ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Incentives possibly?

Also in the article it mentions Kenyon Coleman has overtaken Kimo at RE...Huge huge plus.

2. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Jets are taking advantage of this situation. 5 years is the norm here, they are trying to leverage this guy and that's wrong.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, exactly. What else is going on here? I really hope this agent isn't riding the Kendall situation to the detriment of the team and his client.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That would be horrible, but do you think Revis is naive enough to be manipulated by his agent in a manner that would further the agenda of a guy who's he's probably never even met? I guess manipulate is the key word.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Why is that wrong? And what situation are the Jets taking advantage of?

I ask out of curiosity, not to be a jerk. My standpoint is quite different than yours.

The way I see it, the Jets are well within their rights to demand a 6 year commitment. Firstly, the ability to create a 6 year contract was agreed to by Revis' predecessors in the league, as part of the CBA. It's not as if the Jets are trying to violate rulings made in the past. They're playing by the rules.

Secondly, football is a business. An investment business actually. Yes, it's a sport, but every decision made carries a risk. It is the responsiblity of any business, but especially an investment business, to protect their assets long term. That is exactly what the Jets are trying to do. They put a significant risk down to pick Revis, and while that is not Revis' "fault" it is a risk taken by entering the draft, and therefore becomes his problem.

Lastly, this CS/FO has proven that they will not be bullied by anyone, quite the opposite attitude of the previous regime. To pull back now, and submit to Revis' demands hurts the team long-term. Eventually, Revis will be wearing Green and White. Eventually he will be a starter on defense. In the meantime, we have a squad of corners who can play, regardless of their overall talent level. Given that no Jets fan should honestly be expecting a Super Bowl run this year, there is no problem with Revis coming in a couple weeks late, and learning on the sideline for a week or two into the season.

I would love to hear your viewpoint though. I'm not saying my argument is the be-all-end-all, but I just think that one day, when some other guy is trying to get his way, and Revis has shown to be a star that we waited out, we'll be thanking Tanny for having the guts to do what was right, financially, for the team.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It is and it's a shame that Thomas and Okoye signed six year deals giving the Jets the ability to pull this stand. Without those two they wouldn't have had any chance of this getting so far.

The guy in this draft really getting screwed is Jon Beason where Carolina is trying to force a new type of contract down his throat that has never been used in the NFL before. No second year bonus money at all. Carolina doesn't give a crap either. They did the same thing with Jason Peter years ago and he ended up having to relent. Their take is take it or sit the year out.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Why would it necessarily have anything to do with Revis? Is he even in the room when negotiations are going on? His agent could be double-talking everyone, who knows?

As for naive enough, we're not talking about semi-retired NASA scientists here. This is a kid right out of college. I know when I was that age, I didn't know shit. (Of course, at the time, I THOUGHT I did.)

All he's probably hearing right now is "The Jets don't want to give you the opportunity to make the money you'll deserve down the line. We should hold out. I'll get them to bend."

Who knows? I don't really care. It'll all get worked out.

8. akibud

akibud Active Member

Both parties are within their rights.... that being said, I am waiting to see who caves. As a Jets fan, I understand what the club is trying to do. They are looking at their financials and deciding what works best for them. That is a clear indication that they really won't and don't give a sh&t about the player, they will discard them at a moments notice, if its whats best for their financials.

That brings us to Revis. When the team is making it clear by their actions that they are all about the money, the players will be best served to do the same, especially when they can work for a different team and realize their financial goals there.

People need to realize that it was not until AFTER the patriots won the SB that players started to forfeit wealth to stay on board. The Jets have not really proved that to this point.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets will never cave. He will. Clubs can't ever cave or there can never be true negotiations in the future because you would know the outcome before you start.

I should rephrase that. Now that it has hit the papers, the Jets will never back off. If they did then the next guy they draft who wants a 5 year deal would know that if he held out he would get it. Before it got public it would have been easier to resolve.

#109 Don, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  10. akibud

akibud Active Member

I see....... well maybe they will just come to a compromise of 5 1/2 yrs then:rolleyes:

Glad you re-phrased!!

11. akibud

akibud Active Member

does anyone know if last yrs 2 first round picks signed 6 yr deals????

Because if so, that would certainly be a good reason why the FO is standing firm on this yrs pick. Not to be consistent, but more because if this yrs first round pick signs a 5 yr deal, that puts him on schedule to resign the same yr that last yrs picks are due and thereby leaving the team with 3 first round picks to resign at the same time. That would be a hell of a lot of signing bonus cash!!

12. GreenMachine

Mangold and Brick signed for 5 years.

These are last years 6 year signings:

Mario Williams, DE
    Reggie Bush, RB
    A.J. Hawk, LB
    Matt Leinart, QB
    Jay Cutler, QB
    Kamerion Wimbley, DE
    Brodrick Bunkley, DT
    Jason Allen, DB

13. akibud

akibud Active Member

Excellent work GM!!!..

give the man his 5 yr deal!! and lets get on with some football

14. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I say this: first of all I was 1 of the first to show concern @ the situation on day prior to camp and even on day 1, suggesting that this schwartz guy was making himself quite influential as a result of the Kendall debacle. I was assurd that this wasn'nt the case and it would work out.... well look at us all now.....
    I truly believe at this point too much damage has been done, given the volume of information imparted to the players and the influence not only of Schwartz, but the Uncle that used to play in the NFL who it is reported to have advised His nephew that he sat out an entire year and that Darell would do the same to follow suit. Darell is believed to have STRONG family ties and indeed was at his Aunt & Uncle's has when he got the news on draft day(don't quote, I could be mistaken on this one... thought I heard it on draft day). Now I say this.... IF and only IF this gets worked out, what's to become of Darrell; does he step right into camp, does mangini make a goat of him, does he practice and absorb without missing abeat(is he THAT good), or is he in for a year of learning in special situations.... If allowed to step right in, what kinda message does that send to the rest of the team?

What are your thoughts/responses to these points/questions?

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

those players are seen as franchise players.. I imagine thats how the Jets see Revis- as someone they want around for 7+ yrs.... not to mention most of them had huge 1st yrs and have set themselves up to breakout this year

16. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

How about Mangold and Brick then?

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The guy will sign at some point, he's a rookie who won't be an impact player this year. The Jets are a team, Revis ultimately is less important than protecting the team. If the guy takes a hike for a year we will use the money to sign an impact player. This is about more than years.

18. akibud

akibud Active Member

to the Jets it is........ to Revis, its all about the number of yrs

19. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I'm pretty sure almost every player selected in the first round is seen as a franchise player

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You don't know that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.