All Time NFL Running Back finalists No Curtis Martin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Biggs, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Curtis had 8 TDs in 10 playoff games.

He also had 1100 yards in 10 playoff games averaging 110 a game. Harris had 2060 yards in 19 games averaging 106 a game. You cant say Curtis didn't produce in the playoffs. Harris also had 10 fumbles in 19 post season games. Curtis had 1 in 10 games.

Martin didn't disappear in the GB SB? He only had 11 rushes and still had an 18 yard TD run. He also had 3 catches for 28 yards. In the Denver game our whole offense went to shit. He only had 13 rushing attempts but also had 5 catches for 39 yards. Davis has a lot of yards because our defense was on the field the entire 2nd half due to 5 turnovers. And Davis was the MVP of the league that year.

Franco averaged .1 yards more a carry but Curtis had 500 more carries. That is kind of a big factor.

#41 ouchy, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. The 96 Pats that went to the SB had the No. 3 ranked passing O in yards and were 2nd in attempts. They were 22nd in attempts and 26th in yards running. Terry Glen was a plus 1000 yard receiver and they also had Shawn Jefferson and Ben Coats had 62 catches on the Pats SB team. Dave Meggett also had 33 catches on that team out of the backfield. The 1998 Jets were ranked 4th in passing yards and 13th in rushing yards. Both Johnson and Chrebet had 1000 yard seasons on that team.

FYI Testeverde was spectacular in 98. He had 29 TD's and 7 INT's. He was a great deep ball passer. Teams could not load the box against the Jets in 98.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Curtis Martin had 412 Touches in 1998. The entire rest of the Jets team had 416. But you think he wasn't the focus of that offense.

Likewise, CMart had 362 Touches in 1996, while the rest of the Pats had 439.

There is no year of Harris's career where he approached half his team's offensive touches, even at his best in '78, he was putting up 332 vs the rest of the team at 521.

ouchy likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I love LT, I wish we got him a ring in 2010. He only had 2 years with us, but he’s one of my favorite Jets. Played hard, great runner, great receiver, and a class act.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That's not the argument you made. The fact is Martin played on two teams that were highly effective throwing the ball and throwing the ball deep. Not only that both teams had great blocking TE and on the 98 Jets often put both Keith Byars and Kyle Brady on the field at the same time. Even with a loaded box we ran schemes that put a blocker on a tackler. The idea that you presented of Curtis Martin plowing into stacked boxes as the O was simply BS on both teams.

We had 544 passing attempts and 2 thousand yard pass catchers.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

Oh. I was sure it was.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

We had an amazing offensive line that gave Vinny a million years to throw. It was fantastic, and my favorite year of being a Jets fan ever. Keyshawn and Wayne were both possession-type receivers, and they were effective deep because the line gave them time to get open (well, and Wayne was great bringing in impossible catches, and Key was pretty excellent at grabbing contested passes).

Also, a whopping 145 of those 544 attempts were to RBs or FBs, including 57 to CMart.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not to mention Louie Giammona

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Keyshawn was also a great blocker in the running game and for screen passes to Curtis. Kyle Brady couldn't catch a cold but he was great at sealing the edge. We had both a great match up against a staked box and a great deep passing game. I always thought Vinny was a bit of a bum but the guy could throw the crap out of the ball and that year the coaching staff did a great job with him. He rarely made a mistake. He had a fantastic arm.

That team was one of the few Jets teams where the officials treated us okay. Vinny actually got the call on the sneak in the Seattle game. That never happens to Jets teams. That was probably the best Jets team since 68 with an all time great coaching staff.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I never saw him play but his size/speed combination made him unique in that era. If you go back and watch the old highlights you can see what they are talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

No love for Marinaro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Great sauce

Wahoo likes this.
  13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Clark Gaines

14. Dierking

Kevin Long

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

Billy Mathis

16. Dierking

Scott Dierking

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. matt robinson 17

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Martin should've been on that list. I mean, seriously.. You all know who this man is, what he did, the numbers he put up, the style of play he brought to the game. Yeah, fuck that, he should've been on that list.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

O.J. Simpson is a waste of space on this list.

He was one of the most talented humans to ever play the position, and one of the most effective RBs of all time, sure.

But he is not making the final cut, because reasons.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Anyone who saw his slashing running style knows he made the final cut.

NCJetsfan and TwoHeadedMonster like this.