Amazon’s ‘TNF’ begins a new era of streaming for the NFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by mute, Aug 19, 2022.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I really hate that I can't watch on the NFL network anymore. Most of the time, I don't care about the teams playing unless it's the Jets or Giants, but I liked to check in from time to time to see what's happening. If it's a close game at the end, I might stay with it. I have Prime but it's a good number of remote clicks to get it up on the screen, not worth it. They lost this fan.

ouchy likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Dear fucking god how hard is it to click a remote control lol

KingRoach, cval and bicketybam like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This was one of the worst rollouts of a service that I can recall in the media age.

We started off on our LG Smart TV with the Amazon Prime video app and it displayed the game clearly, as the headline no less, but we couldn't get it to play no matter what we tried. It offered us an option to record the game but all attempts to play it failed.

The Help option in the LG Amazon Prime app was literally no help at all. In fact it sent us in circles doing things that either did not apply or that did not work if they applied.

20 minutes into the ongoing fiasco we switched over to the Roku Amazon Prime app and straight into the game no problem. The LG TV we were using was circa 2017 so definitely not an obsolete model.

Based on our experience last night I am guessing that a significant number of people that wanted to watch the game were unable too last night because it was locked behind a proprietary streaming app that just did not function properly on some devices.

mute likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m still watching TNF but the inability to jump to another channel during commercials really sucks. I think that’s what he means

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

They need to work on the sound. The sound was poop and sounded as if it was analog throughout the broadcast. Picture quality was OK for me on my FireTV. I assume they are using HDR for the broadcast too as the colors popped off the screen. Unfortunately, no 4K resolution in 2022. We're still doing 1080i / 720p for sports in America...

6. K'OB

If that's what he means he should have said that, it is like the wife, not 30 minutes ago as we were looking at curtain poles...

WIFE 'No, that's isn't right it is too long'

ME 'It is the same length as the other one'

WIFE 'I meant it is too thick'

ME 'One of you is anyway'

Silence :D:D

Brook!, mute and bicketybam like this.
  7. K'OB

5 years in a TV life is obsolete

5 months in a PC life is obsolete

lol

Brook! and bicketybam like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Your TV is 5+ years old.....an eternity in today's tech.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Imma guess that half the households in America have a TV that is 5 years or older as their best TV.

That's a lot of people that were trying to watch TNF on an 'obsolete' TV last night.

10. K'OB

I thought America was the land of the free and everybody has 5 cars, microwaves in the third toilet, every power tool under the sun in one of the three garages you possess.

So I thought that you had TV's in every room in the house, maybe even two, if you have a big enough man's den.

or is that just sitcoms?

My first really good TV was a Sony Bravia, 15-17 years ago, still got it, it is in the gym room, the tube went before the warranty expired, got it fixed and it lasted until replaced by a shiny new toy, it went in the kid's room and was used for Xbox until 4 ago or so, now I wipe dust off it once a week lol

mute likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Through-putting 4K is not easy... or cheap.

12. westiedog1

Not hard, but to watch a few minutes of the game like I used to do, it's not worth it. I use a programmable remote that works well with the devices it's programmed for, but does not work completely well in streaming services, so it often becomes a headache to switch programs within each service. Often I have to exit and then reenter just to change a program because the "back" button doesn't function, unless I go to the draw and get out the original cable remote. Again, not worth it to watch a few minutes of football. If the Jets were playing it would be okay.

13. K'OB

Well you certainly made it sound complicated enough there :D:D:D

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

People still have cable? I watch everyyhing through my fireTV, YouTube tv, Sunday Ticket, Amazon and all the other streaming services the wife subscribes to.

I would never.go back to cable. One remote one Input.

mute, KingRoach and westiedog1 like this.
  15. westiedog1

Old habits die hard. We probably should do it that way, but my wife is the least technical person I know on this planet. She knows how to use the TV format the way it is. I don't want to have to teach her a whole new way of doing things because when she can't find her show, I get called to duty. Also, we will probably be moving to CA in the near future to be near the grandkids, so we'll have the opportunity to do the streaming thing when we get there.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Total cost for all those subscriptions vs. the already too high cost from cable or dish companies?

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am still way ahead

JETFUEL1580 and KingRoach like this.
  18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I have zero issues as this year we updated our HT screen since we canceled our tix.
    If I go to another channel asa you hit the prime button it goes exactly to where you left off. No menu diving.
    It's the closest thing to changing the channel in an app menu that i've ever experienced.

I was hoping for a UHD version even if for the replay after the game ends but nope... Greedy Jeff. Even during the pandemic they made the decision for prime members to pay extra for UHD versions.
    They seemed to have changed their mind on that real quick...

Either way, it's no different than your basic 1080i HD that you get locally. No stats, no sub channel ...just the NFL.

mute likes this.
  19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

"It’s only the first week but it looks like Amazon’s media deal with the National Football League is paying off.
    Prime Video broadcasted its first “Thursday Night Football” game last week as part of an exclusive 11-year deal worth $1 billion annually.
    The game, which was a dandy, saw the Kansas City Chiefs defeat the Los Angeles Chargers, fetched a record number of Prime subscriptions according to a staff note from Amazon’s VP in charge of Prime Video, Jay Marine:
    • The game brought in more Prime sign-ups over a three-hour period than any other day — including Cyber Monday, Black Friday, and Prime Day. The cost for Amazon Prime is $139 per year. Marine added that the game drew a record primetime audience for the service in the U.S.
    Amazon was targeting 12.5 million viewers per game. “Thursday Night Football” averaged13.2 million viewers in its last season on Fox.

Brook! likes this.
  20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Final numbers in and they just got over that target of 12.5 million @Royal Tee

Nielsen pegs Amazon’s Week 2 Thursday night viewership at 13 million

Amazon overpromised and, officially, barely overdelivered.

Nielsen, which was retained by Amazon to generate TV-style ratings for the non-TV broadcast of last Thursday’s Chargers-Chiefs game, has pegged the viewership for the game at 13 million.

Amazon raised eyebrows by telling advertisers that the Thursday night package would generate an average audience of 12.5 million viewers. Nielsen has, one week after the game was played, announced that the final number for Chargers-Chiefs was 13 million.

If the number is true and accurate (and frankly who the hell knows?), it’s much higher than the estimates from industry insiders.

Read more here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ek-2-thursday-night-viewership-at-13-million/

Royal Tee likes this.