ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Beason is getting totally screwed and shouldn't sign under any circumstances. The same crap Carolina pulled with Jason Peter years ago.

2. Don

I think there is no chance he gets a 5 year after Johnson signed a 6. If that isn't enough of a reason then ponder this. Pennington's contract would be expiring the same time as Revis's on a 5 year deal. D'Brick's too. Just no chance they could handle all of those at the same time.

#222 Don, Aug 4, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There is no chance that you can compare the #2 pick's contract and Revis' situation

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I've seen your comments on that. I don't rule out six years, but I don't think Revis is comparable to Johnson. 2 and 14 are two different universes, and I just can't equate them.

The better comparison for the Jets is Harrell at 16 - the cut-off. The reply argument for Revis is that Carriker and Timmons both signed five-year deals at 13 and 15.

5. Force

Force New Member

That's what I was thinking too. Revis (if he did decided to re-enter the draft) would have to sign a 4 year deal or else he would be waiting the same time if not longer to hit free agency had he just signed a 6 year deal this year. It is highly unlikely that he would ever re-enter the draft but even if he did it doesn't present much of an advantage for him.

6. CurtisMartin 28

why does he really care?

it's only 1 year difference....

7. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I'm really getting sick of the Jets FO being so unmoving on this, they need to get over themselves, give Revis the 5 year deal, and get this kid into camp. Both the Jets and the Panthers this offseason have been basically trying to screw over their first round picks, and sign them to deals unfair compared to those chosen around them. The Jets are trying to squeeze an extra year, and the Panthers aren't guaranteeing the money all other teams did.

It's getting to the point where I'm embarassed to have to explain the situation to people, and it bothers me to see support for the Jets on this dispute. They're being unfair, and I FULLY support Revis' decision to stay away. If I were him, I'd be doing the exact thing, and in the end it won't be him that suffers. He might not start this year, but he's getting paid either way (if he signs eventually), it's the Jets that lose the ability to plug in their first round pick in a serious role on the defense. Fans shouldn't be pissed at Revis, they should be upset that the Jets' arrogance is keeping the best players off the field.

8. Don

I'm not arguing that Revis is even close to Johnson. Just that he is a skill player in the top 16 who has signed a 6 year deal. Until then the only six year deals had gone to linemen. I believe , as I said above, the real problem for the Jets is having to negotiate with Pennington, Ferguson and Revis all at the same time. They would undoubtedly lose at least one of them to free agency because they wouldn't be able to sign one of them until they knew what they were paying the others.

Now they have something else (Johnson) to use as ammunition.

If they had done 5 year deals in the past or were more flexible on renegotiating before a contract expires this wouldn't be a problem now.

#228 Don, Aug 5, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  9. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

As I said, I think Justin Harrell is the best comparison for the Jets. Skill player or not, if Revis were being asked to be the lowest pick signing six years, the Jets would have very little to cling to.
    Code:
    1. Oakland		JaMarcus Russell, QB	unsigned
    [color=red]2. Detroit		Calvin Johnson, WR	6 years, $64; $27.2 guaranteed
    3. Cleveland		Joe Thomas, OT		6 years, $42.5; $23 guaranteed
    4. Tampa Bay		Gaines Adams, DE	6 years, $46; $18.56 guaranteed
    5. Arizona		Levi Brown, OT		6 years, $62; $18 guaranteed
    6. Washington		LaRon Landry, FS	6 years, $41.5; $17.5 guaranteed[/color]
    7. Minnesota		Adrian Peterson, RB	5 years, $40.5; $17 guaranteed
    8. Atlanta		Jamaal Anderson, DE	5 years, $31; $15 guaranteed
    9. Miami		Ted Ginn Jr., WR	5 years, NA; $13 guaranteed
    [color=red]10. Houston		Amobi Okoye, DT		6 years, $17.6; $12 guaranteed[/color]
    11. San Francisco	Patrick Willis, LB	5 years, $16.7; $12 guaranteed
    [color=red]12. Buffalo		Marshawn Lynch, RB	6 years, $18.9; $10.275 guaranteed[/color]
    13. St. Louis		Adam Carriker, DE	5 years, $12.8; $9 guaranteed
    [COLOR="Blue"]14. N.Y. Jets		Darelle Revis, CB	unsigned[/COLOR]
    15. Pittsburgh		Lawrence Timmons, LB	5 years, $14; $8.053 guaranteed
    [color=red]16. Green Bay		Justin Harrell, DT	6 years, $15; $8 guaranteed[/color]
    17. Denver		Jarvis Moss, DE		5 years, $15; $8 guaranteed
    18. Cincinnati		Leon Hall, CB		5 years, $13.6; $8.2 guaranteed
    19. Tennessee		Michael Griffin, FS	5 years; contract NA
    20. N.Y. Giants		Aaron Ross, CB		5 years, $13; $8 guaranteed
    21. Jacksonville	Reggie Nelson, FS	5 years, $13.2; $7 guaranteed
    22. Cleveland		Brady Quinn, QB		unsigned
    23. Kansas City		Dwayne Bowe, WR		unsigned
    24. New England		Brandon Meriweather,S	5 years, $11.6; $6 guaranteed	
    25. Carolina		Jon Beason, LB		unsigned
    26. Dallas		Anthony Spencer, DE	5 years, $9; $6 guaranteed
    27. New Orleans		Robert Meachem, WR	5 years, $11.3, $5.71 guaranteed
    28. San Francisco	Joe Staley, OT		5 years, $10.74; $5.6 guaranteed
    29. Baltimore		Ben Grubbs, G		5 years, $11; $5.2 guaranteed
    30. San Diego		Craig Davis, WR		5 years, $11; NA
    31. Chicago		Greg Olsen, TE		5 years, $10.696; $4 guaranteed
    32. Indianapolis	Anthony Gonzalez, WR	5 years, $10.3; $5.4 guaranteed

10. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

This is not embarrasing. Contract holdouts for 1st round picks happen all the time, its just that we haven't seen one since James Farrior in 1997, so we're a bit spoiled by having our 1st rounders in camp on time for the last decade. Everyone relax, Revis is not the linchpin to our season and even if he was, than if you assign that much talent to him to think he is the key to our season, than missing a couple of weeks of camp won't make a difference anyway because his "super talent" will overcome the missed work of camp.

11. Don

Beason and his agent are having a face-to-face with Carolina today. It will be really interesting to see if Carolina caves on that one, which they should. What they are asking him to do has never been done before since bonuses started being used to the degree they are now.

12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

funny. justin harrell signed a 5yr contract.

13. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

It's not embarassing because it's a holdout, in the case of 90% of holdouts it's the players' fault for it happening. It's embarassing because it's widely understood that it is in fact the Jets fault, and that they are asking for something unreasonable from Revis.

As for the talent argument, I think you missed what I was saying. Revis obviously isn't the "key to the season", but I'd like to see anyone argue that he isn't the most gifted CB on the roster. Having that type of talent wasting away on the sidelines as opposed to turning himself into a professional on the field certainly is not in the best interest of the New York Jets.

14. CurtisMartin 28

it sucks that he's holding out tho......cause once i heard that jamarcus russell was holding out, i laughed my ass off.....but, now i no wat it feels like............™

15. freestater

freestater New Member

I just want the freakin kid in camp.

16. CurtisMartin 28

doesn't everyone???...................™

17. zeike

zeike New Member

Wrong

The Jets are wrong on this one. Normally I'd side w/ the FO but both terms can work and the Jets need to swallow their pride and offer the kid a 5 year deal. They can even front load the deal to help mitigate the cap hit for the latter years of the deal since they have some money this year. At this point I'd hate to think it's ego that's preventing them from relenting on their 6 year stance.

18. zeike

zeike New Member

Beason

By the way, Beason just signed. Seems that some people can find reason. It's time to get everyone back at the table and figure out how to get this thing done and get Revis in camp.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Jets Need To Stand Firm With Revis

Didn't see this posted already..

Jets Need To Stand Firm With Revis
    Posted on August 3, 2007 by Dan Leberfeld
    Filed Under: Dan Leberfeld , Darrelle Revis , NFL , New York Jets
    I agree with the Jets position on holdout cornerback Darrelle Revis.

The 2007 first-round pick missed the first week of camp in a contract dispute.
    [​IMG]
    The Jets want to sign a six-year deal, and his agent Neil Schwartz, is demanding a five-year pact.

The Jets want to build through the draft, and locking up their players longer can help them do this.

Plus, Revis came out after his junior year. He's extremely talented, but very raw and needs a ton or work.

While he would have played a role this year, he wasn't going to start. 2007 is going to be like a redshirt year for him. He needs a lot of technique work.

It's in 2008 that he will likely emerge as a starter. So if he signs a six-year deal, next season, it turns into a five-year pact, when he's really able to contribute in earnest.

And don't expect Revis to cave in anytime soon. He comes from a middle class background, so he's less likely to panic and jump at the money..

Also, two major influences in his life, his uncle Sean Gilbert (former NFL DT) and cornerback Ty Law (from the same hometown), both were involved in contract disputes. They are probably advising him to be patient, and not give in.

But the Jets should hold their ground.

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

This is the ONE issue the Jets are wrong on....Revis needs to be in camp...

Revis is not THAT raw, Leberfeld make it seem like hes a project and a half, which is not the case at all with Revis....He could easily be a Nickle and possibly be a starter sometime this season...

I dont expect him to cave anytime soon, in fact, he could very well be the last 1st rounder to sign

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.