? Will all due respect, this content is better than the internet deserves. I can't believe this is free. I'm clicking ads.

abyzmul, you are special.

#38 twown, Oct 30, 2009
  19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Great thread!

At the end of the day if you want to run the football it comes down to blocking and tackling. The idea that you can't run the ball against a stacked box is only true if you want to run with to many skill position players who can't block. If those skill position players aren't taking tacklers off the field for coverage players you can't run. If they are you can.

The Dolphins are running the wildcat exactly for this reason. They get an extra blocker on the field to match up with a stacked box. A stacked box is also highly volunarable to big break out running plays. When an O actually matches up and creates a seem against the stacked box their aren't a lot of defenders past that first line of D to stop a play once it gets out of initial containment.

Great running teams put blockers on the field and run the football. Because the rules have been significantly changed to favor the passing game teams have shifted to more balanced offenses or have become outright passing teams, using the short passing game to replace the run altogether to force more skill and less tackelers on the defensive side to match up.

When the Jets unloaded Becht and KMack they lost the ability to match up. than Curtis went down the team under Mangini and Tanny went in another direction entirely. The Jets are primarily built to pass the ball now but Rex wants to shift us back to a running team.

I don't hate Shotty I just think he isn't in the right situation with what Rex wants to do. This team for all it's talent lacks identity on both sides of the ball and that's along with integrating a rookie QB is part of a rebuilding process.

#39 winstonbiggs, Oct 30, 2009
  20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Um, wow. Do us all a favor and forward this to the New York Jets. Pronto. They could use the breakdown if they dont already have it...(chances are they do, but still..)